• This topic has 330 replies, 112 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 331 total)
  • Tyred of SUV’s
  • paino

Not sure I condone this behaviour….oh who am I kidding, this is brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-59254298

Providing it’s actual SUVs they target rather than doctors with Landies. I feel I could get on board with these guys, there’s some utter Whoppers round my way that could do with their vehicles being disabled for an hour or 2.

convert

A little bit clunky in it’s approach (is the SUV that does 5000 miles a year because the owner rides/walk for all shorter journeys more evil than the estate that does 20000 inc the half mile round trip school run etc etc ad nauseum) but quite like it in a way.

This was depressing reading but rather predictable – simple truth is most are pro change for a greener future as long as they don’t have to do the hard yards themselves and it’s someone else problem to fix for them. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/07/few-willing-to-change-lifestyle-climate-survey

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They could have a field day roaming round Harrogate. Full of Chelsea Tractors, most of which don’t go up a kerb never mind their intended use.

mashr

Every days a school day, I hadn’t appreciated that the A81 has its own micro-climate

TheDTs
    Free Member

Not very environmentally friendly is it. Going to need four new tyres as many places won’t replace one on a 4×4 due to drivetrain issues with odd worn tyres.

convert

Not very environmentally friendly is it. Going to need four new tyres as many places won’t replace one on a 4×4 due to drivetrain issues with odd worn tyres.

Deflated, not slashed. Just needed pumping back up.

johnners
    Free Member

I hadn’t appreciated that the A81 has its own micro-climate

Just shows what you know, I think you’ll find “Mr MacConnacher, who drives 25 miles to Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire, each day for work, said he needs a large car as he often faces “challenging conditions” on the road in winter”

Do you think these people believe their own fairy stories? FFS man, if you just want a big car because you like them and think having one’s fine because climate change is someone else’s problem then just have the bottle to say so.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Unless you jump in and drive off without realising and bugger them up!

paino

How many SUV drivers even know how to inflate a tyre? They do leave a big daft ‘calling card’ on the windscreen so you don’t just drive off. Although the overriding need to drive the kids the half mile to school probably still takes precedence over 2 flat tyres.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

We’ve got a Grand Cherokee on the drive – anyone fancy slinging some tired stereotypes my way, or coming round and letting the tyres down? Go on, come and find out what the consequences of that would be.

They don’t know the reason those cars are owned. Bunch of pricks. Anyone thinks they have the right to mess with someone else’s property is mistaken, and all they’re going to do is turn people against them.

You want people to stop driving big cars – lobby the government to enforce a mandatory upper emissions limit. Or, how about this – everyone gets an annual CO2 allowance, to be used how you feel. Cycle everywhere but eat emissions-heavy meat, or be vegan and drive a big car. Or cycle and be vegan, but fly abroad for holidays. Much better.

munrobiker
    Free Member

is the SUV that does 5000 miles a year because the owner rides/walk for all shorter journeys more evil than the estate that does 20000 inc the half mile round trip school run etc etc ad nauseu

I’m not sure if you saw some of the figures about this on the thread about Trek’s environmental impact report, but to match the CO2 output of the production of a 4×4 a hatchback would have to do 60,000 miles. So the SUV doing 5000 a year is still terrible.

I thought these tickets were great. If this idiot works in Aberfoyle, why doesn’t he live nearer instead of slap bang in the middle of Glasgow?

Idiotdogbrain- why do you have such a big car? Unless you’re a farmer or similar it’s extremely unlikely you need the size or the off road capability every day. You could rent something bigger as and when you need it.

Almost everyone that needs a car (which, in central Glasgow, is not likely to be many people at all) would manage fine with nothing bigger than a golf with a roof box.

johndoh
    Free Member

most of which don’t go up a kerb never mind their intended use.

Well that’s bollocks – cars park on pavements all over Harrogate (and not just SUVs).

But I agree with the poster above – it’s complete arsehole behaviour – no matter what these people think, they don’t have the right to do shit like that and no-one should condone it.

Drac

How many SUV drivers even know how to inflate a tyre?

Probably just as proportionate as other vehicles. I don’t think driving an suv makes you less knowledgeable on car maintenance.

Vandilsing someone’s car isn’t going to change their mind, it’ll piss them off and hate the cause.

maccruiskeen

everyone gets an annual CO2 allowance, to be used how you feel. Cycle everywhere but eat emissions-heavy meat, or be vegan and drive a big car. Or cycle and be vegan, but fly abroad for holidays. Much better.

Great idea – bagsy I get to be the one who administers it all – I love doing really simple stuff.

anyone fancy slinging some tired stereotypes my way,

You seem to have all those bases covered 🙂

paino

Been told by a mate in the West End of Glasgow this has been happening for a while, mainly just leaving the placards on the ‘offending cars’ rather than actually deflating the tyres. I guess the tyre thing has escalated recently there for obvious reasons.

I dunno, depends on how grumpy I am (it changes on an hourly basis) but if I was to find my van with deflated tyres I wouldn’t be that pissed off, reinflate and carry on. Vandalism in its very loosest sense.

don’t think driving an suv makes you less knowledgeable on car maintenance.

I’d like to wager it is.

revs1972
    Free Member

Well thank **** my forthcoming BMW is a SAV and not a SUV.*

As John Travolta once said “Don’t **** with another mans vehicle. It’s just against the rules” 😉

* and its electric , so hands off

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I thought these tickets were great. If this idiot works in Aberfoyle, why doesn’t he live nearer instead of slap bang in the middle of Glasgow?

How do you, or these knobbers, know that he didn’t used to work near where he lived, but had to take a different job further out and buying a big car and driving was cheaper than the cost and hassle of moving house? Or maybe it’s a temporary contract and he’s only got the car whilst on the contract? You don’t know, and neither do they. You and they are simply being self-righteous and deciding how big a car people should be allowed to drive (here’s a hint, they’ll never say that their own car is too big, no, only other people’s that are bigger than theirs – funny that).

Idiotdogbrain- why do you have such a big car? Unless you’re a farmer or similar it’s extremely unlikely you need the size or the off road capability every day. You could rent something bigger as and when you need it.

Because we wanted it, and there’s no law against it – beyond that, it is (strangely enough) none of your business, is it? We both eat a plant-based diet, don’t take overseas holidays, and don’t have kids – all of which reduce our carbon footprint more than the difference in emissions.

Actually, we have it because we have horses, and have a trailer that needs a tow vehicle with a substantial towing weight, and the GC was the cheapest, most reliable we could get for the money. On several occasions we’ve needed to get one of the horses to the emergency vet hospital near us, and having the facility to do that could be the difference between them living or dying. If we needed to do that and some arsehole had let the tyres down because they had decided that we shouldn’t be allowed to drive it, then they’d be regretting it for the rest of their existence.

You don’t know what reason someone has for having a particular mode of transport, nor do you know whether it might be needed in an emergency.

plus-one

This whole thread is a let down. !

irc

I live pretty much on the direct route between Glasgow and Aberfoyle. You would be lucky if there is one day in 5 years when all season tyres on a front wheel drive car wouldn’t get you there.

Why not just say I like landrovers and it’s my choice?

I plan to fly to the west coast USA next year. For a holiday. And drive a big car a few thousand miles while I’m there. Because I want to.

alpin
    Free Member

We need more of this kinda thing.

Generally I support extinction rebellion’s actions. Would like to join in, but I’ve too much currently to lose. That probably goes for most people.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I plan to fly to the west coast USA next year. For a holiday. And drive a big car a few thousand miles while I’m there. Because I want to.

You bastard.

edit: You lucky bastard.

molgrips
    Free Member

is the SUV that does 5000 miles a year because the owner rides/walk for all shorter journeys more evil than the estate that does 20000 inc the half mile round trip school run etc etc ad nauseum

However few miles you do in your SUV you’d have less of an impact doing it in a smaller more efficient car.

As for winter conditions – they do make these special tyres for snow, and if you really are worried they do make 4×4 normal cars too.

falkirk-mark

To be fair to the guy in the story (and go against all those saying you don’t need an SUV there) how do you know he doesn’t stay 200 yards down a private lane that doesn’t get gritted/ snow cleared. Only mention this as a guy I work with from that area has this particular problem in winter.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

but to match the CO2 output of the production of a 4×4 a hatchback would have to do 60,000 miles.

That is BS since alot of mid sized SUV’s are based on the same platforms as hatchbacks – the BMW X1 for example shares the same platform as a Mini Hatchback and the X3 shares the same platform as a 3 series – they are essentially the same cars. And its the same with VW’s, Audi’s, Fords etc. Modern car production is extremely efficient. The amount of parts that are shared and from common suppliers between different models and manufacturers is very high, and on the same production line you might have an SUV followed by a small hatchback being assembled not to mention sharing the same engines and gearboxes. So the production CO2 sink into a mini vs an X1 is essentially the same.

lmost everyone that needs a car (which, in central Glasgow, is not likely to be many people at all) would manage fine with nothing bigger than a golf with a roof box.

And why assume that everyone who happens to be in Glasgow at any given point in time actually lives in Glasgow? Is it not conceivable that most people will live outside of the city or maybe even just be visiting and might live hundreds of miles away or just passing through? Might be bringing their kid up to university so needed the bigger family car? there are a million and one possible reasons why people might be in Glasgow in a large car at any given time – it might even be a rental car because they only have a small hatchback. This is the problem when you make assumptions about other people, who you don’t know anything about…you’re just not sure if you’re actually hitting the people you’re targeting, but for these people they don’t actually care as the ends justify the means and collateral damage is acceptable. Just as long as they feel better about themselves and have bragging rights down the coconut latte bar regaling people of stories of their adventures saving the planet by inconveniencing a few strangers who they don’t know for ten minutes. The reality is they’re not changing a thing, they’re just pissing people off. It’s nothing more than narcissistic virtue signalling. This global challenge is difficult and demands an intelligent response not gangs of thugs rampaging the streets.

revs1972
    Free Member

STW , the only place where inhabitants piss their pants about owners of SUV’s one day whilst dreaming of owning a VW transporter to ferry their bikes about the next…….😂

batfink
    Free Member

dickheads be dickheading. We’ve randomly, without any information about you or what you use your car for, decided that it is bigger/more expensive than it needs to be, and have therefore vandalized it and left you a condescending note. Staggering arrogance.

“…to raise awareness of…” has a lot to answer for.

The repeated use of the word “luxury” makes me think that maybe this isn’t all about the climate.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks about interfering with a safety aspect of any road going vehicle is completely out of their mind. If any one of these vehicles pulls out, they could get down the road before it becomes obvious that the tires are underinflated. Under inflated tires if not flattened entirely may not be immediately obvious and can still significantly impact vehicle control. This could potentially cause a crash, single car or into another road user (perhaps someone on a bike). Think of the CO2 impact of creating another car or tow replace vehicles which already exist.

You could use the defense that the drivers have been notified in writing but paper flyer in Scottish weather isn’t likely to stay on a windscreen for long.

In climate change it is your own responsibility to do your bit. It is another subject where people love to use the moral high ground to judge others. Messing with peoples property is not a way to win supporters.

As a disclaimer I’m not a fan of SUV’s. I just don’t agree with these actions.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I think that the problem with SUV’s is that they spark off an ‘arms race’ on the roads. Everyone has to be safer than everyone else.

There’s a perception that if you have an accident, then it will be with some prole in an inferior vehicle.

Though, when you see the accident reports from the USA where SUV’s are ubiquitous, they’re still glorified tin cans in a collision…

There’s not enough of this kind of footage in a British context.

Years ago, the govt should have classified them as agricultural vehicles, with speed limits to match.

prettygreenparrot

Deflated, not slashed. Just needed pumping back up.

Not really, once you’ve had 2T of car crushing the side walls the tyre should be replaced.

This is mean-spirited vandalism at best and nothing to be admired.

Rather than target individuals who now have to disrupt their day-to-day with pumping or tyre replacement it would have been better to have spent the time applying pressure to government or campaigning for change.

maccruiskeen

I plan to fly to the west coast USA next year. For a holiday. And drive a big car a few thousand miles while I’m there

Not a problem – as suggested above  I’ve organised a simple impliment CO2 allowance scheme that will allow you to pay for your opulence by offsetting your flight with falafels – I’ll email a spreadsheet to fill out – simply verify with the airline which make and model of jet you’ll flying on, the distance travelled, the percentage occupancy of passengers and cargo and the direction of the prevailing wind and calculate the fuel consumed per ticket on your journey and extrapolate from that the carbon  created – you’ll need to have your figures independently verified and signed by a qualified travel agent, airline pilot, air traffic controller or planespotter,

You can then select from one of my delicious vegan recipe cards and calculate how many vegan meals you need to eat to be able to ‘afford’ your flight. Every day you’ll need to have your coupon stamped by someone behind the till in Holland and Barratt. If three of you have your coupons stamped at the same time the cheapest of you will get stamped for free.

You’lll have to make your whereabouts know at all times  during this period as you’ll be required to submit to random stool sampling by Gillian McKeith and ensure you’re not heavily emitting any meat.

Stamp Gillians coupon

Reduce your post count on STW so that it seems you at least ride a bike sometimes – get Chipps to stamp your coupon

Leave your coupons in my pigeon hole and I’ll get back to you in due course.

mashr

how do you know he doesn’t stay 200 yards down a private lane that doesn’t get gritted/ snow cleared. Only mention this as a guy I work with from that area has this particular problem in winter.

The west end of Glasgow has this problem?

droplinked

Absolutely stupid tactic if you ask me.

All that’s going to to do is piss those owners off and make them more defensive of there choices.

Also, I bet some people on this forum would have a different opinion on the matter if instead of SUVs, they targeted T5s and Octavia estates.

maccruiskeen

how do you know he doesn’t stay 200 yards down a private lane that doesn’t get gritted/ snow cleared.

I stay more that 200 yards down a private road that doesnt get gritted or cleared by anyone other than me or my neighbours on the the estate, we’re at a bit of altitude so get a bit more snow and ice than the surrounding region. The solution is pretty easy – either we clear it sufficiently – which takes about 20 minutes, or if we know the weather is going to be bad I just park my car near to where the roads do get cleared and walk those extra few yards.

It has been an issue requiring any effort or action maybe half a dozen times in the last decade.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What are the emissions of the tow trucks sent to uplift these by breakdown trucks?

If those tires are completely flat with 3ton on them I wouldn’t want to inflate them and go driving.

Ill thought out vandalism if you ask me.

njd187
    Free Member

A T5 is takes up a lot of room and also does more damage to environment than a lot of smaller cars. Does this give the right to anyone who drives a smaller car to do this sort of thing to vans. Not all are business vehicles. Think it’s more about the dislike of the type of driver associated with these type of car. Who decides what size of car is fair game. It’s wrong

matt_outandabout

I’m intrigued by the pharmacist who claims he needs a Land Rover to do his job in Stirlingshire. I’m struggling to think of pharmacies that are off a main road – and the only one that’s affected regularly in winter in Killin and the pharmacist there lives in the village….

munrobiker
    Free Member

I can’t believe that so many people on this thread, after seeing the data on the ticket that SUVs are the second biggest contributor to the rise in emissions and if they were a country they’d be the seventh biggest polluter, are siding with the SUV owner. Even if they’re car based, SUVs use more materials to manufacture, are less aerodynamic, heavier and less efficient. And, in the middle of a climate crisis, people on this thread are saying that they own one simply because they want to??? And that it’s not anyone else’s busines? It is. The climate crisis is everyone’s business and your selfish choices are the problem. Your decision to own an SUV will impact my future.

You don’t need an SUV to tow a horse. My folks use a Volvo estate. You don’t need an SUV in the snow. The Swiss use Subaru and Suzuki hatchbacks with four wheel drive. You don’t need a T5 to move your bikes around once a week. Nor do you need an SUV if you haul stuff to the dump once a month. And you definitely don’t need one in the middle of Glasgow.

molgrips
    Free Member

STW , the only place where inhabitants piss their pants about owners of SUV’s one day whilst dreaming of owning a VW transporter to ferry their bikes about the next…….

It’s not the same people…

intheborders
    Free Member

You bastard.

edit: You lucky bastard.

It’s the US, have you been to the US?

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Car ownership is the problem not 4x4s. The problem is there are too many cars on the road. They are just picking an easy target 4x4s. Funny how defensive and precious some posters are about their vehicles. It’s only a metal box on wheels it’s not your child 😂

Fact is the majority of the cars parked in the west end of Glasgow (or any city/town for that matter) will be used mainly for journeys less than 2 miles. If we could get people out of these cars we would not only reduce CO2 emissions we would also reduce the burden on the NHS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 331 total)

The topic ‘Tyred of SUV’s’ is closed to new replies.