Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • UK not such a bad place, shocka.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

Obviously not a pensioner, unemployed, disabled, low-paid, school leaver…

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^this^^

Sometimes this place is proper shit.

Mostly though it’s no too bad.

stewartc
    Free Member

You will find its worse for them in a lot more other countries, at least the UK does have some sort of social security blanket.

Thats what I miss about the UK, everyone can see a cloud even on the sunniest day 🙂

MSP

It was all going so well up until “I love Britain, because if it wasn’t for Harry Potter, I would probably be illiterate”

M1llh0use
    Free Member

an american in “pointing out Bitish cliches” shocker.

🙄

(but i’m smiling about it on the inside)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Traveled a fair bit. There is a lot of cool places in the world but all have their issues – including the uk. As yet ive not been anywhere i want to live more than the uk. Including california ( which came close to being somewhere i want to live) new zealand and australia. You thnk the uk can be grey and misrable , try holland :/

I agree , uk isnt so bad.

Try being any of the above in a former soviet state or hell even in the good ole usa.

aP
    Free Member

And I’d never heard of shagatuni.com either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trail Rat, agreed!

North of the Bridge in SF got pretty close for me, though! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

was it the nightlife and “party atmosphere” you liked so much CPT

Took you back to your halcyon days at boarding school 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I certainly couldn’t live anywhere else permanently. A year or two maybe, but it would break my heart to leave the UK forever.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Same as above, I moved abroad to East Yorkshire once, only lasted 2 years before I had to move back to West Yorkshire.

muckytee
    Free Member

Ugh, somebody loves the UK for it’s black cabs, biscuits and tea. 🙄

People drink coffee mostly round here (Leeds) anyway.

I love Britain mainly because of it’s humour; the banter you get, various piss taking and satire and this nations ability to find a humorous side to all the crap that ever happens – oh and dark humour, a British speciality.

And yes I would miss the weather if I left the UK, because only in Britain can you return home feeling like you have genuinely achieved something just by simply being outside.

jam-bo

You thnk the uk can be grey and misrable , try holland :/

I was in Rotterdam last week. I think 50 shades of grey got its title from there.

tonyd

only in Britain can you return home feeling like you have genuinely achieved something just by simply being outside.

Like.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sometimes this place is proper shit.

Mostly though it’s no too bad.

It’s not really the country, it’s just people. Same problems everywhere, just some problems are better or worse in some places.

brakes
    Free Member

what a very patronising article.

Then one day an elderly lady told me to “move the f*** out of my way, love” and it clicked.

and naive to boot
    Wophat, why are you even reading the Huffington Post?

sparkyrhino

you still in quarantine B.A.Nana?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what a very patronising article.

Only in your opinion. I find it quite flattering and amusing.

Edukator
    Free Member

I love Britain, because if it wasn’t for Harry Potter, I would probably be illiterate.

😐

If it weren’t for STW I might miss Britain.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Everywhere is shit. 3rd world countries especially so.

But blighty is THE best of a very bad lot, beating all the other so called desirable countries.

Americans are just fick! Aussie accents are irritating! Canadians are too hairy and say “eh” too much.
    New Zealanders; see Aussies. French are “cheese eating surrender monkeys”. Spanish are obsessed with bulls and tomatos. Chinese eat cats and dogs! India – BLIMEY where to start. Everywhere else is too darn dangerous.
    And coming from me mixed race and all!?!

mogrim

I love Britain mainly because of it’s humour; the banter you get, various piss taking and satire and this nations ability to find a humorous side to all the crap that ever happens – oh and dark humour, a British speciality.

You get all that in Spain, but while the weather’s better, there are no proper pubs 🙁

Sandwich

India

does a very good curry!

Drac

No, as we don’t provide any benefits for them what so ever.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Sammich, if you like dahl and bits of goat; then yes.

Birmingham is THE best place for curry. Curry: a British invention.

dabble
    Free Member

People drink coffee mostly round here (Leeds) anyway.

Maybe in the city center offices but the proper yorkshire folk drink tea, and Yorkshire Tea at that. My mate drinks nowt but coffee (carpet salesman) and reckons tea is for wimps so i have this retort-

Coffee is drunk by receptionists and office workers, tea is drunk by grafters.

njee20
    Free Member

North of the Bridge in SF got pretty close for me, though!

+1, NorCal is about the only foreign place I’ve been where I would choose to live, and even then I see downsides compared to the UK.

I’m also in the ‘nice article’, and ‘this country’s alright’ camp.

Karinofnine

The geography is varied and wonderful across the counties, the built environment (did I just say that?) is sumptuous – from prehistoric to The Shard, there are no nasty things to kill us (no snakes, sharks , alligators, spiders, bears – you if the message), women have freedom, animals are less badly treated, I can walk around with my dogs pretty much when and where I want, we have food, drinking quality water, housing: fuel . . . No really severe weather events no earthquakes of consequence, free speech..
    Parts of the UK are beautiful, lots of it is remarkable.
    Yeah, not such a bad place.

muckytee
    Free Member

My mate drinks nowt but coffee (carpet salesman) and reckons tea is for wimps so i have this retort.

I want you to now put on your most many voice and say: “I want a skinny latte please” – doesn’t sound right does it? That’s because it isn’t.

Real men drink Tea.

I was stating a mere observation. I myself drink tea.

Edit: I sometimes get a bit fed up of people liking England for those cliche things, they are good in their way, but IMO there is more to this country; that far overshadows the sausages, beans and Queen Lizzie.

Edukator
    Free Member

free speech

Between gagging orders, 50/100 year secrecy orders, libel cases and fearing litigation if you spend a few minutes insulting a cold caller (see cold caller thread) I’m amazed that is in your list. Try posting what you really think about a few sensitive issues here and see how long it take you to lose your freedom of speech.

Mugboo

Me Dads had both his hip and knee done in the last 6 months & they even came round to the house for 2 weeks twice a day to give him phsyio. Suberb service 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

an american in “pointing out Bitish cliches” shocker.

Not! She’s Chinese-Finnish. From her blog header:

June Sun

June is a finalist at Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge. She studies Politics and International Studies. She was born in Xi’An, China, and moved to Finland when she was six years old, and she lived there until she moved to the UK for university.

Edit – she just writes for a liberal American digital rag! 😀

Bazz

Yes this country is fantastic, it has it’s faults but so does every where. That said it doesn’t mean we should rest on our laurels and let a small minority try and sell off some of those things that make our country so great for a quick profit, otherwise it will be a less great place to live for our children and grand children.

seadog101

I lived in NZ for 7 Years, and have worked all over the world. Came back to the UK 5 years ago. I always get the ‘Why did you come back?’ quiz. Go and live abroad and you’ll soon see that every country has it’s bad points. All in all we’re in a pretty good shape here.

You can get help if you need it.
    Most of us don’t need bars on our windows.
    The weather isn’t trying to kill you (mostly).
    There’s no animals that will poison you.
    And we’re close enough to other interesting places that it isn’t beyond most peoples ability to visit them.

Grimy
    Free Member

I love Britain, because despite being the cradle of the industrial revolution, you resolutely plough on with two taps per sink in the year 2012 – one to boil and one to freeze.

😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Between gagging orders, 50/100 year secrecy orders, libel cases and fearing litigation if you spend a few minutes insulting a cold caller (see cold caller thread) I’m amazed that is in your list. Try posting what you really think about a few sensitive issues here and see how long it take you to lose your freedom of speech.

A lot of what you say isn’t freedom of speech, its availability of information.

Find me a country that’s better, too.

piemonster

libel cases and fearing litigation if you spend a few minutes insulting a cold caller

I think your confusing free speech and being a vulgar abusive idiot.

loum
    Free Member

UK not such a bad place, shocka.

Unless you belong to the wrong political party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20474120

A couple had their three foster children taken away by a council on the grounds that their membership of the UK Independence Party meant that they supported “racist” policies.

chewkw
    Free Member

No such place as heaven on earth.

Earth is a dumping ground for maggots! Shite load of maggots where you cannot escape from.

NZ? LOL! I doubt the Maori will welcome you with open arms (check youtube Link).

However, no matter how bad your place of birth is it will always be home.

Drac

Earth is a dumping ground for maggots! Shite load of maggots where you cannot escape from.

Good job we have the MIB.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘UK not such a bad place, shocka.’ is closed to new replies.