Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • UKIP: Ban cyclists and the unemployed from our roads!
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

It will be interesting and instructive to see what action – if any – UKIP take against him.

oldgit
    Free Member

Any idea how many people cycle to work each day?

Well anyway whatever the figure is, if we all drive our cars to work instead that’ll ease congestion.

garage-dweller

Maybe we should have a working cyclists drive to work day but all make a weekend of it and then drive to work in/via his constituency on the Monday morning. I think maybe a nice wet windy winter morning would be a good idea so we can not only bask in the warmth of our air conditioned cars but also with no cyclists out that day we will be at work in just a few minutes.

Haze

Did he mention something about the roads becoming twice as clogged, so the same amount as drive cars?

colp

He did. But with bikes being so much smaller than cars the ratio must be at least 4 bikes to every car I reckon.
    The obvious solution would be to let the bikes have the roads and put cars on the pavement.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I think everyone should be banned from the roads but me! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Skimmed the thread so maybe missed someone making the point; I don’t think the unemployed contribute to congestion do they? Seeing as most congestion is caused by commuters going to and coming back from work. During the day and evenings, the roads are nice and quiet (apart from London).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s UKIP. You’re thinking too hard.

Northwind

ohnohesback – Member

It will be interesting and instructive to see what action – if any – UKIP take against him.

Farage will say “LOL, what a character eh? Good old Charny”

It’s impressively like the Al Murray vid though. “We’ll do something ridiculous- that’s common sense”

Lifer
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

It’s UKIP. You’re thinking too hard.

BOOOOM!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Asked whether he was concerned about any knock on effect such a policy might have on road tax receipts, he said: “What do you want, less cars on the road or not? Road tax is ridiculous anyway. It should have been put on fuel.”

Erm… 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bloody Zombie Maggot. There. I said it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Oh I do hope Lynton knocks on my door whilst campaigning, what an utter bellsniff!

amedias
    Free Member

So, can someone explain something to me, this chap has said some things which don’t stand up to even the slightest bit of logical scrutiny, which means one of three things:

1> he hasn’t thought any of it through, done any research etc. blah blah blah – basically being demonstrably incompetent as his ‘job’

2> he believes these things he says would work – basically demonstrably batty, ergo not fit to do his ‘job’ and possibly requiring medial care.

3> he knows it’s bonkers, knows it’s unworkable and has no intention of following through on it – basically lying his backside off (some might argue no different to any other politician then…) for some press exposure.

So which is it?

In any kind of employment there are normally competency and disciplinary policies in place to deal with all 3 cases, sadly I doubt any such policies exist, let alone are enforced in politician land 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

4: He’s a plant.

warton
    Free Member

There was a brilliant comment on one of the news sites covering this. the guy said that if we banned cyclists from roads, there would be no need for the HS2 high speed rail link.

Now I’m no expert but blaming motorway congestion on bicycles seemed a little harsh.

ibnchris

On the plus side…if you move cyclists onto pavements presumably that means we can hoon about on the footpaths as well 😉

BigJohn

Even Norman Tebbit thought it was a good idea for the unemployed to “Get on their bike” and look for work.

Norman Tebbit too moderate for UKIP? I haven’t heard anything so funny since I was told that Mark Thatcher was too dodgy to be allowed to live in Monaco.

binners

The scary thing is that I bet theres a serious amount of Tory backbenchers nodding in agreement with this ‘common sense’ proposal

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, I don’t know. Ever thought about what a zombie maggot might look like?

antigee

useful policy!

wasted some of my life reading the comments on one of the many click bait news articles moaning about the traffic chaos etc etc etc caused by the 1m minimum vehicle passing cyclist trial law in Queensland.

need to remember that operating the brake and then the accelerator is difficult and requires written permission from the drivers of following vehicles and also that all roads always have continous solid white lines so there were many “but I won’t be able to pass” posts

….and then….. it’s like Luther has arrived someone posts “what if someone is late for a job interview because they are stuck behind a cyclist?”

Well that’s it. A seminal argument and all hell breaks out and the issue becomes an unbelievable pile of toss.

With the UKIP policy its all sorted! The cyclist would be on the pavement and the car driver on the bus!

I had been so worried about this

kelvin

No, no there must be UKIP to balance the power there is.

Ha ha! If UKIP squeeze into the next government, there is probably NO ISSUE where they can help improve on the policies of any party they share power with. I can see no way that they could be anything over than more damaging to the economy, society, or management of public services than a single party government, or any coalition that doesn’t include them. Not a single way. I appreciate the idea that you may want any future Labour or Tory PM to have to negotiate with others, rather than dogmatically follow just their own party interests, but, no, not with UKIP thanks. Please no.

jimster01

The roads/country if UKIP get their way

martinhutch

What does Lynton drive, do we think? I’m going with Jaguar.

GrahamS

I’d be interested to know how he defines “benefits claimants” and where he gets that “six million cars” figure from.

According to the ONS there are currently only 1.91 million unemployed, and only 870,000 of them are currently claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance.

And I seriously doubt that all of them can afford to run cars.

So maybe he means ALL benefit claimants, which would be around 64% off all families in the UK?

richmtb

Personally I’m all for it.

Can we also remove pensioners from supermarkets at weekends?

I mean they have nothing better to do on a Thursday morning – the queues at the post office aren’t that long. So why do they insist on shopping on a Saturday and getting in my way.

Commonsense policies from a commonsense party

nullpointer
    Free Member

As someone who commutes by bike and whose houshold receives child benefit, I guess I’m the cause of all the congestion on the roads.

Sorry about that.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Seems like the UKIPers want to have this land all to themselves to do with as they please despite being in a massive minority.

I’m all for removing anyone who feels a sense of entitlement because they’re wealthy/read the Daily Heil/Tory/frothy-mouthed/etc and relocating them to a small island somewhere along with like minded folk.

If we establish a twenty mile exclusion zone around said island and machine gun any escaping refugees then reckon we’ve an election winning policy right here…

GrahamS

Actually even the Daily Heil thinks he is going a bit far which should probably give him a bit of a clue!

T666DOM

richmtb for prime minister, can we especially ban them from self scan, 24/7

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We need a blanket ban, duvets have made them obsolete.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

can we especially ban them from self scan, 24/7

Oh dear god, no, can you imagine the sheer hel for those poor people on the checkouts? self scan ONLY for UKIP voting coffin dodgers, checkouts for people who want a quick and easy through the checkouts with a pleasant hello how are you. Then have a laugh at the diddies trapped in selfscan land, a bit like Big Brother with one being evicted every week but without the intellectual conversation .

dannyh
    Free Member

Ahh Charnwood. What a pillock.

Hmmm, yes. Also from that fair borough here.

By and large it’s a nice place, but there is a significant sub-set of the population that are red-faced bigots who can’t stand the thought of sharing with anyone other than their mates.

It is not a coincidence that before UKIP came along it was a BNP stronghold. Now UKIP have come along with most of the same policies (but delivered by the ‘right’ kind of chap), it is not surprising.

Depressing, but not surprising.

jfletch
    Free Member

The scary thing is that this pillock does actually already have a small amount of power, he is on Leicestershire council’s transport committee.

People like this are the reason we don’t have a decent bike infastructure. And also pays testament to the logic that people who want to be politicians shouldn’t be allowed to be them.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

“Not surprising”? Really? For me it *is* surprising that a real person with some genuine pretensions to politics actually spouts this fascist vapid crap. I’m an affable chap with a ‘live and let live’ attitude – folks are entitled to their opinions however batshit they may be etc etc. But this hateful scumbag is entitled to nothing but a smack in the bollocks

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Appears he’s been suspended by UKIP – for being batshit mental or just being off-message I wonder?
    Now he’s unemployed can we take his car off him?

GrahamS

Quite funny watching UKIP apologists claim that it is some kind of conspiracy to discredit UKIP.

Like they need any help!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Appears he’s been suspended by UKIP – for being batshit mental

That can’t be right, I thought being batshit mental was a requirement to join the party

Northwind

muddydwarf – Member

Now he’s unemployed can we take his car off him?

We won’t need to, he’s a principled man and it’s Just Common Sense.

yunki
    Free Member

Gaaawwd bless UKIP..

This thread has made my day. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘UKIP: Ban cyclists and the unemployed from our roads!’ is closed to new replies.