• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tyres question…. No, not a 'what tyres?' question.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Might be a daft question but work's a bit slow…
    How worn down do you let your tyres get before replacing them? I've got High Rollers on my 'trail' bike and they're getting a bit worn and nowhere near as grippy as they once were, but they still have tread so it seems wrong to replace them… What do others do? Should I replace the front one and use the worn one on the rear when the one I leave on is totally trashed…?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

work must be slow…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Lol. Aye, it is. 🙂 Whiling away the time thinking about bikes…

falkirk-mark

When you fall off and hurt yourself then change them.

mtbfix

I have a loft full of tyres due to just this conundrum. Now I move tyres onto the work bike when I have decided their time is up as grip on that is less of an issue.

thomthumb
    Free Member

until they're out of fashion? 😉

until i can notice the difference.

was always advised not to move rear tyres forward (because of the extra weight on the rear) but the other way should be fine. Don't really need much grip on the rear anyway.

jojoA1
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – Member
    When you fall off and hurt yourself then change them.

I like this one for a nice common-sense solution 🙂 ^^^^^

I wouldn't be moving a worn rear tyre forwards as I've always been told you need best grippage on the front.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I just stick them on a hack until they're bald.

jojoA1
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member
    I just stick them on a hack until they're bald.

What if every bike you own is a finely tuned race machine….?

Think I'll put them on my son's bike, he won't notice….. 😉

juan
    Free Member

Think I'll put them on my son's bike, he won't notice…..

Dial social service number 😉

jam-bo

I only realised how worn my rollers were when a mate got some shiny new ones.

So i carried on riding them until the rain came and put some mud tyres on. I'll get some new ones next summer…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Tricky one, I usually find that it's a combination of worn tread plus damage to the sidewall that convinces me to bin them. It also helps to find yourself next to someone with a brand new set of the same tires to highlight how worn they are!

Usually I switch the front one to the back and put the new one on the front, depending on wear obviously.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What if every bike you own is a finely tuned race machine….?

In that case I suggest just burning your half worn tyres on a bonfire to keep your warm in those northern wastes. Plus, if everyone did that Scottishville would become the new French Riviera sharpish.

Kit
    Free Member

When the centre knobs are nearly flat I bin the tyre and stick the front one on the back, and replace the front. Although not been riding so much for the past year so hasn't been an issue for a while!

I'm not sure what to do with my Mud-X tyres though, as the big knobs have wee knobs (well, grooves really) on them, which have worn, but the big knobs are still good. Reluctant to bin them since they still look fine from a distance!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tyres question…. No, not a 'what tyres?' question.’ is closed to new replies.