Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tyres for the peak district
  • mike17
    Free Member

I have recently moved to sheffield and I am building up a long travel (150mm) hardtail. What tyres would you recommend that can be used all year round, are reasonably light and will help avoid pinch flats?

Pook

I use pan fire xcs.

welcome to Sheffield BTW!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d take two.. one on the front, one on the back

tragically1969
    Free Member

deleted post

rob-jackson
    Free Member

spesh eskars are perfect for me in the peaks

random1.andy
    Free Member

I use High Rollers 2.35 front and back, no problem with pinch flats in the last year and work well, used to run Panaracer Cinders and had a few pinch flats in them and kenda Nevagal before that with a few pinchs but they were lower volume. my mate ran racing ralphs and had plenty of pinchs and a ripped wall.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Black ones, although odd colours seem to be infiltrating with no ill effects.

On a serious note, the peaks have

Roads
    Muddy fields
    Rocks
    Gravel

Any tyres going to struggle on at least one of those.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have no idea what my tyres are, they work very well.

oh and welcome to Sheff

simonm
    Free Member

After using many many tyres in the Peak over the years.

I like Advantages, Minions, Ardents(summer). Basically mix and match those, 60a’s only, nice to run 42s but you feel it on some fairly long road sections.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Done the summer on Continental x-kings and never missed a beat, PITA to seal if you are going tubeless though – even the RR versions.

First winter coming up so can’t vouch for the really claggy stuff but handled wet spells to date.

Last year used Panaracer fire XC tubeless, did find them a bit leary on slippery roots etc (with a broken collar bone to vouch for it) Not sure if the tyre can be blamed or user error … but I blamed it anyway. They are pretty weighty though but very very tough.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Either you will need a dual ply rear tyre, probably a Maxxis High Roller with a singly version for the front.

Or

You don’t need a 150mm travel hard tail.

It’s one of those two.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bigger ones seem to cope well with the rocks.

knobbly ones cope well with the mud.

something big and knobbly would be my suggestion.

i’ve either got some dmr things, a couple of black ones from maxxis, or maybe something knobbly with ‘continental’ written on the side.

sambob
    Free Member

Maxxis work well, particularly Advantage and Ignitor/Crossmark when it’s dryer. Conti race king are awful here, the rocks eat them for breakfast.

simonm
    Free Member

impressed by the attempts at most nonchalant description of tyres in this thread, pmsl.

emmodd
    Free Member

Second the Escar or Purgatory. Where in Sheffield are you based?

Sandwich

Make sure they’re round as well as black*

*Or custom colour of choice.

dan1980
    Free Member

Make sure they’re round

This. I found the hexagonal ones a real PITA in the slop :mrgreen:

thepodge
    Free Member

you may laugh but my last lot of tyres came out of the packet octagonal and are a bugger to get on the rims. it seems the trick is to let them hang for a few days so the folds drop out then fit them.

robdob
    Free Member

spesh eskars are perfect for me in the peaks

Me too, when the set that came on my Pitch wore out I bought some more as I was so impressed….

I know Pook uses Fire’s but my advice would be (if you plan to ride the Dark Peak mostly) as big a tyre as you can get!! Rocky rocky rock rock it is…. 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

In a similar situation.

I have a Larsen TT on the back and a Mud X for when it’s muddy, what can you recommend up front? Hate NN’s btw.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Me too, when the set that came on my Pitch wore out I bought some more as I was so impressed….

Really? I didn’t rate them, they were relly draggy compared to high rollers. Although they are very grippy.

carlos
    Free Member

Started off running a Panaracer Rampage up front and a Cinder on the rear, tried High Rolers and Conti somethingorother and now run 2.35 Nevegals F&R, can’t say I’ve had any problems. Yeah they can be a little draggy on wet grass and squirrely in thick mud but it’s all part of the fun.

Andituk
    Free Member

I like Rubber Queens personally, plenty of volume for the rocky stuff.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

dragggy = grippy tho tinas

Baldysquirt

Maxxis Advantage in 2.25 or 2.4 variety seem to be the tyre of choice for pretty much my whole riding group.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for the peak district’ is closed to new replies.