Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyres Question Again (Sorry)
  • jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve not been totally convinced by the Wild Enduro I have on the front of my Mega. It’s pretty grippy, but it’s a bit too light for my tastes, and every so often it loses grip in a very unexpected way. It’s also been consistently slower on timed runs (Strava and races) than my old SG Magic Mary on trails I know very well.

So, I’m thinking of sticking it on the back when my DHF bites the dust and going for one of the following:
    Shorty WT DD Maxxgrip – this looks like a good choice, but I’m wondering how it will fare on wet roots (the old non WT tyre was a bit sketchy on these) and harder trails like BPW reds/blacks and Wind Hill. Also, I like consistent grip as I lean in – not sure whether the Shorty has one of those vague spots as you lean over.
    Assegai Maxxgrip DD or DH – quite like the look of this, but wondering if it will be any good in the inevitable wet weather.
    Magic Mary Ultrasoft SG – I know this tyre well, so if the other two aren’t consistently better I’ll probably go back to one of these.

I’m not interested in other choices, or casings. I’ve come to realise that I prefer a heavier casing on the front for the extra support and decrease in twitchiness it provides.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

JP

dhrider
    Free Member

Stick with what you know and are happy with!

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t ridden the Assegai but everything I’ve read suggests that the Magic Mary sits in between it and the Shorty. The 2.5 WT Shorty is a much better front tyre in mixed conditions than the 2.3 and I don’t find it at all on/off – the centre knobs are similar to the side knobs, there isn’t a big channel and it’s quite round.

It seems the weak points of the Assegai is that it’s the slowest rolling tyre ever (bar full spikes) and that it clogs up in sticky clay mud, so it depends on where you ride – it wouldn’t work aorund here for sure!

Recently returned to the Magic Mary and it’s a bloody good front tyre. Mine’s the lighter carcass and ‘only’ soft compound but if I was racing I concur that heavier casings and stickier compounds are great!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Cheers. I do like the Magic Mary, but I’m always on the lookout for something new. I quite like the look of the Shorty and there are some good offers on it at the moment.

Cheers,

JP

joebristol

Depending what you ride, if you fancy a change then maybe try the Assegai?

How does the wild enduro compare with a DHF on the front and a Magic Mary on the front?

Could you also consider a DHR2 on the front in 2.4WT?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Wild Enduro is a funny tyre – sometimes it feels great, other times it feels awful. The Magic Mary was grippier than a DHF or a High Roller II, but both of those were non WT tyres and in Maxterra, so not exactly comparing like with like.

JP

joebristol

I’ve got a 2.35 magic Mary addix soft snakeskin and a dhf 2.5wr 3c exo – I run one on the hardtail and one on the full suss. Dhf is a hetter all rounder for me as I do more hardpack trail centre than softer more natural stuff, but if it was the other way round the Mary would be a better compromise. The DHF is beginning to round the edges of the knobs a bit so I’m considering replacing it at some point. Not sure whether to get the same again, the Assegai or try the Wild Enduro

russyh
    Free Member

Wild Enduro is a funny tyre – sometimes it feels great, other times it feels awful.

100% this, is have perceived on with it as presumed it was just me!  But it’s an interesting tyre.  Unpredictable is a good way to describe it.  Also I found it a tyre that holds its line almost stubbornly.  Meaning you have to really work it bloody hard.  Still my favourite tyre is the 2.6 Mary Soft.  Unfortunately Schwalbe don’t make a back tyre in their range to complement it.

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru

The 2.5 WT Shorty is a much better front tyre in mixed conditions than the 2.3

Aye, this. Slow rolling but it’s not one of those tyres where the 2.5 is just like the 2.3 but more so, it feels and rides pretty different. I prefer it to the mary supersoft, though they’re both brilliant tyres.

Also, was your old tyre a maxxterra or maxxgrip? There’s a fair amount of difference

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

The wild enduro is a great tyre on rocky stuff but show it wet grass and it can go at any second, am going back to a magic Mary up front, u know what u getting with a magic Mary

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyres Question Again (Sorry)’ is closed to new replies.