Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • UFC 197.
  • blueflamespecial
    Free Member

^^ Like I’ve said previously, Bisping is an overachiever.

Personally I don’t think he beats any of the top 5 guys (inc Rockhold again) but you have to respect his work ethic, self belief and willingness to step up and fight anyone on short notice.

That is ultimately what has finally won him the belt lucky punch or not.

Bisping is a pretty divisive guy guilty of some pretty poor/annoying behaviour at times, but he’s a solid fighter and given us the best moment for UK MMA since Ian Freeman/Frank Mir IMO. Definitely got to admire the guy for what he’s done.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bisping is an overachiever.

Bloody good on him! Shoes what a bit of grit and determination can do, it can put the world champion flat on his back out cold.
    Luck has nothing to do with it!

Bad behaviour? Have you seen Connor MacGregors following? He’s a much as asshole any of them!

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Yeah, absolutely good on him! I’m as happy as any that he’s beaten AS and now Rockhold for the belt. Superb achievement. I was referencing Junkyards post and the lucky punch.

I’m generally a big Bisping fan but he has acted out a couple of times i.e spitting at Jorge Rivera’s corner post fight. he does rub many the wrong way but has got more and more respect the last few years I think.

Mcgregor is a bit different in that every outburst, stunt etc is 100% employed to rile the other guy. He’s always pretty on the level and respectful after the show is over. It’s never personal on his part.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Lesnar v Hunt at UFC 200.

It’s. Going. To. Be. Awesome.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Luck has nothing to do with it!

Both yes and no he is not rubbish but he is also not the best- like competent fighter who took his chance, got “lucky” and won comfortably. I don’t think he will repeat it though against the top people. One of the things about MMA though is that its much less predictable than boxing and eventually everyone loses to someone.

YMMV

BillOddie

It’s. Going. To. Be. Awesome.Over. Very. Quickly.

I love Bisping, he plays the heel card perfectly. He completely got under Rockhold’s skin. Jon Jones does the same thing see the last DC fight.

One thing to note is Bisping’s losses… how many of them were to people we now know to have doped or used TRT? Wanderlei, Chael and Vitor all doped.

BillOddie

Also, Macgregor – Diaz 2 at UFC202.

Really? I’m a bit meh about that fight but hopefully Diaz will put the cocky little shit to sleep.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Both yes and no he is not rubbish but he is also not the best- like competent fighter who took his chance, got “lucky” and won comfortably. I don’t think he will repeat it though against the top people. One of the things about MMA though is that its much less predictable than boxing and eventually everyone loses to someone.

You do know he’s coming off a win against Anderson Silva, JY? Whether that, and the Rockhold win, will translate into being able to defend successfully against a fit Chris Weidman Jacare, or even a less cocky Rockhold, is yet to be seen. But there does some a fair bit of damning with faint praise here. There was no luck with how he won at the weekend, saw his chance, made the first hit, then trips Rockhold making him lose his balance, so he could follow up with further strikes while the other fighter was trying to get back to their feet.

Also, Bisping has been known for not having knockout power, but that seems like something he has worked on. With that in mind, I give him more of a chance at a successful defence than I did before the other night.

Obviously, I would prefer if Bisping stays the underdog, as it’ll allow me to maybe win another couple of hundred quid off him 😉

One of the things about MMA though is that its much less predictable than boxing and eventually everyone loses to someone.

To an extent maybe, but fighters like DJ, Cruz and Jon Jones show fighters can become dominant.

Also, Macgregor – Diaz 2 at UFC202.

Yup. Bored of it now. UFC 199 was all sorts of amazing, the Ariel Helwani stuff aside. UFC 200 is shaping up to be very entertaining as well. Conor overplayed his hand, and got shut down. Bisping is the new heel in town.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bisping’s boxing has been constantly improving, Jason Parilo knows the score. He’s also training Cycborg and her progression is phenomenal. Rockhold over extended on the jab and he’s done it in the past allowing opponents to capitolise. Bisping was on to it, and whether through analysis or instinct he was able to exploit the opening. It wasn’t luck.

JunkyardOne of the things about MMA though is that its much less predictable than boxing and eventually everyone loses to someone.

That’s as much to do with the match making as the sport. The UFC rarely coddles any of it’s fighters. On the contrary, their match making is generally ruthless. There’s very little room for fighters to pick and choose their matchups and take an easy road to retirement.

eventually everyone loses to someone

BillOddie

Khabib Nurmagomedov fights at Lightweight not Featherweight.

That being said I wonder how easy Macgregor cab make Featherweight without IVs?

jimjam
    Free Member

BillOddie

Khabib Nurmagomedov fights at Lightweight not Featherweight.

I am aware of this. The only point I sought to make was that he is undefeated.

BillOddie

I am aware of this. The only point I sought to make was that he is undefeated.

Fair enough and does have great taste in hats!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I do hope that’s a Reebok hat.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his time to lose will come

I am not criticisinG MMA for this – and I assume someday someone will be undefeated but the point was that in MMA the results are less predictable and more mixed than in Boxing- a good thing IMHO.
    We can all get clocked by a “lucky” strike even if dominant

Not a hater and not a dig to be clear I think its a positive.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

his time to lose will come

Who? Khabib Airlines?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Damn. Kimbo Slice died. As yet causes unknown.

Bellator heavyweight, ratings king Kimbo Slice dead at 42

jimjam
    Free Member

Heart attack most likely. He’s punching angels now. Rip

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

He’s punching angels now.

…and gassing out in the third. 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘UFC 197.’ is closed to new replies.