Uberbike Bottom Brackets – Any Good?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Uberbike Bottom Brackets – Any Good?
  • 1timmy1

I need to replace my SRAM GXP BB, Uberbike currently have 20% off so they stainless one is now £28 delivered and apparently now comes with replaceable SKF bearings.  Anyone had them and can comment vs. the standard SRAM one?

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

I used a ceramic one and it lasted the Tour Divide.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

The ceramic ones are brilliant, spin very fast and didn’t develop play in over a year for me. Usually go through Shimano, Raceface, SRAM BBs in about 3 months.

I bought a non-ceramic set in january, they were very dead by May with occaisional riding. One side was complete seized so that i couldn’t even free it after I’d removed it and soaked it in wd40.

Also had problems with two sets of their jockey wheels. I won’t be buying either from them again.

Their race matrix pads are awesome tho!

Yep, same for me. The standard steel bearing one I had lasted a couple of months before seizing. The sealing on it was rubbish. I won’t be buying another from them.

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Standard one been in for 6 months and still perfect. Has been a really dry summer though.

soobalias

i had a stainless HT2 from them years ago, lasted superbly

1timmy1

Cheers for the posts, some mixed responses there. Is it easy to change the bearings in their BB?  Might save money in the long run. Kinda ruled out the ceramic one due to the higher price and I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

enigmas

Just bought one of the steel ones with the new skf bearings. Haven’t used it yet as the dry summer meant my sram bb has lasted more than a couple of months.

Seemed well made and I like how you can knock the bearings out and reuse the cups. I did pull the end caps off and they seemed secure and tolerances were tight. There was barely any grease between the cap and bearing though so I packed it up with marine grease to provide an extra layer of protection against water ingress.

Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

Can’t comment on the Uberbikes Stainless Steel ones, as they were out of stock (for weeks!!) when I needed one. Bought a Praxxis Works GXP instead which seems much better made than the standard SRAM offerings. Going good so far, but it’s only been in 3 months of dry weather so can’t comment on durability yet …

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

Despite it lasting well I don’t think I’d bother with a ceramic one again, particularly if the SS has skf bearings. I think ceramic bearings fall into the snake oil category.

1timmy1

I might give the stainless one a go and see how it is.

antop34

Did anyone have any issues getting the ‘top hat’ style bearing caps to fit onto their crank spindle? it is proving a real pain for me, they have been great and sent new caps but still no luck.

Standard Raceface Aeffect 24mm spindle btw

submarined

I’ve had all sorts of issues with tolerances and taps bearing wear on the GXP one. Eventually gave up and resorted to a SRAM one.

1timmy1

I’ve not installed my uberbike BB yet, my ‘fix’ to the SRAM one is still going. Might change it after the winter.

docrobster

I’ve had issues with the top hats getting stuck as the axle goes in and out. On some old ht2 cranks. Back to Shimano….

I have the uberbike stainless gxp. It doesn’t hold onto grease any better than any other gxp, but at least it doesn’t rust.

Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

The stainless one I bought didn’t last any longer than the (cheaper) Shimano one it replaced – sticking with Shimano now (though the Hope one on my Five is going strong after 8 years)

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I’ve changed all our GXP BB’s to Shimano with 99p adaptor from eBay.

Cheap and last so much longer.

I also had issues with ‘top hat’ from my Marin own brand cranks not fitting Shimano BB.

My stainless one lased a few weeks, which is better than the tubeless sealant which never worked at all, the race matrix brake pads are fine though.

1timmy1

I have just installed the Uberbike BB but I am having an issue. I have installed the spacers according to the instructions for my 73mm bottom bracket (2.5mm drive side bb cup, 5mm non drive side on axle). When I start to tighten up my GX Eagle cranks they become stiff to rotate at around 30nm. I am meant to tighten them up to 48-54nm. Is this right?

1timmy1

Well, it turns out I had the spacers on the wrong sides… all sorted now 🙂 Lets see how well this BB lasts.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.