Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Tyres – Found some good ones.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I've used quite a few over the last year I'm cheap so don't want to spend lots on uber tyres.

Continental Verticals 13 quid each, lightish, fast rolling and grip like shit on a blanket.

I expect the expensive versions are even better.

scaredypants

nobody say "conti v*rt pro" or you'll open up a wormhole back to the old stw and the internet will collapse 😯

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Onza Porcupines.

Whyte1
    Free Member

if you think they are grippy try Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 Maxpro's get the folding kevlar bead single ply ones – you'll frighten yourself with the speed you'll be able to corner

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've got a set of high rollers seem to roll too slowly to me. Onza porcupines?? Yes the contis are old but they are good.

In the shed at the mo

High rollers folding
    Speed Kings folding
    Mountain Kings folding protection
    Fire Xc's
    Specialized Endruos PRO

I like these old fellas better.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Farmer John's Cousins FTW!

emac65
    Free Member

Better stock up on your puncture repair kit & get plenty of tubes in…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use them and don't have a puncture issue – really nice tyres in many ways but – when they let go they do it without warning especially on the front. fairly useless in mud as well but cheap light and fast rolling.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've always liked Tioga Facory XC.

joolsburger
    Free Member

emac I'm 16.5 stone on a 30lb bike and ride hard, not one puncture in two months.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to run Conti Verts on all my bikes and didn't find them particularily puncture prone, even on hardtails – and I'm no lightweight.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Only useful as a trail centre tire imo due to being light and fast rolling

And there are much better tires out there for that too.

Complete crap for anything else unless it is bone dry and dusty

djc1245
    Free Member

Spesh Storm Control and Nobby Nics are my current favourites

epicsteve
    Free Member

Storm Controls are what I'm currently using on my Enduro. Haven't decided what to use for the summer yet.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Funny as I was out in the wet for four hours today on mud, roots, rocks and all sorts and they performed perfectly.

I expect I'm a crap rider though. 🙄

glenh
    Free Member

Conti Verts are rubbish

drew

I don't Know alot about tyres but I do know conti verts are rubbish in mud.

BigR

Good on the rear but dangerous up front. Work best when pumped up to a reasonable pressure.

DickBarton

I got some 2.somethings High Roller folding things on my Marin – not the 2.35s and I found them terrible – great in a straight line, awful for anything else unless it was bone dry…so they got replaced with some Conti Vert Pros – which I find work very well in all conditions (apart from the thick fresh snow that we had a wee while back – but I suspect all tyres would have done the same)…

I do fancy trying the wider High Rollers but they cost a bit and there is still life in the verts…so I'll be leaving them well alone until I wear the Verts out.

A great tyre for my riding (which is now involving more pedalling than walking!)…

If those High Roller Foldings in your garage are going to go for sale, let me know as I could be tempted…

mudshark
    Free Member

I use CVPs when it's in between muddy and dry and think they do well then…but only because I have them and prefer other tyres when it is dry or muddy. Have ripped a knob off now though.

martyntr
    Free Member

Panaracer Dart up front and a Panaracer Smoke on the back…….. or White Onza Porcupines…

wwaswas

lol @ scardeypants.

those were the days 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Conti Verts are brilliant.

Ad infinitum.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Yeah, verticals aren't great in thick mud as they just clog up.

However on virtually all other surfaces they grip pretty well. They certainly aren't puncture prone; I've only ever had a few snakebites mostly from DH stuff, but that's because single ply tyres for DH should be avoided like the plague (I didn't have any dual ply at the time though).

They are a very underestimated tyre. Took them to the Dyfi forest down all the Motocross stuff and they stuck pretty well with no problems. They gripped the loose shale on the Dyfi enduro no problem and filled me with confidence.

To all those who knock it for it's mud problems:
    The manufacturer who makes a perfect all-condition tyre that rolls well over all surfaces will drive everyone else out of business, and don't exist yet. The Verticals are a great tyre that work pretty well on everything except deep mud (where you probably need a proper mud spike anyway)

Olly
    Free Member

Race Kings FTW!

tron
    Free Member

I quite liked the Tioga Factories as cheap tyres too.

ouzel

Panaracer Smokes and Onza Porcupines – do they still make those ?! I do have some, but they are getting pretty old and sidewall crumbly. I was under the impression that things had moved on since 1990 (?!). Or have they not ?

glenh
    Free Member

Tioga Psychos baby! They were lethal….

topangarider
    Free Member

+1 for Tioga Psycho 2's!! Yee Ha! Those light grey ones with the amber sidewall; awesome!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I swear this forum is a timewarp.

Anything made by conti is rubbish. Science Fact that is.

2.35 highrollers rock. OK its like dragging a concrete block behind you, but they're ace on the way down.

martyntr
    Free Member

ousel – I think they remade the panaracer smoke and dart a couple of years ago IIRC.

Currently my Fave tyres are MTN kings and Nobby Nicks……. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – Found some good ones.’ is closed to new replies.