Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyre width questions (gravel bike)
  • littlerob

I’ve been thinking about a Gravel/Adventure type bike. This is partially for my commute which is mostly road, but with a couple of bits of off-road (concrete farm track and gravel/mud section).

I was considering an Arkose, which has max width up to 47mm (I believe) but I’ve been offered a cheaper option which only has a maximum size of 35mm.

So, questions:

1. Is 35mm enough, or is it too close to my roadie (25mm) so as to be not worth the bother?

2. What’s a good 35(ish)mm tyre for mostly tarmac, but with some gravel/field edges thrown in?

Thanks

LR

boxelder

1. 40mm is ideal. Be limited to 35mm and you’ll always wonder.

2. Heavy/bombproof/cheap = Schwalbe Landcruisers. Contis can be had cheap, so I used to use those. No point spending lots on treaded 35mm tyres for what you describe.

kerley
    Free Member

I tried a few different tyre sizes over the summer.  Have ridden 25c on gravel and easy off road stuff for as few years but fancied a change so got a different frameset.  Started off with 43c and it lost the feel and it just felt like a mountain bike.  Went down to 38c and it was a bit better but I ultimately missed the feeling of the narrower tyres.  Now back to the original frame and 25c tyres.

I don’t need the extra comfort from the wider tyres as I don’t ride for hours on end and grip makes no difference on gravel as it is mostly in a straight line.  Saying that if I had to use wider tyres I much preferred 38c to 43c so not always a case of wider the better.

epicyclo

35mm is a right PITA if the surface is any way soft, eg dirt roads after sufficient rain, loose deep gravel.

But a lot depends on the gravel in your area. It can vary from good enough for skinny road tyres to needing mtb tyres.

My preference is as wide a tyre as possible because then all surfaces are ok. Also you get more assured braking which is useful on steep descents because usually the real gnarly stuff has all slid downhill, and is usually accompanied by a bog hole, so it’s best to slow down before you hit it.

joemmo
    Free Member

Is that 35 with or without mudguards? Something you’d want to factor in for a commuting bike.

kerley
    Free Member

But a lot depends on the gravel in your area. It can vary from good enough for skinny road tyres to needing mtb tyres.

Good point.  Where I live it drains so well that even after heavy rain it if still fine of narrow tyres.  I do avoid the muddy singletrack in middle of winter though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyre width questions (gravel bike)’ is closed to new replies.