Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tyres for Snowdon
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Any thoughts on tyres for Snowdon? Is mostly exposed rock?

mintimperial

Yes. It’s all exposed rock. Take the biggest tyres you’ve got, with lots of air in them.

momo

Tubeless dual ply if you’ve got them.

whitestone
    Free Member

Round ones 🙄

jekkyl

Yup you’ll definitely need tyres.

nparker

Cadair Idris 2 weeks ago with Hans Dampf front/Rock Razor rear based on a few positive comments on here. Absolutely brilliant even on a rather wet Beast at CYB the day before.

gazman428
    Free Member

I did it 2 times in two consecutive weeks. The 1st one was on scwalbe’s and I ripped the tyres to bits. The following week I went with a Maxxis HRII and a minion and they lasted fine.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

EXO or dual ply?

At the moment my heavier options are Conti TK protection, Minion EXO, Chunky Monkey which is EXO. Got no dual ply tyres but the Contis are quite tough.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Shameless bump.

saxabar
    Free Member

I live nearby: HR1 single ply for years, although I try not to land on anything too pointy!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I did it twice last year running Conti TK Protections. They were great running 26 in the front and 30 rear

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Did it twice in a day a couple of weeks back. Its rocky. With some more rocks chucked in for good measure. And a few more rocks, just in case you thought there weren’t enough.

Maxxis 2.3 Minion Exo TR on the front, standard dual ply HR1 2.35 60A on the back. Both run tubeless.

Also you have the joys of end on slate – cuts tyres (and you) to ribbons, but is quite grippy, and you have face/slabby slate, which has sweet FA grip, especially when wet (and it’s Snowdon, so it will most likely be wet).

tonyd

Tubeless Fat Albert on the front and Nobby Nic on the rear did me OK, but they’re the only tyres I have so they had to!

sideshow
    Free Member

Nobby Nic and Fat Albert, widest version, protection sidewalls: I pinch flatted both if I remember correctly.

Will go 1.5 ply clutch sx next time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The best tyres for Snowdon would be the ones fitted to your MTB for offroad work.
    I honestly cant believe that people change tyres according to where they’re going to ride.
    Ok I can understand different tyres in winter / summer, possibly even woods / hills.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Big tyres will help.

Tubeless would be betterer.

Otherwise just go with what’s on your bike, unless they’re 1.5 Conti XCs.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Highroller 2s and Minions last time I went. Faultless. Just make sure your iPhone is kept warm or the battery will die just before the decent meaning no Strava satisfaction

dirtydog
    Free Member

F 2.5 Minion DHF EXO, R 2.3 Minion DHF ll EXO.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Thanks guys I guess I don’t really need to worry about rolling resistance as it is all exposed rock then Chunky Monkey Front and DHR II 3C Rear would probably make most sense…. Apart from the sidewalls not being as stiff or tough as the Contis.

Maybe I should look for a Dual Ply High Roller II for the trip put it on the rear.

bigyinn – Member
    The best tyres for Snowdon would be the ones fitted to your MTB for offroad work.
    I honestly cant believe that people change tyres according to where they’re going to ride.
    Ok I can understand different tyres in winter / summer, possibly even woods / hills.

Well that is helpful as I only have offroad tyres, however I know some are total shit for some rides yet fantastic for others. I ride quite a lot of different areas in different conditions, so I know it is worth changing tyres.

For example ride Chunky Monkey in the mud and it will just float, ride HD in the Dark Peaks and they will be **** useless. Ride a Chunky Monkey in the wet at the chase then it will be too slow but ride it when fast and dusty then it is fantastic. Minions are a bit of an inter tyre work ok in mud work ok on rock, rail hard pack though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Seriously, unless its muddy any half decent tire will do.
    I quite like my Hans Dampfs for pretty much all the riding I do, except if its really muddy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.