Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • UEFI settings should my SSD be visible?
  • garage-dweller

Hi quick IT question.

Posted a while back about my laptop that appeared to have done a firmware update and then bricked.

Sitting down to try and rebuild it today and after it failing to reinstall/reset Windows found my way into the UEFI settings for a look over. I have not changed anything.

Under the Storage section it says “No storage devices found”. I’m guessing this may mean that the SSD (only storage) is broken and this is why it won’t rebuild.

I’ve not tried Windows on a USB install yet but I’m thinking it might just be best to send it back to Asus and ask them to sort under warranty.

Any thoughts from the IT gods welcomed.

sirromj

I tried entering the BIOS of my desktop to check as I have an M.2 SSD and had a vague notion that because of the h/w interface (M.2 was new at the time) it didn’t show up under storage devices. Unfortunately I couldn’t remember the security password to enter the BIOS as I never go in there. Like I say though, it’s only a vague notion and the h/w was still fairly new at the time.

Would help if you mentioned the brand/model of your laptop/bios.

garage-dweller

@sirromj thanks.

It’s as an Asus E406M netbook
    Manufactured March 2019
    BIOS version 317
    GOP Version 13.01.1018
    EC version F0GL0405.099

Boot priority is Windows Boot Manager

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sirromj

Oh no I can’t tell you how to fix it! Sorry! Gave the wrong impression there! Just meant you might get more replies if you give some h/w details. I can however make a poor attempt at humour…

Posted a while back about my laptop

Oh yes I found it: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/abandoned-boot-weirdness/

sharkbait
    Free Member

How about downloading Ubuntu 19.1 (very good) onto a USB stick and booting from that and see if it can see the SSD?
    (You may need to select the ‘install’ option to let it see what drives are available, but you can always stop it actually installing)

sirromj

Got into my BIOS, did recall correctly, under PCH storage it doesn’t see my M.2 SSD. Possibly the same (or very similar) setup to your laptop?
    Here’s some photos I’ve my setup, I’m running Linux however so gonna be different.
    eufi1
    eufi2
    eufi3
    eufi4
    But it got me looking at the install instructions I ran through which got me thinking if you could get into a UEFI shell you might be able to tell it where your boot partition is or something – which is how I had to do it on mine. I could of course be barking up the wrong tree. I’m not an IT god… Will reboot now and see if shell is something within the setup utility.

garage-dweller

Oh no I can’t tell you how to fix it! Sorry! Gave the wrong impression there!

Don’t worry I wasn’t expecting how to fix it from what you had posted but did think giving a bit more info was a good idea. My thanks were for taking the time to look at your setup.

I’m equally not expecting someone to dig around looking for answers. So many knowledgeable people on here in lots of different walks of life so always think it’s worth a punt asking here just in case before hours of internet searching and I try and do the same where I can.

I’m only really trying to work out if it’s worth the trouble of making a usb install stick on the other computer or just punt it back to Asus (rapidly becoming preferred option!).

Thanks also @sharkbait I’ll probably try warranty before Ubuntu. But if they won’t fix it then that may be a plan.

Thanks again folks.

sirromj

Have you tried playing around with any of the settings like in my 2nd, 3rd, 4th screenshots above show? How are they presently set? Is CSM enabled? what is listed as boot options? etc. I myself personally wouldn’t worry about making anything worse by changing any of these settings at this stage, but maybe just record what they currently are beforehand if you do decide to play around. The UEFI shell might be the right direction for you to look into, you need to find somewhere you can download and install one to a USB stick boot from it but prepare to pepper your brain with command syntax.

garage-dweller

Hi

Thanks to those who posted and especially @sirromj.

After some more checking, googling and testing a couple of other bits the machine has gone back to Asus. Verdict from the Tech Team at John Lewis was a hard drive issue and they have agreed to send off for repair/further diagnostics.

Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for the suggestions. 🙂

Next job – sort out the malfunctioning money pit car!

chewkw
    Free Member

Thinking of getting M.2 SSD for my yet to be built new PC but am a bit unsure how to install OS on M.2 SSD … hmmm …

FuzzyWuzzy

What motherboard do you have? Should be pretty easy if it’s a newish UEFI motherboard, just google for instructions for your specific motherboard. I vaguely remember a couple of issues getting mine working on a new build PC (with  a M.2 NVME OS disk) but a bit of googling soon sorted it out for me (but different motherboards have different names for the settings involved and different defaults hence better to google for your specific motherboard). After that it’s just a case of booting and installing via a Windows 10 install USB stick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘UEFI settings should my SSD be visible?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts