Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • UK friendly bunch us lot
  • Premier Icon AD

I was about to write the same post as bunnyhop 😃 To be honest I’ve not noticed anyone looking down on me riding my 26″ Flux. I also ride in the Lakes where there you see some some seriously nice bikes.

Weird – maybe they’re talking about me behind my back 🤣

Premier Icon vicksplace

Try a what tyre thread? Failing that mention any of the following words in the title: fat bike single speed steel is real bimble gravel gnarcore trump covid sausages 😉

Also, welcome to the forum

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ

This guy has had more replies in one topic than I’ve had in ten years, bloomin’ scandal it is.

There are 2 scandal threads 😁

Premier Icon Cougar

Somewhat ironic that on a thread complaining about a lack of replies, the one person who hasn’t replied in the last 10 hours is the OP.

Whether you get a prompt reply on forums depends a bit of the volume of traffic – on a busy forum if you start a thread on a popular topic it will quickly start a conversation. If you ask something quite specific, niche or vague you have to wait until the one or two people who have something useful to say actually see it.

Off topic a little, but there is a skill in asking a question. Compare:

“I’ve got this [thing] and when I do [this] with it, it does [that] when it should be doing [something else]. I’ve tried turning it off and back on again, adjusting the Theakston differential, replacing the thrunge couplers, smearing it in strawberry jam and nothing seems to make a difference. I’m thinking of hammering frozen sausages into it, has anyone tried this or have any better ideas?”

with

“My [thing] doesn’t work, anyone else had this?”

The former is considerably easier to field than the latter. Every time someone posts going “something doesn’t work” with no other information I take a little bit of enamel off my teeth. You wouldn’t go to a mechanic going “my car doesn’t work,” that could be anything from a flat tyre to an empty fuel tank to it being on fire. And then that just encourages well-meaning but random advice, “I had that once, try replacing the spark plugs!”

Garbage in, garbage out.

Premier Icon Pook

This forum is the reason I pay subs. It’s brilliant.  Has its peaks and troughs but there are some thoroughly good people on here.

I miss insight from alllthegear and some others who’ve disappeared over the years but i do feel like a regular.  Not Norm or Cliff level. But maybe that guy with specs.  Or lilith.

Premier Icon igm

I bought myself a 650b FS recently because I had an epiphany and realised there was no way I could continue to ride my (otherwise perfectly serviceable) 26er FS. My wife would disown me, my children would refuse to ride with me.

Mainly of course because my 14 year old had grown into my 26er and claimed it as his of course.

There’s still not much wrong with a decent 26er.

Premier Icon RobHilton
    Free Member

Rosa Bikeparks

Superb! 🤗 🤗

Premier Icon jam-bo

2nd post flounce has to be a record?

Premier Icon jamj1974

Welcome to STW.

I wouldn’t worry about the sparse replies – I have been here fairly consistently for at least 9 or 10 years. I wouldn’t describe myself as a ‘big-hitter, or a prolific poster, but I think my ID is fairly well-known. However, despite this – I have started posts including recently that have had no or few replies – despite thinking it might be relevant and interesting. Sometimes you can catch the mood or interest of the forum and sometimes not. It really depends on the chance that someone who is interested in your post – even sees it.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Piss poor attempt 🙁 must troll harder next time

Premier Icon Cougar

Sometimes you can catch the mood or interest of the forum and sometimes not. It really depends on the chance that someone who is interested in your post – even sees it.

Sure, there’s an element of that also.

I like to think we’re a cut above places like Facebook but, look what’s popular on there. If you were to post the equivalent of our Brexit thread on there you’d get like one reply if you’re lucky. post a list of thirty girls names’ who are “likely to be angry” or “the best sister” and it’ll get liked, shared and commented on to the moon and back.

Premier Icon LAT

i was sat outside a pub in surrey with my biking palls are the next table was a chap from up north speaking in an exaggeratedly loud voice about how we were all idiots and had no idea what we were doing because our bikes were more expensive than his. i just assumed that he was from yorkshire.

generally, not just in mountain biking, i find the default position of the english is suspicious and unfriendly. in other countries that i’ve lived the default position open and friendly. i can’t really speak for the scotts or the welsh. though my parents are scotts and my wife welsh they may be more grumpy than the norm

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Surrey?! You monster!!!

Premier Icon alpin

Well i work out in the middle east, not my choice just the way things happen i guess.

?

This is BS.

Smuggled into the country against your will?

Passport confiscated?

Wife got you by the short and curlies?

Premier Icon allanoleary

photo of a guy trying to inflate a tubeless penguin.

Wait… you can get tubeless ones now?

Premier Icon PJM1974
    Free Member

I agree that there’s a fair bit of this:

I like to think we’re a cut above places like Facebook but, look what’s popular on there. If you were to post the equivalent of our Brexit thread on there you’d get like one reply if you’re lucky. post a list of thirty girls names’ who are “likely to be angry” or “the best sister” and it’ll get liked, shared and commented on to the moon and back.

But otherwise, welcome to the forum OP and if you have any mechanical or otherwise type questions then ask away. STW seems to be the type of place where people can talk about their £9K standard-correct niche bikes and also swap tips on how to service the cones on a Shimano Deore QR hub. There’s probably no question that’s too much for the forum, unless your name is FlapJackie.

Premier Icon oldagedpredator

Try a what tyre thread?

What tyre for snobbery?

Premier Icon vicksplace

What tyre for snobbery?

Something with tan sidewalls?

Premier Icon OwenP

What tyre for snobbery?

Continental Baron / Kaiser, I’d presume.

Unless you want some inverse snobbery, in which case….Minion?

Premier Icon vicksplace

Ooh, Mud kings and rubber queens 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar

photo of a guy trying to inflate a tubeless penguin.

Wait… you can get tubeless ones now?

You could get tubed penguins originally?

There’s probably no question that’s too much for the forum, unless your name is FlapJackie.

Eh, I think we coped OK.

Premier Icon Drac

And Alpin seems determined to prove the OP to be correct. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Premier Icon oldagedpredator

Try a what tyre thread?

What tyre for snobbery?

Something with tan sidewalls?

Continental Baron / Kaiser, I’d presume.

Unless you want some inverse snobbery, in which case….Minion?

Ooh, Mud kings and rubber queens 🙂

QED

Premier Icon Northwind

TBH I quite often ride bikes that people would look down on- my most ridden bike for a long time was an outdoors supermarket fatbike, and I never got on the 650b programme, and now my main bike’s 6 years old (and you have to ride it to realise that it’s still better than most things you can buy today, up til then it’s just some old trek).

But then I’m quite good at bikes. Not brilliant, but good enough that I never need to feel self conscious and that if anyone judges my bike, there’s a pretty good chance I can make them think again. Being on the “wrong” bike AND feeling insecure or looked down on for your riding, that could really suck. And you don’t have to actually be looked down on, to feel like it. Even things said nicely can be heard sadly.

it doesn’t matter if it’s only in your head, because that’s where you keep your You.

jkomo
    Free Member

Maybe cos it’s awesome and people are happy.
    On here can be grumpy but it’s the internet, and people aren’t riding so are sad.

One of my favourite STW posts ever, thanks!

Premier Icon stgeorge
    Free Member

In the 20 or so years I’ve been mountain biking I’ve ridden, and seen people riding, all sorts of different bikes. Haven’t noticed a single bit of snobbery

+1 ( but only 15 years)

Then again I don’t look at the bike, but the rider. Haven’t a clue about the pecking order of “gnarpoons”

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

“This old bike? Yeah it’s not that great. I, on the other hand, am awesome.”

Premier Icon Northwind

I actually heard someone say “Yeah, well, you know that feeling when your bike is better than you’ll ever be and you just feel a bit guilty about it? Well, I don’t”

Premier Icon garage-dweller

“I’ve got this [thing] and when I do [this] with it, it does [that] when it should be doing [something else]. I’ve tried turning it off and back on again, adjusting the Theakston differential, replacing the thrunge couplers, smearing it in strawberry jam and nothing seems to make a difference. I’m thinking of hammering frozen sausages into it, has anyone tried this or have any better ideas?”

This deserved more recognition. Although clearly it’s your use of Theakston in place of some kind of organic craft beer that’s the problem and failing to defrost the sausages next to the pizza oven.

Premier Icon Cougar

So you’re saying my contract is with the cellar?

Premier Icon garage-dweller

🤣 only if you are a classifieds only user

Premier Icon cookeaa

2nd STW thread and you’re already into the ‘inverse snobbery, I’ve not kept up with wheel sizes, everyone’s a miserable git’ trope…

You’ll do well here OP 😉

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Mmm I’m real intrigued by the tubed/tubeless penguin variations.

How do you tell the difference?

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Rockhopper Penguins tend to be tubeless.

Premier Icon hols2
    Free Member

Mmm I’m real intrigued by the tubed/tubeless penguin variations.

How do you tell the difference?

Tubeless ones have a nasty habit of blowing seals.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

That’s just frost on their moustaches.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

generally, not just in mountain biking, i find the default position of the english is suspicious and unfriendly.

Wha? I’ve experienced the exact opposite. I generally find most folks are really friendly and helpful. I’ve never come across any form of people looking down on my bike either. Where are some of you riding that you experience this weirdness?

The only negative thing I’ve heard was from a mechanic I used to visit in Poynton. Took my Trek Stache in for a service and he said “That’s just wrong” and then we both laughed and agreed. That’s the most hurtful thing anyone has ever said.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

And Alpin seems determined to prove the OP to be correct. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t think so – Alpin’s not from the UK, is he?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

generally, not just in mountain biking, i find the default position of the english is suspicious and unfriendly.

Trails were busy today. Chatted to one kid, showed him a load of trails, also ran into another adult and kid who wanted trail advice so I showed them some trails too. Everyone was nice and friendly. Chatted to a few walkers and another MTBer who was sat watching the view.

I think British people *can* be suspicious and unfriendly, but if you are friendly and open then they usually reciprocate. Maybe LAT is not open and friendly himself? But I have to say that MTBing in the SE does seem to attract more rich cocks, because there are more rich people in the SE, rich people are more likely to be cocks; and rich cocks generally monopolise the social interaction.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.