Tyres for Glentress

Home Forum Bike Forum Tyres for Glentress

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Tyres for Glentress
  • ojom

this is a troll isn’t it…?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yep 2 is normally required.

cynic-al

Jesus wept.

argoose

Maxxis Advantage?

hora

this is a troll isn’t it…?

I’ve ridden only one trail centre in the last 3yrs.

nealglover

Tyres for Glentress

Most people were using them when I was last there.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Hora, whats currently on the bike?

Use them

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

What mike says.
    Sheesh! had the same tyres on for over a year now. Ridden all types of routes In all conditions. Just ride.

Edric 64

Echo the last two posts .I dont change tyres until they are worn out .I really dont get all this which tyres for …… stuff

hora

Hora, whats currently on the bike?

Swampthings. Great for the Peaks.

kevin1911

Must say I found the What Tyres for STW illustration in the new issue of the mag quite funny. Sums it up nicely

hora

I dont change tyres until they are worn out

The treads on mine aren’t even part worn when I have to bin them. The sideways go first. An annoying feature of Maxxis single ply Ardents/Swampy’s.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Take off the swampies it won’t be that wet, put on whatever you have to hand.

Edric 64

That still counts as worn out .Is it through using them at low pressure they wreck the sidewalls first ?

hora

Loose rocky trails with the wheels sliding down the sides of stones/rocks. I never had sidewall wear when I live/rode in the South East.

I had one flat in a year, boasted about it and now I’ve had 3 in 3 rides 😕

I’d like to run a Larsen on the rear- should be ok????

hora

2xArdents

Or……even if its wet can I get away with a 2.35 Larsen on the rear?????????????????????????

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

I might put my fire xcs back on. My mud x will be too draggy I think*

*haven’t got a clue. Don’t care.

hora

From memory (years ago) the only earthy bit/mud was approaching under trees in Ewok? village

If you want to shred it a GT, you will deffo need the latest triple compound, exo sidewalled, hardcore specific supertyres. Otherwise someone will Strava your ass.

hora

Surely with your jest/thinking one would require a carbon Nomad II or Intense Tracer II with Kashima Fox forks and full Hope colour-matched drivetrain/brakes.

legend

Full body amount and a full facer also required if riding one of those bikes

hora

….and a tricked out T5 in the carpark!

legend

Only if you’ve left the Audi at home

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

Ardents will be spot on for GT, my personal preferance is Ardent rear High Roller or Rubber Queen front.

I’ve used an ardent on the rear at GT and it was really good. Not sure about the front but would imagine that it will be fine.

ittaika

crossmarks work well round GT as well (I only follow the main trails – not sure about off-piste though). i used ardents for years and was happy with them.

mr plow

Larsen on rear works a treat. :mrgreen:

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

2 round black ones work for me.

druidh

I’m currently finding the Hüsker Dü front and rear offers the best GT experience.

fasthaggis

Bit early for snow tyres druidh 😉

druidh

They’re not snow tyres 😆

hora

I was going to say, we don’t need your snowtyres when we have…

MR PLOW!

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

Were Hüsker Dü tyres personally designed by Bob Mould, or Grant Hart? Did one design the front tyre and the other the rear? Was Greg Norton involved?

Hora, I ride at Glentress a lot. I think there’s been two occasions where my tyres caused me problems. One time it was a set of barely-treaded Hutchinsons on a ride when the trails were covered in slush. The second a pair of Continental Gravities tried to kill me, but they did that on any terrain if you didn’t get their pressures exactly right.

All of the main trails at Glentress are solid hardpack and unless there’s snow any tyre will be fine, so you may as well take something that rolls fairly quickly. Some of the off-piste trails are muddier but at this time of year I doubt they’d be bad enough to warrant really affecting your tyre choice.

If it’s wet the main trails don’t get particularly muddy, mostly what you get is a very thin, watery mud that doesn’t affect traction or grip but which can evenly coat a lot of your bike.

patriotpro

I wouldn’t trust an Ardent on the front anywhere there’s a slightly moist bend/turn/corner.

mr plow

I’ve run a Larsen in snow and lived. They are lethal/fun on off camber mud, fine on everything else if you have one to use.

oooh nooo maxxis tyres for glentress = certain death

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Picture the scene…

Me: Yeah, I’ll put smallblocks on both ends, they’re fast as all hell and any tyre works at glentress since it’s all hardpack.
    ChrisL: Lets go and do Secrets and Lies
    Me: Never heard of it, but I’m sure it’ll be fine, after all glentress is all hardpack.

DO NOT TRUST CHRIS L

coffeeking

😀 I only change tyres if they cause me a problem. i.e. in the mud and snow I use mud tyres. In the spring/summer/autumn I use whatever tyre I feel grips well all-round. Do people honestly buy tyres for specific conditions when they’re not racing? I think I’d lose the “feel” for the bike if I changed that often.

seavers

Its pretty easy to get wrapped up in tyre choice, I do it all the time….read loads of reviews and waste loads of time pondering what to get. Before I know it I’m out on a ride, nothing has changed and I could not care less.
    I do like it that people start tyre threads on here even though I haven’t got the balls to do it personally! But when you think that a new set is going to cost maybe £50 and up (unless you find a great deal) I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask what other use. I do however advocate the use of the search function.

mr plow

pah, done secrets and lies, broon trout, ewok fall line etc with larsen on rear and not died and I am pish on the bike…got a minion on the front though lol

hora

I only ride two tyres, ardent or swampthings; 2 ardents, 1 of each etc

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Glentress’ is closed to new replies.