Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tyre shop incorrectly fitted TPMS valves and damaged them
  • jairaj

I switched my winter tyres back to summer tyres recently. I got new wheels and new TPMS sensors and old summer tyres. Asked the local tyre shop if they are ok fitting them as they did not supply them, they said yep sure.

Turned out they fitted the valves incorrectly. It’s a clamp on valve stem and they fitted them with the metal washer over the rubber gasket so the rubber gasket could not make a seal with the wheel. Also the valve stem should be fitted first and then the sensor clipped on afterwards. They didn’t do this so now the valve to stem interface is damaged so I can’t just get new valve stems and have to get new TPMS sensors too.

Further more I found out all this once I was 1.5 hours away with seriously deflated tyres and had to pay a nearby garage to replace the TPMS sensors with normal rubber valves. The rubber gaskets where twisted inside the metal washers and damaged and second tyre shop said they would not refit them as they didn’t think it would be safe.

So I thinking I can certainly get a refund on the original fitting fee as they clearly messed up. But can I also ask them to supply new sensors or refund cost of new sensors and also ask for refund for the cost of replacing the sensors for basic valves too?

wiggles
    Free Member

You’d need to get something in writing from the garage that fixed it at minimum and see what they will do from there.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If your contract with the place that fitted them was verbal, you need to somehow get them to confirm it before you show them the damaged TPMS.

I’m also having problems with clamp in valves on TPMS, in my case on my winter wheels. The standard Ford ones on my original wheels have rubber valves and have not been a problem. Two of the clamp in valves leaked when I refitted the wheels for the second winter, and I had to have a mobile fitter replace them. The other two leaked a year later and I bought the valve parts online and had a local place fit them. Now, another year on one is leaking again. The only time I’ve ever had the TPMS tell me about a leak has been when the leak results from having TPMS.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

Thanks for the info guys. I have a receipt from the original fitters, I will check what that says on it.

The second place that fitted standard valves to get me back on the road safely has written on the receipt that the valves were fitted incorrectly. And 3 out 4 valves still have the rubber gasket twisted up and stuck with the metal washer so it’s clear to see what has happened.

Are clamp on valves generally a problem? Not had a problem with them on my on my other wheels. The TMPS valves I have used have exchangeable valve stems so I have the option to use rubber push in stems.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tyre shop incorrectly fitted TPMS valves and damaged them’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts