• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sas.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ubuntu 11.10 or stick with 10.04?
  • Woody
    Free Member

About to install a new hard drive and currently happy with 10.04 which I’ve been running for the past couple of years.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of the newer version?

ps. I’m basically one step above numpty level and only really use laptop for web browsing and a bit of word processing so please bear that in mind 😉

Markie
    Free Member

If you’re installing either version from scratch, go for the latest version. Otherwise, may as well stick with 10.04!

TheFlyingOx

The Unity interface is a bit of a chew. Not 100% intuitive. You can install the Gnome desktop, but to be honest it seems a lot of faffing about for not a lot of gain. I’d stick with 10.04.
    Also, my old laptop is noticeably slower on 11.04 vs 10.10/10.04.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chvck
    Free Member

If you want 11 but not Unity then give Mint a whirl. I’m liking it!

Woody
    Free Member

Interesting. I did try 11.04 for a short while last year and found the same.

Wondered if things had been improved on 11.10 ?

stevehine

11.10 at home; 11.04 on the work laptop – haven’t risked upgrading the work machine yet; and might wait until 12.04 for that as it’s only another 3 months.. or I might do it tonight … hmm

Woody
    Free Member

The only issue I’ve found currently is that while scrolling down pages the screen goes dim and controls freeze but continues scrolling until it’s reached the bottom and then starts operating normally again. Doesn’t happen often and it’s usually on google pics?

Any ideas?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

10.10, best version you can get (without Unity). Personally I quite like being able to customise my desktop and Unity doesn’t allow me to do that.

stevehine

So don’t use unity ? I know it’s the default desktop out of the box; but you do realise you can replace it with gnome/kde/xfce ? (not attempting to patronise anyone; but it seems an odd reason not to upgrade)

cranberry
    Free Member

Slight hijack – I’m running the latest version on a Thinkpad X60 with an SSD installed – the power management is not all that it could be – how do I make it use less power/run for longer and act less like a lapwarmer ?

Duffer
    Free Member

I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and hated it. Ended up getting Mint 11, and i’ve never looked back.

Unity is designed purely for the (now effectively defunct) Netbook market. On a screen with a decent resolution, it’s useless.

Mint: Ubuntu that works.

dobo
    Free Member

i use 11.10 server version only and its been probably the best behaved problem free edition i’ve used.

of course im using it headless with no desktop gnome/kde etc.

no reason why you cant just install 11.10 server then add xfce or whatever lean environment you like, instead off adding all the bloat of gnome

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am running Mint 9 and I am happy. I’ve tried the later release and was a bit meh with it.

guattang
    Free Member

Personally I’d stick with 10.04 and wait for 12.04 – I think Gnome-3 has potential, but it’s a way off yet. You could use 11.10 and install xfce.

I’m using Mint 11, and find it works great for me.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input.

Think I’ll stick with what I’ve got and wait for 12.04 as at least I know what I’m doing with that……sort of!

Bez

Went from 10.10 to 11.10 recently and Unity makes my blood boil. I’m jumping to Mint as soon as I can find time to install it.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m still on 10.10 here, tried 11.04 for a bit and HATED it. Not tried Mint but might give it a whirl, but holding out for 12.04.

Woody
    Free Member

Might have a look at Mint – is the install the same as the others or does it require faffing?

sas
    Free Member

I find 11.10 works really well on my Netbook. If you’re not sure couldn’t you try a LiveUSB?

What’s meant to be better in 12.04?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu 11.10 or stick with 10.04?’ is closed to new replies.