UK Tyres 2.1 or 2.3?

Home Forum Bike Forum UK Tyres 2.1 or 2.3?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • UK Tyres 2.1 or 2.3?
  • Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

can't really say cos different brands come up different sized, even for the same size. if you get my drift 🙂

Depends on if you find yourself blatting down rocks I reckon. I prefer 2.1s for all round XC a trails but can feel worryingly skittish and bursty when going for it down the rock gardens.

And they vary in volume so much between models e.g. 2.1 HRs are really small looking.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Depends on the tyre- not just the actual size, but the design. For me 2.1 is the default with my nevegals, nice balance of grip and ease of rolling.

If it's for all seasons, fat tyres tend to do less well in mud and snow- thin tyres cut, fat tyres float.

soobalias

2.1 thin enough when the conditions are poor, big enough when its dry/fast.

that said 2.3conti's (grav, slash, speedking) cos they size up like other 2.1s

my old 2.0 spesh's were too big in all but the driest conditions.

nixon_fiend

OK, here's the context : I know there are too many variables to make it a sensible question but I'm trying to bring (import) a certain manufacturer's 650b tyres to the UK and if I initially supply one size.. which would be most popular? ❓ (disclaimer: I say "popular" in a niche-tastic context) 😉 )

el_creedo

2.3 Conti Verticals are ace – big volume protection, but feel smaller when they need to. I ride mine year round on my Five – snow/mud/rock/grass/gravel/sand/tarmac, and they're ace.
    Get the protection version, light and so safe, very confidence inspiring.

I even rode them on a fully rigid last week, and they were amazing!

cynic-al

I'd ask 29er and 650b riders, it's a different market.

thomthumb

i ride 29er (if thats relevant) and i like my tires big. currently running 2.4 Racing ralphs.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

In that case, I would say 2.1 if the brand measure "normally" or the 2.3 if the brand is generous with its sizing

stumpy01

I'd say 2.1, but only because most 2.3s & above won't fit in my frame….

I had about 1mm clearance in my rear triangle with Spesh Enduros when I took them to Spain and I stupidly bought them, fitted them & didn't inflate them fully as they were going on a plane. Got there &…..eek! Only just fitted.

clubber

I'd say 2.3 for that market but really, who knows what the niche-wh0res will want – probably whatever's hardest to get hold of so that they can be superniche-within-a-nicge so by saturating the market with 2.3s you'll probably ensure that they all want 2.1s 😉

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

There's no real answer to this, as it depends on so many things. Some 2.1 tyres are huge, some are as skinny as road tyres, likewise some 2.3 aren't worth the name. Where do you ride? what tyre pressure do you generally run at? what's the terrain like, rocky, muddy woods? How big are you? how clumsy are you? what rims have you got?

dicky

I'm currently running 2.55 Wierwolf LTs on one trail bike (FS) and 2.4 Racing Ralphs on the other (HT). After switching from narrower tyres ,I'm converted 😀 Both types are really fast rolling but also very grippy and reasonably light. The downside is you need wide rims and good frame clearance so they might not be an option.

nixon_fiend

All-round trail riding. In very general terms… which would you use as a tyre for all seasons if it had to be one or the other (I have a genuine reason for asking ;))

cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘UK Tyres 2.1 or 2.3?’ is closed to new replies.