Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • tyre sizes
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ok my orange bike has 26 x 2.35 size tryes…. mostly i see size 26 x 2.1 on the tinternet…

so whats the difference.. would a 2.1 fit or not….cheers…

mangatank
    Free Member

it depends on what you’re doing. I’m guessing that your bike came with 2.3’s, and that makes sense on a 5 for that whole all-mountain lark. 2.1’s are more cross country. They tend to be lighter and faster rolling, as well as tighter to control. That’s a generalisation though of course. I rode with a set of 2.3’s on my bike at glentress last week and found the ride excellent. This week I completed the same run on 1.95’s and looking back there was little difference in the ride experience. Unless you’re struggling with standover or saddle hight issues, you’d probably best to stick to 2.3’s on the 5. Tyres are damned expensive after all :-/

CountZero

Weight comes into it a lot, as well as rolling resistance. Actual width doesn’t always match marked width, I ride with Bontrager tyres, and the Jones XR’s, at 2.2/2.25 look a lot narrower than the 2.2 ACX’s I have on another bike, and the 2.3 ACX’s on my Inbred 567 look huge, but roll really well, and aren’t silly heavy, wearas a pair of Bonty Big Earls weighed 930gms, and were so slow I used to lose the will to live. A good all-round 2.2/2.3 like the ACX will give you the best compromise between grip/weight/rolling resistance and comfort, as you can run them around 35psi without pinch-flatting if you use tubes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mushrooms
    Free Member

It’s the width in inches,

1.8, 1.95, 2.0, 2.1, 2.35 and a few others and bigger sizes also.

The weight of the tyre is another thing you should look at, 500gm is lightish 800gm plus getting heavy.

Some more info here may help a bit, http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Maxxis-International-Bicycle-FAQs.aspx

spooky_b329

As above, its the width. 2.35 is pretty big so your frame obviously has pretty good tyre clearance.

The thing to remember is this measurement is a very rough guide. Tyres from different manufacturers that are meant to be the same width can vary alot, and also the width of the rim will also affect the shape and width of the tyre.

In mud you want a narrower tyre so your frame doesn’t clog, narrower tyres also generally need more pressure to prevent pinch flats. Silly narrow roadie tyres are 100PSI plus.

Definately watch the weight when looking for new ones…the kevlar beaded versions (folding tyres) are lighter than the cheaper steel bead versions.

jonb
    Free Member

Not all tyres fit all rims. Some lightweight narrow rims (mavic 717) will not take huge fat tyres. Some wide heavy downhill rims will not take narrow tyres (1″ slicks). 2.1-2.3 is the commonest width for mountainbiking so fit nearly every rim. If you can find out what rim it is then you’ll be able to find the exact recommended tyre width range but unless you are fitting 1″ tyres for commuting or 2.7″ tyres for downhill you won’t have a problem.

Chainreaction cycles, wiggle and merlin cycles are my usual online shops for tyres.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘tyre sizes’ is closed to new replies.