Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tyres that are a bit like a Mezcal but aren’t a Mezcal
  • easily
    Free Member

I ride my MTB mostly on the streets, canal paths, a bit of bumpy off-road … nothing too gnar. I’m looking for a 29er that’s about 2 inches wide and has a ridge that will allow it to roll well on hard surfaces.
    I use tubes so I don’t need a tubeless specific tyre.

Any suggestions?

martinhutch

Crossmark II/Bontrager XR1

Not sure I’d stick either on the front for off-road duties, but great for the rear.

13thfloormonk

A WTB Nano surely?

I ran the Terreno XC all summer, lovely fast tyres but eventually I pushed them too hard on some loose singletrack where there wasn’t much margin for error, they’re best on wider tracks where you can afford a bit of understeer! 😂

easily
    Free Member

I’m thinking about Nanos of course, I’ve used them before. I just wondered if there was anything else I should be considering.

Crossmark ann Bontrager Xr1 both look interesting, thanks.
    I’ve been having a good look at the terrano. I’ve always liked Vittoria tyres, so that’s on my list.

snotrag

Goodyear Connector 700×50!

Hear me out – that’s nigh on a 29*2 in imperial measurements. Work great on my ‘burly’ gravel bike which is almost an MTB.

Perfect for the terrain you describe. Good value too, on offer usually somewhere.

komainu
    Free Member

Halo Twin Rail II

easily
    Free Member

I like the look of those Connectors. They seem a bit pricey – maybe I’ll look for one of those offers. Cheers.

I was hoping somebody would mention the Twin Rails, @komainu , I’m curious about them. Do you actually use them? Many punctures?
    I’m so un-gnarish that I usually run high pressures. Any problems?

komainu
    Free Member

I’ve used Twin Rails on bikes in the past. The puncture protection is ace, can’t remember ever suffering a flat with them, though it does add a bit of extra weight. Definitely worth it if you’re running tubes though. Pumped up to high pressures they corner like a beast! You can lean them over without any loss in traction due to the balloon tyre profile & when pressures are run lower they provide ample grip in mild off road conditions.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Mezcals?

lovewookie

Crossmarks are ok, but I’d go for a saguaro as a good all-round fast roller.

ahsat

You like Vittoria; have described a tyre like a Mezcal; and want a tyre that is like is like a Mezcal, but isn’t a Mezcal?

I’m a bit confused by the last bit. Why not just buy a Mezcal?

Otherwise Nano.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks komainu, that’s all good to read.

I love Mezcals but I cannot get the Mezcal I like anywhere. The type I have used before is a rigid 29×2.1, but they seem to be completely sold out. I might try a folding, but then thought if I’m going for something untried I might as well ask.

Hey! It’s always worth checking with the mighty collective insight of STW, isn’t it?

jonnyrockymountain

Rigid ???? You need tubeless mezcal, just do it you won’t go back

budadav
    Free Member

I’ve just put some teravail sparwoods on my Fargo for much the same use – really like them

ahsat

Ah fair enough. That detail was missing before. Equally I run folding Barzos and they are great. Don’t be afraid to go folding if you like the tread pattern.

jameso

The Vittoria Saguaro? They’re good Nano-likes in a 2.0 or 2.2. Not really sure why there’s a Mezcal and Saguaro in their range as they’re very similar. The centre rib is lower or feels a bit more table than an Nano at the expense of a slight increase in road buzz. Still smooth-rolling tyres. Fast too. I use the 2.2s for bikepacking trips that take in a lot of lanes and byways.
    The set I have did the whole GDMTBR route a number of years ago and now relegated to 4-6 trips in the UK a year. They’ve lasted well.

jameso

he Twin Rails, @komainu , I’m curious about them. Do you actually use them? Many punctures?

I rode with a chap in a place that might be the nastiest I’ve known for sharp rock shards and thorns. 8 days there. My EXO Maxxis had some issues, my mate’s Schwalbes were shredded and this chap’s Twin Rails with tubes in were pretty much untouched.

intheborders
    Free Member

Tubes, high pressure, no grip, steel beads, 2″ wide, barely off-road – you need a CX bike not an MTB.

survivor

@easily

Out of interest I just checked expected restock dates for the size you mentioned. Due in at distributor next month on the 6th if you can wait.

A Barzo in the size and spec I want isn’t until December 22 😱

steve_b77
    Free Member

Either MSC Dragster or MSC Roller the Dragster is stupidly fast and the Roller has a little more grip, but does have that central ridge you’re on about.

I’ve been on them for 2 years now and they’re ace, just as robust as Vittoria, wear as well and are as grippy.

easily
    Free Member

Lots more useful suggestions, thanks everyone.

I’ve written about tubeless before, I’m not going through it all again so I’ll just say Im a slow adopter, one day I’ll probably give it a go but not today.
    Jameso – thanks, that’s really useful stuff to read. Definitely on my shortlist.
    intheborders – what I want is a Mtb that rides a bit like a cx bike. I like this bike, Im happy with the wide flat bars.
    survivor – nice one, where did you get that info? Im off on holiday without this bike soon, so I can easily wait till next month – maybe I’ll just stick with the mezcals then.

Thanks again everyone. I don’t really know many other cyclists, so I often ask here and always get a good range of informed opinions. I wish I could give all of them a try for a month.

Klunk
    Free Member

Schwalbe Hurricane if you don’t mind a wire bead

survivor

@easily

I work in a bike shop. Madison are now the UK distributor for Vittoria.

Ask your LBS to order you one and they’ll put it on back order. Should arrive with them a few days after the 6th if the expected restock date stays the same.

13thfloormonk

Easily – don’t be put off folding tyres just because you don’t run tubeless, I’ve been running Vittoria TNT (grey sidewall) and TLR (tan sidewall) with tubes on and off throughout the year and they’ve been great.

I think (might be wrong) that wired bead tyres (assuming this is what you mean by ‘rigid’) typically also come with cheaper compounds etc.

branes

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

Continental Race King. Centre ridge turns out to be irrelevant looking at the numbers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tyres that are a bit like a Mezcal but aren’t a Mezcal’ is closed to new replies.