Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • UFC Fans….anyone see UFC 168 last night? [Spoilers & graphic content]
  • Shandy
    Free Member

Saw this earlier, looked at a video of their last fight. How are people not sickened by an unconscious man being punched in the face?
    I love boxing but that’s a shit sport.

MMA has more flash knockdowns that fighters can recover from, occasionally that will result in somebody getting hit when they’re out cold. If you love boxing you’ll be familiar with the proportion of old fighters with impaired brain function. You might have seen James Toney fighting in Prizefighter at 45 because he is desperate for money, or Carl Froch looking like a career of punishment had finally caught up with him against George Groves.

You’re watching people try and hurt each other for entertainment. Boxing only spares you from having to see the consequences first hand.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is it the shaved head, the tattoos or both?

Yes and Yes 😀

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I used to really like it because of all the characters but now they are turning into GSP clones I’ve not watched many events

He retired a few weeks ago thank ****, properly sound dude though. A great ambassador for the sport.
    Rhonda rousey on the other hand.. 🙁

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

It’s all about the welter weights next year, there’s going to be some great fights i rekon. Hopefully diaz will be back too 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Carl Froch looking like a career of punishment had finally caught up with him against George Groves.

Luckily the ref helped him out…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I kind of like that panto-villan type skullduggery.

Oh fo sure, it’s all part of the show! I like to watch them, I just don’t like them. One of the reasons if appeals to me at least is I like to see the baddies get beat.

…but then I am a fan of the Diaz brothers.

And me

Shandy
    Free Member

Carl Froch looking like a career of punishment had finally caught up with him against George Groves.

Luckily the ref helped him out…

It was a terrible decision but it was also an example of how a boxer with a reputation for having a decent chin can be allowed to soak up massive amounts of punishment, fight after fight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO he had turned side on and dropped his hands he was about to get a serious blow to the side of head and another and another ….when should the ref stop in once he is knocked out [ it was a standing count IMHO though they are not allowed for soem reason]

yes great chin but his brain is no more insulated than anyone elses

It would be stopped once his face – he uses it as a block from what i have seen- was a massive pulp of bleeding mess thereby looking worse but saving him long term [ risks of] brain injury

One looks worse and the other is worse.
    neither is nice as it is two folk trying to beat the shit out of each other.

This thread is like arguing whether duels with swords are better than duels with guns.

wrecker
    Free Member

GUNS FTW.

edlong
    Free Member

deviant’s post on page 1 gives a good appraisal of the state of play with “traditional” boxing, but just to add about the pre-gloved era – you’re right that there were few(er) head injuries, but slightly wrong on the reason – not that the hands were breaking on the heads, more that they weren’t hitting the head – ungloved, they would favour body blows over head shots much more, for obvious reasons. It was the introduction of gloves that made boxing much more focussed on hitting people in the head.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

SWORDS. More elegant.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

SWORDS here too.. Can nick diaz use nunchucks though?

patriotpro
    Free Member

still think he could beat weidman, yeah he gets roughed up early but we’ve seen how resilient and crafty he can be in the fist sonnen fight. Doubt he’ll be back though, he was hoping to represent brazil in the olympics in taekwondo.

What are u basing that on? Silva fought Weidman twice, was knocked out twice. I’d have more chance of knacking Weidman.

jaymoid

ok so I finally got around to watching UFC 168.

It was a pretty good event. Some very good scraps. I wanted Ronda to loose though, ah well, she is proper skill with the judo though.

I was left feeling sorry for both Silva and Weidman. Silva because he **** his leg and didn’t get to prove that he could beat Weidman, he looked like a different guy going in, the loss clearly got to him last time.
    And Weidman because he won again, but under circumstances which didn’t exactly prove he was the better fighter, I don’t think he is like, but if he is, he has lost the chance to prove it.

Anyway I stumbled across this old video of Bas explaining why shin snaps happen:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFsGDlldNTc[/video]

Makes sense but looking at the replay, it doesn’t look like he had angled his leg wrong, his hips and legs are turned in to throw the shin perpendicular. So I guess he was unlucky, and got checked perfectly.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Seen the replay a few times now and Weidman’s technique is immaculate. The raised leg block which resulted in Silva’s leg being snapped was no exception.

That kick of Silva’s is one of his trademark attacks and he does it repeatedly in all his fights. I think he simply did it one too many times to the point the bone was weakened so much that it just snapped.

Silva should have quit after the first time he got knocked out (like he said he would do).

Understandable he chose to re-fight tho, the fight-purse will have been princely, no doubt.

jaymoid

Yeah there was a lot of power in that kick.

Yup, Silva got $600k for it, presumably he has some decent insurance too so he will be comfortable whatever he does now.

BoardinBob

One of my coaches did the exact same thing as Silva a couple of years ago. 20 seconds into the 1st round, went for a massive low kick and the guy blocked it. Everyone in the crowd heard the snap 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘UFC Fans….anyone see UFC 168 last night? [Spoilers & graphic content]’ is closed to new replies.