Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 5,513 total)
  • U.S. Presidential Election 2020
  • NewRetroTom

I think the best line for Trump to take is that the voters have been cheating by not listening to the orange trump pixie jumping up and down on their right shoulder.
    Surely he could get the whole thing re-run based on that?

weeksy

His ego is the only thing he has.

Well in the context of ‘what did you make of yourself’ he’s arguably find well with a bit of ego.
    Like or dislike him, he’s achieved a lot

ransos
    Free Member

Biden just turned Georgia. Now in front.

Biden up in Georgia now! (900 odd votes)

Georgia has now flipped…

917 votes to Biden.

What’s happening in Georgia?

thols2

Updated map. Trump has to win PA and two of NV, AZ, and GA to win or tie. Most likely 306-232 for Biden.

grum
    Free Member

What’s he achieved weeksy?

Imagine the carnage if Trump somehow stays out of prison and tries to get on the ticket again!

More likely Don Jr I think :-/

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if the Dems will be more able to out-fund and out-campaign in the senate runoff?

thols2

What’s happening in Georgia?

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/2020/general/georgia

VOTES PCT%
    Joe Biden 2,449,371 49.39%
    Donald J. Trump * 2,448,454 49.37%
    Jo Jorgensen 61,380 1.24%

martinhutch

More likely Don Jr I think :-/

Would be even funnier. I can see the idea of handing over to Don Jr after two ‘successful’ terms, but after your dad, you know, the one with the personality and the media career, gets unceremoniously booted out after one term, I can’t see it getting traction.

I think he will try to invent his role as some kind of custodian of the ‘base’, a kingmaker of sorts. Also funny as the GOP candidates try to cosy up to him while not cosying up to him!

frankconway

Under Georgia’s election law there is an automatic right to a re-count if the winning margin is 0.5% or less; 2 business days allowed for losing candidate to request re-count.
    In round numbers the votes cast were 5,000,000 so Biden would need to be ahead by more than 25,000 to negate that right.
    I don’t think there are enough uncounted votes for Biden to hit that.
    Even if he did, team trump would be banging on the courthouse door.
    In the senate vote, looks like both Perdue and Loeffler will be involved in run-off votes so control of the senate is, theoretically, still in the balance; currently 48-48.

From a wider perspective, this whole fiasco might provide impetus to review the entire US voting system.
    It’s incredibly unwieldy.

pedlad

I do hope someone in NE scotland is planning an early hours Sat trip to his golf greens with blue dye……..

weeksy

What’s he achieved weeksy?

He became president of the US? He has a wealth of $2.5bn.

That’s hardly nothing is it?

grum
    Free Member

Can anyone remember the link to that snazzy animated ‘chart race’ thing where it showed the states corona infection rates according to levels of republican/democratic support?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

He has a wealth of $2.5bn.

Maybe…

molgrips
    Free Member

The wealth is a red herring. He didn’t earn any of it, he was given it. If he’d put the money he was given in the bank he’d have more than he does now. He’s actually net losing money.

Also I don’t rate his election to President as an achievement much. He shamelessly bullshitted and people believed him.

What he’s good at is manipulating people.

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s incredibly unwieldy.

a good description of america in general.

olddog

From a republican rep

frankconway

The reason trump won’t release his tax returns is they would show his true wealth.
    That would puncture his balloon.

razorrazoo

From the Guardian this morning after last night’s presser:

‘We have so much evidence’

TRUMP: “We’re hearing stories that are horror stories … We think there is going to be a lot of litigation because we have so much evidence and so much proof.”

THE FACTS: Trump has produced no evidence of systemic problems in voting or counting.

Pennsylvania

TRUMP: “In Pennsylvania partisan Democrats have allowed ballots in the state to be received three days after the election and we think much more than that and they are counting those without any postmarks or any identification whatsoever.”

THE FACTS: The state supreme court, not “partisan Democrats”, ordered that ballots filled out before the end of election day could be received up to three days later and still be counted.

TRUMP: “Pennsylvania Democrats have gone to the state supreme court to try and ban our election observers’

THE FACTS: That is false. The president is wholly misrepresenting the court case. No one tried to ban poll watchers representing each side.

Michigan

TRUMP: “Our campaign has been denied access to observe any counting in Detroit.”

THE FACTS: That is false. Absentee ballots were counted at a downtown convention centre where 134 counting boards were set up. Each party was allowed one poll watcher per board.

Georgia

TRUMP: “The election apparatus in Georgia is run by Democrats.”

THE FACTS: False. The state’s elections are overseen by a Republican – the secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger.

Legality of votes

TRUMP: “If you count the legal votes, I easily win. If you count the illegal votes, they can try to steal the election from us.”

THE FACTS: This is baseless. Neither Trump’s campaign aides nor election officials have identified substantial numbers of “illegal” votes. He frequently speaks as if mail-in voting is illegitimate, but it has been done in accordance with state voting rules.

grahamt1980

Plus show the level of creative accounting that has happened to let him pay such a small amount in tax

docrobster
    Free Member

So, if Biden gets Georgia, Arizona, Nevada and Pennsyvania and wins 306-232, were the pollsters not wrong after all?
    I’ve no idea how close US elections are normally, but that would give him 13% more college votes than Donny Orangeman…

grum
    Free Member

He does have a good point though, which is that if you discard all the votes for Biden, he’s the clear winner.

@weeksy
    have a look at this

https://www.messynessychic.com/2018/03/20/ghost-hotels-of-trumps-atlantic-city-empire/

Or Google Trump University

The guy is a serial conman. Give someone with no morals all the privilege in the world and a billion dollars and yeah they might do ok for a while. The house of cards is crashing down as we speak though.

And that’s without even getting into his close ties to organised crime in NY construction/concrete etc

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

If Biden does win/has won, the US has rejected the wall, Trump and the rest of his baggage.

However the UK thunk Brexit was whizzer and moar Tory was the needed, and Bozzer was the bloke to be behind the steering wheel.

Just sayin’.

olddog

CNN basically saying that Biden has won Pennsylvania – just waiting for the announcements.

zilog6128

The wealth is a red herring. He didn’t earn any of it, he was given it. If he’d put the money he was given in the bank he’d have more than he does now.

@molgrips really? He inherited circa $500M, is now worth possibly $3B, and that is on top of having lived a proper billionaire’s lifestyle for many years, not to mention paying for his presidential campaign! That is a helluva interest rate from this bank of yours 😳 Sign me up!!

thols2

So, if Biden gets Georgia, Arizona, Nevada and Pennsyvania and wins 306-232, were the pollsters not wrong after all?

Pollsters are never exactly right. In this case, they said that Biden was highly favoured to win, probably by a comfortable margin. However, there was a small chance that Trump could win, and also a small chance that Biden could win a landslide (if he took Texas, for example). In that sense, the pollsters were right.

However, they overestimated Biden’s nationwide lead by quite a lot, and state polls were all over the place. Clearly their models have overlooked something important. One possibility is just that Trump supporters wanted to mess with the polls and a lot of them reported being Biden supporters.

In Florida and Texas, Hispanic males voted for Trump much more than predicted. That’s a major concern for the Democratic Party.

colp

Regarding the senate, imagine the effect on Trump’s base if it ended up 50/50 and a woman of colour got the final say on every vote. Beautiful.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

is now worth possibly $3B

Very questionable.

dazh

Interesting thing now is what he does or tries to do during transition. His staff will be bailing out looking for other jobs, and the White House bureaucracy will take their orders from the Biden transition team. He’ll be left on his own in the Oval Office like a squatter with his tweets being censored and the media ignoring him. A fitting end for the narcissist in chief.

pondo

@molgrips really? He inherited circa $500M, is now worth possibly $3B, and that is on top of having lived a proper billionaire’s lifestyle for many years, not to mention paying for his presidential campaign! That is a helluva interest rate from this bank of yours 😳 Sign me up!!

Three billion? Give your head a shake – he pays nothing in tax, won’t release his tax returns and has been bankrupt almost as often as he’s committed sexual assault. If he really had billions, you’d know all about it, rather than him just saying he has, which carries about as much weight as me saying it.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Mccain is not a saint. He’s a politician who likes war but puts a cuddly face on it.

That clip of him singing about bombing Iran was clearly in jest, in response to an audience member asking about sending an airmail message to Iran.
    My grandparents sang songs about killing Germans. Actually did too. They were pretty decent human beings though.

Joe Biden voted for war in Iraq, a quagmire that is still killing people. He gave impassioned speeches about and worked with a the fairly racist and very segregationalist Jesse Helms to stop federal funding of school bussing to integrate the south. Yet pretty much everyone one on here and around the world is hoping he becomes next president. So you could say that biden is a racist politician who likes war and stopping people of colour having equal access to a fundamental human right. Square that circle.

Not being a saint doesn’t mean you can’t be a decent human being.

chakaping
    Free Member

One possibility is just that Trump supporters wanted to mess with the polls and a lot of them reported being Biden supporters.

Much more likely the “shy Tory” effect, no?

pondo

In Florida and Texas, Hispanic males voted for Trump much more than predicted. That’s a major concern for the Democratic Party.

Crazy support for a man who called Mexicans racists and is actively building a wall between the US and their Hispanic neighbours. But yeah, some questions for Dems to ask themselves there.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Three billion? Give your head a shake – he pays nothing in tax

That’s not actually true though. It’s a sensational headline from NYT. One year he paid no tax because he overpaid the year before and had a drop in income.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He’ll be left on his own in the Oval Office like a squatter

Squatting over the drawers in the Resolute Desk, I would imagine.

sharkbait
    Free Member

not to mention paying for his presidential campaign!

I very very much doubt he would have put much money into his campaign….. get the other suckers to pay.
    (see his current search for funding of the forthcoming legal battles – if he was that sure and that rich why not pay the legal bill himself??)

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@molgrips really? He inherited circa $500M, is now worth possibly $3B, and that is on top of having lived a proper billionaire’s lifestyle for many years, not to mention paying for his presidential campaign! That is a helluva interest rate from this bank of yours 😳 Sign me up!!

The only part of his business empire that made any money is the part his dad built. He’s been bankrupt more times than he’s been married but because of bankruptcy laws, somehow managed to hold on to most of his assets. His billionaires lifestyle is largely funded by debt, 100s of millions about to come due.
    He didn’t pay for his presidential campaigns no matter what he says. RNC, fundraising and, quite possibly, Russian and Chinese interests.

Business man my arse. He couldn’t organise a profitable bank robbery

piemonster

Yet pretty much everyone one on here and around the world is hoping he becomes next president. So you could say that biden is a racist politician who likes war and stopping people of colour having equal access to a fundamental human right. Square that circle.

Not being a saint doesn’t mean you can’t be a decent human being.

Support for Biden over Donald outside the US is more a reflection on just how much of a repulsive **** Donald manages to be.

pondo

It’s a sensational headline from NYT. One year he paid no tax because he overpaid the year before and had a drop in income.

Ask yourself why it was an NYT headline, rather than a voluntary release of his tax returns, first time in forty years a president has not released them. Ten of the last 15 years, he’s paid no tax because he’s recorded losses with the IRS, he’s also battling with them over a $73 million tax refund he claimed after declaring massive losses.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

That’s not actually true though. It’s a sensational headline from NYT. One year he paid no tax because he overpaid the year before and had a drop in income.

He consistently pays no tax because his losses are so massive and he writests them off against his income. Although there are some questions about the legitimacy of that. Doubtless the IRS will take an interest if he loses the protection of the presidency.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 5,513 total)

The topic ‘U.S. Presidential Election 2020’ is closed to new replies.