Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • UK frame builders + Pinion gearbox
  • ajantom

It’s my 50th in a few (3) years, and I am thinking of treating myself to a UK built hardtail with a Pinion. Gives me time to save up 😉

Anyway, I thought 18 Bikes did them, but having looked on their website they’ve stopped doing custom jobs.

Having looked on the Pinion site they don’t list any UK companies.

So I’m drawing a blank. I’d rather it was steel (could be stainless!) and UK built.
    Any suggestions?

tomhoward

Do Starling still do custom work?

Shand?

Dawley Bikes do custom work, but I’m not sure he’d go as far as a pinion. Worth an ask though.

Clandestine? Dunno if he’d do custom work.

Carbon wasp could do something in carbon.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Starling do the effigear bike. Saw a video where the boss man said he preferred that over pinion as it has the indirect drive thing which allows the pivot to be centred on the drive chainring.

slackboy

18 bikes were talking about doing a custom run of pinion bikes a month or so ago on instagram. I’d give them a call and see where that is up to.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUmkPgCsaxf/

tjagain

I have seen a Shand pinion but I don’t think they do them often.

Shand prefer the rohloff

ajantom

18 bikes were talking about doing a custom run of pinion bikes a month or so ago on instagram. I’d give them a call and see where that is up to.

Not enough interest apparently, so not happening 😟

ajantom

I’ll email Shand.

monkeyboyjc

Smokestone (ti) and Ted James (custom steel or ti) are two local (to me) brands that do….

You may want to order the gearbox now though as I was told it was at least 12 month wait for one at the start of 2021….

dovebiker

Sonder and Smokestone both made in the same factory in China

If you want a UK-built frame it would almost certainly be in steel

spooky_b329

Olsen Bikes in the Southeast, has built pinion hardtails

dyna-ti

Shouldn’t be too long before they combine pinion gearing technology with electrical motor technology

Ebike with gearbox, sounds the perfect combo 🙂

ta11pau1

Yeah for a steel frame you’ll probably need to get a custom frame made by one of the UK builders. With steel it’s going to be a heavy bugger though, unless it’s built as an xc build. My Nordest Ti pinion build with fox 36’s and carbon wheels is around 14.5g

The titanium frames can have custom geo done but they’re all built in the same factories in the far East.

ta11pau1

Shouldn’t be too long before they combine pinion gearing technology with electrical motor technology

Ebike with gearbox, sounds the perfect combo

There’s already a few pre production ones which have been at shows, gives it a year or 2 and they’ll be on the market. They won’t be for lightweight ebikes though.

qwerty
    Free Member

Now would be quite timely to speak with Ted James Designs as I know he’s currently accumulating all the parts to build his own Pinion hardtail. Not sure if he’s sorted his website after a glitch so try IG if no luck via email.

bri-72

Curtis. I have a pinion belt drive steel 29er in the Q. Frame build should start end Jan or thereabouts.

This might wet the appetite, tho maybe with the sound turned down.

BadlyWiredDog

It takes six months from the first conversations we have with you to getting your Signal Ti Pinion for your first ride. In this time we’ll talk exactly about what you need and where you’re going so that we can design and build your perfect tandem.

🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

GMBN did a piece on the starling gearbox bike. Might be worth a look. If you need someone to look at something there they are only round the corner from me, would love an excuse to pop in.

qwerty
    Free Member

If you want a UK-built frame it would almost certainly be in steel

Ted builds in titanium, his bike will be in Ti, built in Nympsfield, Gloucestershire, UK.

ctk
    Free Member

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/danson-gearbox-now-with-added-weirdness.374292/

Dan Chambers has done a few little jobs for me and is a top bloke.

ajantom

Ted builds in titanium, his bike will be in Ti, built in Nympsfield, Gloucestershire, UK

Pretty sure he does steel too. I saw a sus-forked BMX he’d done recently.

I’ll add him to the list anyway.

Curtis too. He taught me to braze (I was one of the Kickstarter supporters of the Bicycle Academy) though a Pinion frame is a bit beyond my skill-set!

ajantom

We’ll that’s a no from Starling. Apparently they don’t do custom frames only custom sizing on their frame models.

I’d suggest they change this blurb on their website then…cos it’s a bit misleading.

We offer all of our frames in several stock sizes but, our roots are in full custom builds.

We hand build one-of-a-kind, bespoke frames that exactly match the demands of our customers and their trails.

If you’ve never quite found that perfect bike or you’re a connoisseur with your dream bike in mind, this is where you stop looking.

tomhoward

They did used to do one offs, early in their existence, guess they haven’t the time now. Still needs changing mind.

seventy

There’s already a few pre production ones which have been at shows, gives it a year or 2 and they’ll be on the market. They won’t be for lightweight ebikes though.

The Intra-Drive Gearbox/Motor product will be available to custom framebuilders and limited bigger brands before Summer 2022.

https://www.intra-drive.com/

seventy

I have seen a Shand pinion but I don’t think they do them often.

Shand prefer the rohloff

https://www.facebook.com/ShandCycles/photos/pcb.4861059027238987/4861058907238999

rootes1

Efigear’s new 9 speed Mimic gearbox makes use of the Pinion mounting plate.

Was thinking about one, but big jumps between gears, though the Mimic does not have set percentage changes like the Pinion and is meant to ‘mimic’ and wide range 9 speed cassette.

https://www.effigear.com/en/135-243-The-Mimic.html#/70-type_de_shifter-modification_shifter_sram_serie_x

oh and Starling is listed as ‘dealer’ but speaking to Starling think is more a case of them being a customer of Effigear and not sure that they are too keen to retail just gearboxes on their own.

Still waiting to hear back Effigear in their planned delivery times

ajantom

Frustratingly, I’ve pretty much given up on this.
    Negatives from a couple of builders, no answer from a few more.
    Don’t think people are keen on building em 😟

matt_outandabout

These guys have photos of pinion frames.

https://www.svencycles.co.uk/

bri-72

Curtis not tempting you? I’m counting the weeks for mine now.

inbred853

Not a UK frame buider, but I’m sure I’ve seen Pinion frames on the Singlebe website. Pretty much builds steel frames, waiting for my frame to arrive @ Feb, non gearbox though.

northernmatt

What about a curveball of not-UK and most definitely not steel? They can custom design any of their frames.

ARGON GX PINION

EDIT: Oops, that’s a gravel thing

militantmandy
    Free Member

What was wrong with the Starling? https://www.starlingcycles.com/bikes/spur/

Or does it have to be Pinion?

monkeyboyjc

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Negatives from a couple of builders, no answer from a few more</span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>.</span>

The negative feedback I’d heard on the fatbike pinion put me off – stories of cranks consistently loosening, rather than problems with the box itself, but still enough of me to go down the AXS route and save some cash.

Although most negative comments I’ve heard have been over hassles with supply and dealing with pinion rather than design faults.

ajantom

What was wrong with the Starling?

I want a hardtail. Not interested in a full sus. I asked them, but they don’t do custom (even though their website reads otherwise).

Doesn’t need to be Pinion though…other gearboxes are available 😋

What about a curveball of not-UK and most definitely not steel? They can custom design any of their frames.

I dig Nicolai, and I’d seen that, but not what I’m after.

Curtis

No response after a couple of emails.

I like Curtis (though afaik it’s not Brian building frames anymore) in fact he taught me to braze.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

If you’re going to use Ted (and I would if I was going custom) I suggest going through his website if you can, his Instagram seems to have been taken over by a Crypto guru scammer.

ajantom

Tried Ted James…website is non-functioning http://tedjamesdesign.com/

Might try calling though.

bri-72

Phone best for Curtis, emails not usually quick responses.

intheborders
    Free Member

The Alpkit HT ticks almost all your boxes, what don’t you like?

inbred853
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.