Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Uist, mountain bike or road bike?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Off for a litte break on Uist in a few weeks is there any off road cycling to be had? or am I better taking the road bike?

epicyclo

All those beautiful beaches on the west side if you have a bike that can handle them.

Stu_N

Probably road, the east side of the islands are very rugged and almost trackless (huge maze of lochs, bog and mountains especially north uist, more mountainous further south). West side is sandy and windswept and maybe perfect for a fat bike but not much else…

Pyro

Either! Roads are pretty clear and generally in decent nick, but the west coast beaches and the tracks through the machair are great as well. If you time it right with the tide going out, there’s no need for a fat bike at all – last time I raced up there in a Hebridean Challenge, it was on 1.9 Mach SKs….

oldbloke
    Free Member

Try a search on the Heritage Paths site. There’s certainly something billed as the “Machair Path” which at least has signs telling you where to start. If the weather keeps like it has for the last few months, the wind will be the challenge.

epicyclo

oldbloke – Member
    …If the weather keeps like it has for the last few months, the wind will be the challenge.

Problem solved…

I remember when I was wee in Uist, we used to walk in the ditches on windy days because the wind would blow us straight off the road. 🙂

I’m heading over there this year and it’s the Machair Path that I hope to ride (taking a fatbike with smooth tyres)

oldbloke
    Free Member

That looks fun for the beaches!

A couple of weeks ago it seemed to be a headwind wherever I went.

druidh
    Free Member

2008-05-25 11-14-43 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

That’s me on the Machair Path. 32mm touring tyres.

nick3216
    Free Member

landed on south just in rain. got snowed on in the afternoon. in september. then had a gloriously sunny evening. it’s a mental place.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers. Decided to take the mountain bike next week to explore round the machair hopefully 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My gradnparents-in-law have had a cottage on Uist for the last 30 years or so and I might finally be going there this may/june time. I was also wondering where to ride, so that’s sounds promising.

oldbloke
    Free Member

According to one of my Uist based colleagues last week, given the winter they’ve had, if you venture off the Machair at present, you’ll sink.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’m jealous – it’s a stunning place.

I’d take the MTB, definitely.

Like others have said there are some fun trails through the Machair, and you don’t need a fatbike to ride the beaches on the West coast – the sand is pretty firm around the tide line – we managed most of the west coast like that on heavily laden MTBs with touring tyres.

If you’re coming in from Lochboisdale, head straight on at the crossroads at Dalabrog and to the end of the road – you can pick up the machair trail (through the “golf course” :-)) or get onto the beach from there.

There are a few bits of rocky coastal singletrack around Loch Sgioport on South Uist – old paths to deserted crofts etc. You need to negotiate a fair few “off piste” boggy sections to link them up though – all good fun.

Stunning scenery everywhere but I particularly liked the NW coast of North Uist – some more offroad options up there (including the only forest on the islands!), but again a bit difficult to link up – don’t let that put you off though – it’s all worth exploring.

We didn’t ride it but there is also a trail bisecting Benbecula which also looks like it may be rideable in places at least.

You can (apparently) even ride across to Vallay on a low tide if you’re feeling brave

Don’t miss the Balranald nature reserve – lovely beach – heaven on a nice day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Uist, mountain bike or road bike?’ is closed to new replies.