Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • UCI Road World Champs, Yorkshire 2019 – camping accomodation?
  • IHN

I’ve started looking, probably late, at how/where we might go up to Yorkshire for the roadie world champs next year.

For the Grand Depart in 2014 (which was brill), there were a number of temporary camping sites set up by enterprising football/rugby/cricket clubs. Can we expect something similar? And, if so, is anyone aware of any?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m tempted to offer staying/camping at the farm, but have no idea where the course is set…

IHN
    IHN

If your farm’s near the route and a decent pub, I’m interested BTW 🙂

nbt

At the risk of camping near Nettles, likewise (we’ve got a caravan and would need power)

IHN

At the risk of camping near Nettles

Sounds painful. Probably is 😉

scaredypants

… and you’ll likely come out in a rash ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh, it is !

Drill down to Harrogate, route marker 15, near Harlow Carr Gardens and back a bit to Lady Lane..

Thats if you want to stay near Harrogate that is..

martinhutch

Dales Bike Centre may open up a camping field, or one of the campsites in Swaledale would be a decent bet. Would leave you well placed for Buttertubs, or ‘Cote de Grinton’. The only other significant climb on offer is Kidstones, and I wouldn’t rely on farmers laying on camping fields for the WC.

Seems to be exactly the same as the TdF route for the men’s road race.

IHN

What’s the Squinting Cat like then?

joemmo
    Free Member

there are 2 sites near the ‘Col de Lofthouses’ – How Stean and Studfold. We stayed at Studfold for the TDF and it was basic but fine if a bit midgy. How Stean is more pricy but has a cafe attached.
    http://www.studfold.com/
    https://www.howstean.co.uk/accommodation/

edit: these are on the course for the Women’s ELite race and cracking ride over the top into Masham for the mens course

fatoldgit

**** me BikeBouy…..
    If I had a farm anywhere close to the Cat and back of the course I’d be planning now for a full house all week seeing as every single race for the whole week finishes in Harrogate and most of them take in the big loop down Otley road to Beckwithshaw( which is where you describe )
    I’ve already booked 2 weeks off work and can’t wait for the town to be rammed with cyclists etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤷‍♂️👍😏

Hadn’t given it much thought TBH.

Last time the TdF came to Harrogate (when Cav splattered himself over Betty’s Tea Shop window) we opened one of our fields for car parking & camping, but it didn’t do that well TBH.. S’pose we were a bit late in advertising, but I did IIRC put it on here..

I’ll “confront” the in-laws about the possibility again..

What’s the Squinting Cat like then?

Well, it used to be flipping awesome, proper old school pub with little benches and secret hideaways, now it’s been opened out and refurbed into a generic Pub Thing. Foods ok, they do Real Beer (not just Theakstons or Black Sheep) but stuff from almost locally.. it’s a bit cough* sparse at times, but it’s welcoming enough for us two to head there for a beer and supper.. and the landlords really and ok type of bloke. So, not bad.. just lacks character.

IHN

Well chap, if you’re opening up a field, and if there’ll be some bogs and, ideally, a shower, put me on the list.

crazy-legs

Thread bump – through various connections with Yorkshire 2019, I’ve just had the following email:

Harrogate RUFC is set in 28 acres of stunning woodland, 2.5 miles from Harrogate Town Centre. Ample parking.

We are now open for camping bookings for the whole duration of the UCI World Championships in September 2019.

Please visit harrogaterugby.com for full details and call 01423 815420 to book.

They say good facilities, showeres etc and limited electrical hookups.
    Edit: direct link to their website
    http://www.harrogaterugby.com/a/2019-uci-road-world-championships-camping-53700.html

johnny63

Bikebouy – any more thoughts on whether or not you’re going to open up for camping ?

Few of us cycling over from NI and currently looking at options ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, my BiL did mention it a few weeks ago..

I’ll ask him formally….

johnny63

Spot on – keep us posted please

tiim
    Free Member

Also watching with interest.
    Good memories of heading up for the grand depart and doing a big camp at the start castle thingy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hi All,

I have a decision on what we are going to do.

I have asked Mark & Chipps a few questions before I post anything, and I’ll wait for their decision.

Update soon.

johnny63

Excellent – thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Looks like I can’t post anything direct into the forum regarding our plans, understandable as we would be charging for it and therefore in essence an advert.

If you’d like to PM me then I’m sure I’d be allowed to converse off line about our plans.

Sorry, but understandable given the circumstances.

johnny63

Trying to PM you but says your privacy setting won’t allow it ?

Can you message me and we’ll go from there ?

Thanks,

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll turn that all back on (turned it off ages ago)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just bumping this thread to let you know that there are a few sites/apps out now to help/inform all those interested in the event.

northyorks.gov.uk/uci

@northyorkscc

yorkshire2019.co.uk

harrogate.gov.uk

and the app:

yorkshire2019

Routes/fanpark/parking/events/schedules etc.etc. Can all be found on the above.

Don’t forget the main issues will be parking and moving around the town during the event, so the above should help/assist in giving you live/real-time road closures and such like.

Only a few weeks away now… enjoy it if you are heading out to watch em’

unklehomered
    Free Member

For those looking for Harrogate Accomm and UCI what’s on.

https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/uciWorlds

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I simply can’t wait. It’s going to be great trying to get about 17 minibuses full of disabled kids & adults to & from schools & day centres.
    I’ll be driving one of the shuttle buses from the showground to the event centre on West Park on the 29th.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘UCI Road World Champs, Yorkshire 2019 – camping accomodation?’ is closed to new replies.