UK state should pay for housing, food, transport and internet

Home Forum Chat Forum UK state should pay for housing, food, transport and internet

Viewing 17 posts - 321 through 337 (of 337 total)
  • UK state should pay for housing, food, transport and internet
  • patriotpro

it’s the 100,000s of people who do neither that are the issue. Why should they be funded ?

Are there really that many politicians?!

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

If you set it at a level where people can have a tolerable life, then significant numbers of them have no need to work.

You say that like its a bad thing. There will be less need for workers in the future, how else can we deal with that?

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

plyphon – Member

But it’s not very “universal” if some people net +£10,000 and some net +£0

I’ve got some green cheese, do you want some?

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

And that means if you’re lucky enough to have a job, you don’t dare get fired because there are millions ready to replace you at a moments notice. That means you end up working every shift possible to avoid being let go for not being a “team player” and you stay late every day lest you be accused of “lack of culture fit”

So the employer ends up with even more power over you.so millions of people do want to work…

I’m confused do people want to work or not?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Unless, again – i’m missing something in this concept.

It allows the poor to say “No”, and retain freedom of choice, you know; democracy. As opposed to forcing them to take ‘worthless’ and ‘shit’ jobs or otherwise their benefits are reduced or taken away, or choice as defined by the mafia current government

That’s what you’re missing.

yunki

This system could work if we could rely on everyone not to be complete ****.

That would involve people just happily going about their own lives without working themselves up into a frenzy about what their neighbours are doing (or not doing)

Never gonna happen cos too many people are pathetic **** moaning wankstains, completely incapable of taking satisfaction in their own lives.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

If you set it at a level where you can’t have a decent life, then you need means tested extras, in which case the system is no different to any other means tested benefit system.

It is slightly different.

Disability/carer benefits for those who can’t work – fair enough, they need more than UBI.

Currently, JSA is contingent on you looking for work and they take it away if you refuse jobs, no matter how shit (afaik). UBI would not be, which reduces the need for you to take shit jobs, and forces employers to make their jobs less shit.

In work benefits you only get if you are in work. UBI would top up a low paid or part time job, but also it would top up temporary jobs. You could work seasonally, quit when you want and still get money. You don’t get JSA if you quit a job voluntarily, do you?

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

jobs less shit.

or increase the pay for shit jobs.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yep. Crazy idea but maybe the jobs everyone wants should pay less and the essential jobs that we want someone else to do for us should pay more.

plyphon

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnifPfxK0Q[/video]

deviant

Economics 101

The government does not have it’s own/any money.

Any money the government has is your money, it’s collected in taxation.

No taxation and the government has no money.

Good luck with this plan as the massive wealth creating companies all scramble to relocate to more friendly economic countries.

Pure pie in the sky sixth formers thinking.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Dismissing something as pie in the sky thinking you know best – that’s pretty much 6th form thinking right there 🙂

I’m not saying simply hand out ten grand a year to everyone. I think the idea needs to be explored – a lot – before doing it, because it’s potentially world-changing, and maybe for the better. A lot of economists think it has legs too. Perhaps you’d better write in and tell them it’s just 6th form thinking. That’s sure to win the argument 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Yep. Crazy idea but maybe the jobs everyone wants should pay less and the essential jobs that we want someone else to do for us should pay more.

Yeah. I earn quite a bit, but I don’t work very hard. And when I do, it’s fairly enjoyable. I also get lots of flexibility from my employer. Fair? No.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Quantative Easing

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Quantative Easing

That’s one of several ways in which the government can create money. The main one I think is by regulating a fractional reserve banking system, which allows banks to increase money supply by lending far more than they hold in reserves.

enfht

Still not sure whether they’re dumb, communist, or dumb communists.

Viewing 17 posts - 321 through 337 (of 337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.