Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ubuntu Games/Good Apps
  • chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been using Ubuntu for a few years now and just installed mint 11 (built on ubuntu 11) as frankly ubuntu 11 looks and feels a bit early learning centre. Anyone know of any good games for ubuntu? Also, any good applications that could make my life better in some way?

TheBrick
    Free Member

good applications that could make my life better in some way?

That all depends on what you want to do.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Ubuntu’s new unity interface is not something I got one with… but at the login screen you can choose “Ubuntu classic” which gives you Gnome 2

currently im using a different though distro Ubuntu Studio, might give mint a spin myself soon

just google theres tons of free games

managed to get some steam games I own going using this, wasn’t difficult

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

applications.. depends what you are interested in doing?

chvck
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve used wine to get a few games working (and steam, steam and the source engine work pretty well) but in general it’s just a faff and ubuntu linux games themselves tend to be rather hit and miss was just after a few recommendations.

As for what I’m interested in doing, just things that help boost productivity (ie. guake) and interesting little things that just make everyday tasks a bit quicker. I’m also a software dev so stuff linked to that would be good too!

Also, I’ve found mint to be really good, I like the layout and it’s pretty fast too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Install Steam and a number of their games are on it, Half Life/Portal 1

(needs windows Tahoe font in the wine directory)

TheBrick
    Free Member

software dev so stuff linked to that would be good too!

gdb, gprof, grep and find of course! 🙂

Eclipse is meant to be the best IDE, not used it myself, I think it’s based on the KDE text editor kate, which is what I use, quite nice. MONO is something I’ve kept on meaning to look at it’s a C# implementation.

Google GIT guis (not used one personally) https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools#Graphical_Interfaces

If you have konqueror installed fish is a really nice tool to make ssh file transfers easy. Just put fish://user@server.wahtever in the address bar. Unfortunately firefox dose not support fish and I don’t think chrome dose either.

chvck
    Free Member

grep is something that I must learn how to use at some point!

Eclipse is an OK IDE, personally I use Komodo Edit for most stuff and Eclipse for android as it also integrates nicely.

Also, for anyone that’s interested steam has 5 “free” games on offer today!

TheBrick
    Free Member

grep is something that I must learn how to use at some point!

It’s well worth learning it. I’m no master I usually just do

grep -in ‘something’ *.cpp / *.f / *.whatever

i = ignore case
    n = show line number

maybe through in a wild card character here or there.

grep + find is really useful. pipe your find results into grep and you can find virtually anything wit has complicated a criteria as you can manage.

Komodo Edit

Hmm I’ll have a look!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu Games/Good Apps’ is closed to new replies.