Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • UCI Cyclocross world championships
  • ferrals
    Free Member

On this weekend. Mens and womens elite live on redbull TV, hopefully the juniors and u23 won’t be geoblocked on the UCI channel… but I am expecting they will be!

Great britain team here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/20200123-gb-cyclingteam-news-Great-Britain-Cycling-Team-announced-for-2020-UCI-Cyclo-Cross-World-Championships-0

I see on the start list that Celine del Carmen Alvaro (sp?) is racing elites not U23 so I guess Anna Kay has a real chance at the U23 jersey given her performances this season.

Possibility of a U23 men medal with Tullet and Mason beinf 4th and th in the world cup last weekend.

Tom Pidcock on the podium in the mens elite? Evie Richards is also a podium contender, but maybe less likely than GB hopes is some of the other categories?

Not sure about the juniors, was a bit surprised to see Backstedt who did so well in the helen100 races not being selected for the women juniors

Course looks a bit naff on the face of it, but it is forecast to rain I think.

Should be an exciting weekend of racing anyway!

kilo

Can’t see Pidcock on the podium tbh. Men’s looks a bit of a forgone conclusion WvA for a sneaky podium place? Women’s should be a good race. Cant has got to be a good each way bet.
    Mrs kilo and I going over to watch so no rain please!

IdleJon

Can’t see Pidcock on the podium tbh. Men’s looks a bit of a forgone conclusion WvA for a sneaky podium place?

Who are the dead certs? MvdP obviously, Eli Eiserbyt in second, probably. But third has been more of a lottery in the races I’ve watched this season, and WvA has been way off the pace other than at Zondeweg on Saturday. Maybe he’s peaking at the right time? (I haven’t watched Hoogerheide from Sunday yet because the feed I found was so poor.)

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d love to see WvA up there. I thought he looked technically superior to MVDP at various parts of the race last saturday. I reckon 2nd and trid probably pretty wide open.

@kilo
    Have a good time over there, woudl love to go and watch a world cup / world champs at some point

eddie11
    Free Member

Thought red bull would show all races that’s annoying. Looks very flat.

Lots of British interest in men’s u23s too. Thomas mein in with a shout.

Men’s elite Piddock has no chance in 3 from MVDP, wva, iiserbyt and toon.

Dutch 1-3 in women’s elite with maybe Richards as a curve ball. In u23 Anna looks to be struggling to hold form at the end of the season. A podium would be good now whereas a month ago top step was a possibility.

scaredypants

My tenner:
    MVdP
    WvA
    Aerts
    (perm any two from about 8 for the next couple – Iserbyt, Pidcock, Hermans, Swiek, Van T, …)

ferrals
    Free Member

In u23 Anna looks to be struggling to hold form at the end of the season

I was hoping she’d just been putting in a big training block with the aim of peaking for worlds but probably you are right

mashr

and WvA has been way off the pace other than at Zondeweg on Saturday. Maybe he’s peaking at the right time?

Still coming back from injury remember. Would be nice to see him podium though

IdleJon

Still coming back from injury remember. Would be nice to see him podium though

I didn’t realise he’d been out for so long!

RoterStern
    Free Member

WvA is a master at peaking for the Worlds but I can only see MVdP as the winner by some margin. Pidcock does better on courses with more elevation where his slight build gives an advantage on the climbs but AFAIK the Worlds course is faily flat which suits the bigger more powerful riders. I think Aerts and Iserbyt the other two on the podium.

kilo

Who are the dead certs?

Idlejohn, I meant the winner of the men’s.

IdleJon

here his slight build gives an advantage on the climbs but AFAIK the Worlds course is faily flat which suits the bigger more powerful riders. I think Aerts and Iserbyt the other two on the podium.

Iserbyt is tiny as well, isn’t he? (just looked it up – 1.65m compared to MvdP’s 1.83.) Pidcock is 5ft 2″ (1.57m apparently!)

Idlejohn, I meant the winner of the men’s.

Yeah, you’d guess so.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ll be cheering on the NE’s finest Anna and Thomo. Big crowd heading over but not me 🙁 Both in with a shot of medals. Anna has the form just not the luck recently. I think she suffered under the pressure of being the favourite at the nationals.

Hard to see beyond MvdP in the men’s. Women’s a bit more open and should be a cracking race.

john_l
    Free Member

You’d think that the mens at least would be a foregone conclusion, but anything can happen – just look at Alverado last week.

Women’s Elite will be awesome – love watching Evie Richards tearing it up!

Jase
    Free Member

Not sure about the juniors, was a bit surprised to see Backstedt who did so well in the helen100 races not being selected for the women juniors

@Ferrals
    Backstedt is a youth not Junior

RoterStern
    Free Member

Women’s Elite will be awesome – love watching Evie Richards tearing it up!´
    Was there a reason Evie Richards wasn’t at the British Championships?

Iserbyt is tiny as well, isn’t he?
    True but he is also a couple of years older than Pidcock which at that age makes a big difference.

ferrals
    Free Member

@Jase – didnt realise that!

@Rotor_Stern – according to a podcast I listened too, the reason was to focus on training because she wants to qualify to go to the olympics MTB, and also to beter train pre-worlds.

white101

Would love to see Anna Kay win U23, her last 3 seasons have been a great progression, last couple of weeks have been tough but she will want to end the season well.
    Also she’s a Gateshead lass therefore I always see her name above mine on strava segments round here.

eddie11
    Free Member

There’s an Anna Kay watch party at pedalling squares cafe in Gateshead on Sunday if anyone wants to soak up the atmosphere and can’t stretch to Switzerland. Oh yeah and the men’s will be on too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My five english pounds 6 shillings and 4 pence will be on :

MvdP

Iserbyt

Aerts

Can’t see Wout being in the top 10 due to injury, but he does always perform very well in the Worlds. Pidcock for top 20.

kilo

BBC coverage:
    Coverage: BBC Red Button, Sport website, app and connected TV Saturday 1 Feb: Men’s U-23 race 11:50-13:15 Elite Women’s race: 13:50-15:05, replay 17:25-18:40 (not Red Button) Sunday 2 Feb: Elite Men’s race: 13:20-15:00 (not Red Button)

dovebiker

Haven’t seen a course preview yet, but Dubendorf is pan-flat so expect it’s going to be a high-speed dirt-grit with sharp corners, a few banks and longish straights which will suit power riders like MVdP, Toon Aerts and WvA and not the likes of Iserbyt and Pidcock in the men’s and Kay in the women’s.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

entry info https://www.uci.org/cyclo-cross/events/uci-cyclo-cross-world-championships
    Don’t forget there are less riders at the worlds as there is a limit of riders per Nation.

Been on a airport it going to be flat with a few bank that normally used and wind and noise breaks at airports.
    Not really seeing it be a total mud bath, as I reckon it be a bit of top soil over hard pack ground been man made area, maybe more risk of flats maybe?

Should be a good weekend of racing, with few GB riders in with a chance.
    can’t see past MvDP for the win, Pidock top 5, 3rd if luck goes his way.
    Same with Evie, top 5, even top 3, I also think Compton might get a medal.
    Also hope Beth Crumpton has a good race, and it was great to watch/help her at the Nat champs, she been chipping away all season and based herself out there

I Think HAttie H and Anna K are in with a real good chance of a medal, be great to see both get one, but like above it been a long season for Anna, so hope she had a very good tapper! Plus been a flat course not to her strength. I did hear she got a good contract for next year, (good wage, start money, win bonuses) which be maga if true.
    Hattie should do well, she is a power house and watching her in the mud at Nat champs was impressive, I hope it is a bit muddy!

Just found this about the course, https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=211580343206256

RoterStern
    Free Member

There is also a Computer generated course preview on cycling news. Lots of people bemoaning how boring it looks. Lots of long straights by the looks of it. I’d say MVdP to win by a lap and a half! 😀

icarus
    Free Member

It’s true MvdP looks hot favourite but he also looked like a cert. for the road champs in Yorkshire,and look what happened there!I just hope for an exciting race,would love Wout to win after all he’s been through.Evie Ritchards could well win the women’s race,she has a great ability of rising to the big occasion as her win in the under 23 race last year shows,according to my TV listing the races are on the BBC red button as well,really looking forward to this.

daiboy
    Free Member

Treating the family to a trip. Not sure how they’ll vibe a wet, windswept airfield.

Will be interesting to see how the course holds up given the forecast. Everyone has been talking about fast and frozen.

Agree with all of the above. Course appears to suit Brand. Maybe A M Sausage in a sprint. Loved watching Alvarado step up this season but not sure if the track suits her. Evie put in a few digs at Hoogerheide, good at peaking off the back of little racing, she could be a good bet.

Barring illness (or getting his shoe stuck in a wheel) MvdP obvs. Wouldn’t read too much into last Sat. He was looking SHARP come Sun. Anybody’s guess thereafter. Toon starting to look good. Maybe Sweeck given his power. Would love to see Pidcock beat Eli the poisoned dwarf 🙂

senorj

Nice one Kilo for the beeb info.
    Junior J & I will be cheering on Cameron & Tom . 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pidcock is 5ft 2″ (1.57m apparently!)

Unless he was stood on a box when I met him, he’s certainly a lot taller than that, and at 5’2″ 700c wheels would look huge next to him.

ferrals
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how the course holds up given the forecast. Everyone has been talking about fast and frozen

Yes, 11degrees and heavy rain according to whatever the first online weather forecast came up when I googled it; area looking pretty waterlogged in this photo already: https://www.facebook.com/dubendorf2020/photos/pcb.556508031606841/556507918273519/?type=3&theater

Guess we’ll see more photoes coming out this evening.

ferrals
    Free Member
    MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Good Find Ferrals,
    Hope that cuts in, long grass, but the tufts of grass/bumps on the banks look awful!
    looks like it end up with mainly one line when they get the riders on and smooth it out a bit,
    going to be hard/lot of effort to get past people if that happens.

ferrals
    Free Member

Looks a lot like some of the cow fields I’ve raced in on local league races!! excluding the multi storey bridges of course…

From the vid it kind of looked like the commisarie had an objection to the tussocks so maybe they’ll take a strimmer to it. Looks drier than in the previous pictures too

IdleJon

Pidcock is 5ft 2″ (1.57m apparently!)
    Unless he was stood on a box when I met him, he’s certainly a lot taller than that, and at 5’2″ 700c wheels would look huge next to him.

I just took that off The Internet! He doesn’t look that small on the TV, although at Hoogerheide MvdP and WvA were striding over the hurdles while Pidcock had to actually heft his bike and jump. 😀

twinklydave

Well, after looking at the course previews ferrals links to up there, I suddenly feel spoilt – all of the National Trophy races we’ve had this year have been head a shoulders above that!

Still, the racing will be good, whatever the course. MVDP will walk it unless he punctures a thousand times (again…). I have hope for Pidcock to podium but I’m not 100% sure about it, as he tends to have starts as bad as mine and I can’t see anyone as far back as he often ends up getting back on terms in this one off race.

It’ll be weird watching WvA as an underdog!

Plenty of Brit podium possibilities all over the place, so it’ll be a full weekend of cheering everyone on 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Actual course preview from Kerry Werner: https://youtu.be/ShAuV58n_is

Looks like bogense’s flat cousin. Still the racing was good there even if not the most technically exciting. Think they could have made made more of that one bank they just ride along the crest of for 100m.

Ground conditions reported as heavy in the vid

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Hopefully the racing will be good. Last years course looked pretty flat but the bank features were really decisive. Not sure the couple of banks shown in the vid will be big or bad enough to make a difference. Apart from that it’s a course that tests one ability; how much seated power a rider can put out. TT’s do that! A cx course should test a full range of power and handling skills. My opinion is that this was a really poor choice for a world champs and probably chosen for its ability to handle parking and spectators. Probably quite easy to televise too.

LS
    Free Member

Looks like bogense’s flat cousin. Still the racing was good there even if not the most technically exciting

Bogense not technical? The off cambers there were so steep that you couldn’t walk on them (I tried, always walk the course once the racing has finished), with large boulders to stop you if you got it wrong. On day one it was all polished snow and day two thick mud. It was far more tricky than any course you’d see in this country.

ferrals
    Free Member

@LS – I was talking about from a TV viewing perspective obviously (though now I consider, I think I was thinking about the world cup the year before), as many people were running up and down the banking rather than riding down, which is less exciting to watch than riding the descents.. e.g I can still clearly see in my head that overtake by LVDH taking a tight line down that sandy drop to corner at Heusden-zolder in the 2016 world champs, where there is little clarity in my memory of watching bogense.

Still the proof will be in the viewing, very mixed views coming out on the social media I follow

LS
    Free Member

Bogense has only ever had the Worlds on it so I think you might be remembering a different course! Valkenburg perhaps?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘UCI Cyclocross world championships’ is closed to new replies.