• This topic has 99 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • UKIP on cycling…
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you’re in any doubt of their position, its made pretty clear here!….

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/elections/2013maycounty/eastchesterton/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does he still think roads are funded by “road tax”?

flange
    Free Member

What an absolute fool.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

All cyclists are a danger, but cars are only a danger if not driven with care. Can you see what he did there?

What a plank.

mrmo
    Free Member

I hope to god he is a one off, somehow i doubt it 🙁

What really astounds me is that people vote for this bunch of loons, has anyone actually bothered to look at their policies beyond getting out of the EU?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What a complete idiot!

AntLockyer
    Free Member

It isn’t party policy though is it? Just the view of an absolute tool.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆
    Hilarious

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

nope, most of its party policy.
    http://www.ukip.org/media/pdf/UKIPmanifesto1304a.pdf

Also notice on page 4.. “A transport investment programme centred
    on high-speed rail lines, reopened railways”
    http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/2416-ukip-says-no-to-hs2

portlyone

Doesn’t cambridge have a lot of cyclists, won’t this harm his… oh.

tomtomthepipersson

Peter BURKINSHAW
    (UK Independence Party)

I am constantly subjected to verbal abuse from cyclist

Nice.

aracer
    Free Member

He must be trolling.

Mustn’t he? 😯

aracer
    Free Member

I am constantly subjected to verbal abuse from cyclist

I suspect that might become more literally true.

D0NK

think he’s going for the DM vote? He certainly isn’t trying to ingratiate himself with the interviewer. Going for the cycle growth backlash element? Shrewd move maybe?

(or they just got him on a bad day and his complete bellendery showed through his usually calm, politically astute, poker face image)

aracer
    Free Member

nope, most of its party policy.

Can you point out where? I read the transport bit and couldn’t find any of that mentioned – I’m damned if I’m going to read the whole of the UKIP manifesto.

christhetall
    Free Member

It isn’t party policy though is it? Just the view of an absolute tool.

No, they’re manifesto is very anti-cycling – including paying road tax, displaying tax discs and being excluded from various roads

You know those nutters who always post rabid comments on various new websites – the BNP in Blazers reflect their views

aracer
    Free Member

No, they’re manifesto is very anti-cycling – including paying road tax, displaying tax discs and being excluded from various roads

Fact or urban myth? There’s a link to the manifesto up there, and not a single reference I could find to cycling – would be very happy if you could correct me.

binners

I’m just pleasantly surprised he wasn’t offering tax breaks, or a free pint, for any driver who ran us over. Phew!

Sandwich

Can someone give him a few pointers to his “clue”? What an ill-informed oaf.

zilog6128

I actually wouldn’t be against this – if there was a corresponding massive increase in cycling infrastructure as well as harsher penalties for those who accidentally or deliberately harm/kill cyclists. Which won’t happen of course.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I actually wouldn’t be against this

If you damage a car, on a bike or otherwise, you are liable to pay up. The insurance just means the insurer pays out rather than the cyclist. It only protects the cyclists. its pointless demanding *other* people have it. And why attach it to the bike anyway? Its the person that needs insuring. only one country had this, Switzerland who recently abolished it because the cost of running the scheme was too high given the relatively rare payouts.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astra.admin.ch%2F00638%2Findex.html%3Flang%3Dde%26msg-id%3D41706

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I just read the majority of it and found myself in agreement with most (maybe)

10.1 UKIP supports pedal cycles as a healthy means of personal transport, but is
    concerned at the accident rate rising from 114 deaths in 2003 to 148 (2005), and the fall
    in regular cycling according to the Department for Transport, despite so much promotion.
    10.2 We believe that there needs to be a better balance of rights and responsibilities for
    pedal cyclists, with too much aggressive abuse of red lights, pedestrian crossings and a
    lack of basic safety and road courtesy.
    10.3 There is also substantial amounts of bicycle theft, as David Cameron can testify to
    personally. The British Crime Survey records c.440,000 bikes are stolen every year, but
    many thefts go unreported. Halifax Home Insurance estimates a bike is stolen every 65
    seconds in the UK.
    10.4 According to CTC, the national cyclists’ association: “The police make almost no
    effort to catch bike thieves… What’s more, the few who are caught face derisory
    sentences” and this is reflected in a clear-up rate of around 5%28
    10.5 UKIP’s proposed new elected police boards could also put greater emphasis on
    tackling bicycle theft, particularly in theft hotspots such as London, Reading, Bristol and
    Oxford.
    10.7 UKIP believes that basic cycle and safety training should be made mandatory, and
    be funded in schools or via local authorities. UKIP supports the campaign work of
    national cycling organisations.
    10.8 Cycling on safe cycle routes, lanes, tracks and trails should be actively encouraged,
    particularly as a leisure pursuit. UKIP believes off road dedicated lanes are preferable to
    a confusing maze of cycle lanes on unsuitable or dangerous roads, which is problematic
    for cyclists as well as other road users.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The man’s a legend! When does his national comedy tour start? 😉

GrahamS

> paying road tax, displaying tax discs and being excluded from various roads

I actually wouldn’t be against this – if there was a corresponding massive increase in cycling infrastructure…

I would!

We already pay for roads and infrastructure, why should we pay for them twice when we opt for an option that reduces congestion, pollution, road maintenance, and public health costs?

VanMan
    Free Member

Just keep pointing out to these idiots that VED is based on emissions as such bikes would be zero rated anyway, just means more cost producing tax discs

study from 2011 put a figure on overall CO2 emissions from bikes

soobalias
    Free Member

peter burkinshaw
    ukip

soobalias
    Free Member

erm, the swear filter needs updating, i expected to see my post properly reflected as

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

[/i]I am constantly subjected to verbal abuse

More likely I feel

maxlite
    Free Member

what a tool 😯

GrahamS

They sound more like the views of random-annoying-bloke-down-the-pub, rather than a serious political candidate.

Which pretty much summarises most UKIP policy for me 😀

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

What a PRATT.Wonder if he can ride a bike?

MSP

To be fair he did manage to resist blaming the deadly cycling menace on the Germans, which is quite a restrained view from a UKIP candidate.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What a nob.

GrahamS

Wonder if he can ride a bike?

Q: “What experience do you have of cycling in the Cambridgeshire area?”

A: “None”

I suspect cycling is all a bit too European for him.

GrahamS

Nice summary of his previous policies here:
    http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2010/05/05/the-tab-election-profiles/ 😉

GrahamS

@aslongasicycle: “Just sent this email to Peter Burkinshaw, UKIP spouter of anti-cycling silliness:”

😀

Looks like a few others on twitter are also correcting him. And road.cc have picked up on it.

eyerideit
    Free Member

What an absolute f[b]T[/b]ool.

That’s better

warton
    Free Member

it’s just to tempting…

Peter,

I hear you like to walk around Cambridge. How pleasant. But hold on, who pays for those pavements you walk on? there’s no Pavement Tax is there?

STOP TAKING ROAD SPACE FROM PEOPLE WHO PAY FOR IT, YOU THIEF.

Kind regards
    Steve

butcher

There should be a stupidity tax. Especially for politicians, whose stupidity has a greater influence on society.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘UKIP on cycling…’ is closed to new replies.