Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Uberbike finned pads experience and PSA
  • damascus
    Free Member

Uberbike have a 20% discount this weekend with code MIDMONTH20.

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/447/Finned-Disc-Brake-Pads

Ive used the normal pads before and I’ve been impressed.

My road bike has genuine xt finned pads which need replacing.

What’s your experience of the finned pads? Do they work? Do they rattle? Do they just add weight?

poah
    Free Member

I don’t like them.  because they are not one peace you get a bit of extra lever pull.  I also don’t like their race matrix compound.  I’d just fit the genuine pads.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve used them for a while – been fine.  Work as well as any other pad I’ve used, never rattled and never noticed any different lever pull. For mtb I think the fins are probably a waste of time for UK conditions, although I guess for a road bike they may make a difference.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Been fine for me, no rattle and I’m using the race matrix compound which I like. The sintered compound was awful for me, made so much noise. Not tried their resin compound.

Akers

I fitted them to my Hope E4’s for a week in the Alps, as I wanted the extra cooling provided by the fins. They worked fine all week and still had plenty of pad material left at the end. I’ll be sticking with them them now back home too.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Work well for me

oldtalent
    Free Member

Good PSA. I have the non finned racematriz ones on my dh bike and they are superb.

Will try them on my enduro bike with saints as sintered Shimano ones are 30 quid these days.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

They’re alright – taken mine out and just put the normal race matrix ones in.

Mainly due to the fact they are fiddly to put together.

BoardinBob

Battered their race matrix kevlar pads for the past 2 weeks in the alps and beyond. 15,000 ft of descending a day, so a proper test of their capabilities. Absolutely faultless. Great bite, reliable performance and zero fade. Replaced the rears towards the end of the two weeks as they were pretty worn but still performed perfectly

i_like_food

Interesting to hear other people’s positive experiences I’ve had twotwo pa of Uberbike Shimano pads that came unstuck (in that the pad material came away from the metal backing) so I’ve steered clear. Since they’re such a critical part I’ve stuck with Shimano since but maybe I was just unlucky.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive ordered some of the XL pads for my guides to try out.

welshfarmer

I bought a set of finned pads with semi metallic pads or my Zees before the Alps a few weeks back as they were the only ones available with fins. I also bought a 4 pack of sintered inserts in case I needed to change them. The semi metallics were brilliant, great feel and modulation and quiet as a mouse. However, I wore the rears down after 3 days to the point where I was forced to change them. Well the sintered ones were rubbish in comparison. Either on or off with little or nothing in between other than hideous amounts of noise if you so much as touched the lever.

fergal
    Free Member

Just back from the Alps sintered pads were not great and very noisy.

baddddad
    Free Member

Fine for bombing around Surrey hills but used them in Finale last year and they just didn’t work well for me when hot. Switched to genuine pads after one day which were way better

Poopscoop

I used the finned race matrix for a short while before going to Guides which have the S4 calipers which they don’t fit sadly.

So… Went for the normal non finned race matrix.

I’m a big guy on a 30Lb+ bike…. These pads are great. Lovely modulation and great stopping power even for a brake dragger like myself.😃

BoardinBob

used them in Finale last year and they just didn’t work well for me when hot.

I just did 5 days in Finale with 40 degree+ temps and they were fine for a big unit like me who’s a serial brake dragger

Northwind

If you’ve got decent brakes there’s no point in finned pads- it could be useful if it’s designed in but other’n that they only benefit poor brakes that can’t deal with heat properly. That said, if your brakes aren’t up to the job it’s cheaper than replacing them, today at least.

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve used the they work. Dry well, they are though very fiddly to fit as fin is separate to the pad and the spring took a few goes to get it right.

I’ll not use them again will just get a Shimano or unfinned, reminds me to round up the spares and sell them

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Uberbike finned pads experience and PSA’ is closed to new replies.