• This topic has 91 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by mc.
Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • UK Enduros
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@mark88 llandegla one is part off piste part trail centre. definately one of the easier rounds from hearing a friend ride it the other year

stcolin
    Free Member

Racing in the UK is dying, slowly, because of the issues mentioned above. I have 2 upcoming races, Graythwaite and Ard Moors. Almost £200 for 2 races. It’s very expensive.

weeksy

Racing in the UK is dying, slowly, because of the issues mentioned above. I have 2 upcoming races, Graythwaite and Ard Moors. Almost £200 for 2 races. It’s very expensive.

Mmmmmmmm not from what i’m seeing. Southern Enduro fill completely, as do Pedalhounds. I’ve seen plenty of BPW Haibikes fill up and PMBA too. Yes it’s not cheap, but £45 for Southerns, £50 for BPW…. That’s acceptable IMO.

kimbers

At the National Champs dyfi in a few weeks, thinking of taking the whole family, may have to book a proper campsite though

does anyone know where the venue/ camping will be?

Garry_Lager

Expense is a personal call @stcolin, but that sounds like decent value to me – £100 for an absolutely packed weekend of 8 stages, class trails. It’s expensive relative to most other forms of bike racing but it’s an order of magnitude larger and more complex to organise.

If you’ve been doing enduro for years then yeah I can see the costs becoming harder to justify as you’ve done it / seen it all before, but that applies to all forms of racing.

Amateur road racing in the UK is your reference point for what a dying cycling discipline actually looks like. Enduro is a million miles away from those sort of existential problems, where it requires an Act of Parliament to close a road for half an hour.

stumpy120
    Free Member

There’s definitely something wrong with enduro in Scotland.

No SES this year. Fair City, Ballo & Dunkeld enduro’s all now stopped.

There also seems to be reduction in difficulty of the remaining races, the overall lap seems to have reduced in size/challenge as well as an unwillingness to have any significant pedalling within stages. Races are becoming events rather than races that challenge a riders skill and fitness.

stcolin
    Free Member

@Garry_Lager Yea, I’ve been racing since 2011, with a few gaps in there. Enduro racing has gone from £30/40 a race to almost £100 in some cases. I don’t buy the event thing, I’m not arsed about live music, loads of bike tents, and IPA’s, but that’s how it is. I understand the increase in costs as time passes.

mark88

Cost – meh, is what it is. If I feel like the event justifies it I don’t mind paying an expensive entry but I get annoyed when things like camping is charged as extra or a special helmet is needed.

There also seems to be reduction in difficulty of the remaining races, the overall lap seems to have reduced in size/challenge as well as an unwillingness to have any significant pedalling within stages.

Dunkeld, Manx and I believe Graythwaite are all keeping to the older style big, loop with testing riding. Others, I agree have dumbed down the riding to appeal to the masses which isn’t what I enjoy.

I really hope Dyfi steps up this year for national champs, because last year’s route was a bit pathetic.

Mmmmmmmm not from what i’m seeing. Southern Enduro fill completely, as do Pedalhounds. I’ve seen plenty of BPW Haibikes fill up and PMBA too.

BPW midweeks are a cool concept and would be the only time I’d consider racing a trail centre. PMBA haven’t sold out their big event this week.
    Southern and Pedalhounds are very different to “proper” enduros; I have done a couple of each and wouldn’t thank you for a free entry but they seem to be flourishing. Perhaps down to the fact they are both based near highly populated areas without masses of great riding nearby?

does anyone know where the venue/ camping will be?

It was Dyfi Adventure Campsite last year.

v7fmp

This year is the first time i have felt the cost of a regular Southern Enduro round just doesnt equal VFM. The Southern Champs seems ok, as you get a day of practice and a day racing. And the loop takes longer than 45mins to an hour to complete.

I am happy to pay for Ard Rock style events, where again, you are out for 4 or 5 hours, in places i wouldnt normally ride. Plus the whole festival vibe works for me.

I guess a lot are dumbed down to be appealing to more riders. It wouldnt be a great business model if you alienate half your potential crowd by making it gnar…. even if thats what plenty of us crave.

I am looking forward to the next few months tho, Dyfi, Ard Moors, Southern Enduro, Ard Rock and a week in Morzine 🙂

Gribs

There also seems to be reduction in difficulty of the remaining races, the overall lap seems to have reduced in size/challenge as well as an unwillingness to have any significant pedalling within stages. Races are becoming events rather than races that challenge a riders skill and fitness.

As someone who isn’t bothered about racing as such but wants decent riding in places I can’t usually access I’m loath to enter events were I can’t judge the physical or technical difficulty. Boltby was good fun and was about the level I expected where as Ard Rock wasn’t as technically difficult as I expected but physically very hard work. Going “racing” at Glentress holds similar appeal to a road sportive as I’d rather do both without the additional people there.

Northwind

stumpy120

There’s definitely something wrong with enduro in Scotland.

No SES this year. Fair City, Ballo & Dunkeld enduro’s all now stopped.

Mostly what you’re seeing there is us losing organisers rather than events- Aaron Muckmedden is doing the pump track stuff instead of races, No Fuss broke up a mix of reasons, Ballo I don’t know about though, Dunkeld was a small team.

Race organisers are a scarcer resource than diamonds, you’ve got to be a) really good at a bunch of different things, and b) crazy. There’s nobody organising succesful events that wouldn’t do better to pack up and use the same skills on something that pays better without the personal risk and stress and stupid long hours and politics and dependence on external providers and internet experts and bad weather and fashion trends.

(I try to keep this in mind when dealing with race organisers and thinking, occasionally, you are an arsehole/crazy/making bad decisions, it’s almost a prerequisite of the job)

mc
    Free Member

The main man behind Ballo left the Cupar Angus Cycling Hub, and nobody took over organising the Enduro. I think he’s involved with the SDA now, and the Cupar Angus Cycling Hub is now a different organisation.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.