Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for gravel
  • cogglepin

So I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a gravel bike which I will be using for most of my winter riding on the North York Moors area and my local bridalways and tracks.
    What tyres are you guys using?
    It comes with Vittoria revolution G+ Graphene which it says are for light off road use. Whadda ya reckon?

peajay

Mine came with Byways nice and fast but I didn’t have confidence off road cornering so I’ve put on Resolutes, haven’t had a chance to try them yet off road but they look nice and grippy!

hardtailonly

Depends on the balance of off-road / road riding you are likely to do, and how gnarr the gravel is in your neck of the woods! I run WTB Resolute 700 X 42 on my gravel bike which for me is a good balance for on road roll ability and off road capability.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Also running Resolutes 700×42 but really intrigued by the new 700×50 WTB Venture tyres.

scruff
    Free Member

WTB Nanos are good all rounders, plenty of grip in the wet / mulch but dont suck the life from you on tarmac.

hardtailonly

but really intrigued by the new 700×50 WTB Venture tyres.

Ooh. Hadn’t clocked that! Think my frame might struggle for clearance (can get a 700×47 in, but it’s tight at the fork). Also, am guessing it’d not be great in mud?

hollyboni
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with GravelKing SKs (how could you go wrong with a tire named like that?).
    They have more traction everywhere than a slick, but they barely feel any slower. They aren’t super heavy, or super thin and fragile. They are pretty darn durable. They are available in a bunch of sizes, multiple colors, and now even a “Plus” version with a bit more protection.

I’ve ridden mine pretty much everywhere. Pavement, gravel, dirt roads, rocky singletrack etc. Zero issues, love them.

easily
    Free Member

I’d give the Revolutions a try. I’ve been using mine for about 6 months and I like them.

Pros:
    Fast on tarmac
    grippy
    good for ‘fun’ off road stuff
    great on canal paths, dry mud tracks, dry grass, etc.
    no punctures so far, and seem to be wearing ok

Cons:
    useless on wet grass
    quite slippy on wet mud
    silly reflective stripe.

They are not ‘serious’ off road tyres, but for my commute and general messing around I’m very happy. Not a bad tyre to come with your bike.

If you decide not to use them you could bung them my way 🙂

robertpb
    Free Member

I have a 700×40 Nano on the back and a 700×42 Resolute on the front, the Nano on my 23.5mm rims comes up at 43mm and the Resolute 42mm. Even when I had a Nano on the front that was 43mm, the Resolute does have better grip in slosh though.

igm

PX Tempest by any chance?

cogglepin

Thanks for all the replies guys, plenty to go at there. Will have a read up on them and decide.
    I will bear you in mind Easily but I may do as you say and give them a go.
    IGM yes, should have it for later this month, you got one?

igm

Off to build it first week in October.

Also vaguely N Yorks based.

cogglepin

Nice one, should be ace for NYM riding. Hopefully doing the Top of the Rock in October.

cogglepin

Do you think I need to go wider than 35mm guys? Should be ok up to 41mm but when I’m riding from home there will be a bit of road work and don’t want anything too draggy and I’ve found a good deal on some 35mms.

tinribz
    Free Member

Personally I would not go below 42. Have a pair of 49mm on mine and it is like riding a soft tail. Even more noticeable when I take out the other bike with 32mm, chalk and cheese.

If you don’t want draggy get some pathfinders.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for gravel’ is closed to new replies.