Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tyre sealant for cars?
  • breninbeener

My daughter has just bought a Civic type-r an fn2 model. It has no spare tyre but a 12v compressor and some Honda TRK terra-s tyre sealant.

This sealant is about 10yrs out of date. Has the world evolved since 2008 and is there a better sealant? Or should i just by the terra-s?

ta11pau1

I’d just buy a space saver wheel for it, looks like they’re an option for that model.

Tyre sealant won’t help if the tyre is shredded, or has pothole damage that has worn through.

I’ve had to use my space saver spare a couple of times in the last 2 years, nail in the sidewall and pothole damage.

the-muffin-man

Yep – buy a space-saver and a scissor jack.

I have a FN2 Type R and mine comes with a space-saver (’07 model).

Good time to check if there is a pond in the boot too! 🙂

jeffl

Couldn’t you get the type-r without aircon as well to save weight.

Reminds me I really must get a space saver for my Octavia.

Any recommendations before I throw myself to the mercy of Google?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Many cars these days don’t have spare wheels. Even some older ones like my Z4 don’t have them. I have a can of foam and a compressor plus AA membership instead!

breninbeener

There is a shallow well that would take a space saver. How does the jack attach to the sill area? ie what interface do i need between jack and car?

Boot is dry!!

the-muffin-man

Theres a little removable cubby-hole cover to the left hand side of the boot (behind wheelarch). That’s where my jack a tools sit.

3rd gear OK!? 🙂

the-muffin-man

ie what interface do i need between jack and car?

Don’t know actually! I’ll figure that out about 2am on a cold wet winter night! 🤣

bigyan
    Free Member

Worth checking if the space saver fits on the front, some dont clear the brakes so you have to swap a rear wheel to the front, and put the space saver on the rear.

There are companies that sell aftermarket spare wheel kits with jacks etc. I worked out what I needed then got a used wheel, jack on ebay. Cox Motor Parts can be an easy way to buy OEM Honda parts online.

breninbeener

Ive seen Cox. They do a wheel and jack etc for about £230. I was hoping to spend a bit less as its having 4 tyres and a clutch….

I hadnt really thought through the space saver not fitting on a F hub. Is that why peoole sell 15 and 16″ space savers.

3rd gear fine. It stops steers and goes quite well really. Id like a std airbox for it….

Its been a bit unloved and now has several issues to resolve at one time….

longdog
    Free Member

Just another+1 for a spare wheel!

My wife torn the side wall on our zafira on a kerb on a bank holiday sunday. She’s pretty handy , but said she couldn’t find the spare anywhere. I ended up going out to her to help and no, I couldn’t find it anywhere just a spare shaped hole under the boot. I’d never even heard of cars not having a spare!

Had to leave the car where it was until a mobile tyre guy could fit us in.

Anyway eBay was my friend for a second hand tray and full size wheel, so I’d have a look ok there.

the-muffin-man

Breninbeener – if you are near Birmingham these people are the dogs bollox for Honda work…

https://www.facebook.com/hondarhq/

breninbeener

Thanks all! I live in N Wales and my daughter is in S Wales. Obvs i cant always be there to bail her out, so making the car and her self sufficient is a top idea. I will find a spacesaver for her, before she comes back to collect it.

lunge

I bought a space saver from here. https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/

timba
    Free Member

Scrapyard. Under-rated places, especially for something like a spare. Grab the jack, tow eye and anything else you need

MarkyG82

Worth checking if the space saver fits on the front, some dont clear the brakes so you have to swap a rear wheel to the front, and put the space saver on the rear.

Always worth swapping the good wheel to the front and SS to the back anyway. Assuming front drive. But then even a rear drive car needs good braking traction on the front.

breninbeener

Thqnks guys. Thats been super helpful.

Scrapyard brings back memories of my childhood in a filthy oil strewn yard, watching my father het some part from a stack of vehicles 5 high!

timba
    Free Member

The only other thing to mention is that some tyre fitters will tell you that sealants ruin the tyre and that it can’t be mended
    Modern sealants don’t ruin the carcase but it will need a good clean, which is more of a pain than just whacking a new tyre on. Find another fitter

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Modern sealants don’t ruin the carcase but it will need a good clean, which is more of a pain than just whacking a new tyre on.

Find another fitter

To be fair, I’m sure they’d do it, but how many people would pay the labor to remove, clean, repair and replace it, when it’s about the same price as a new tyre?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Try the Civinfo forum for a SH space-saving kit. Pretty sure there used to be a discount for Cox through it too

mmannerr

IMHO new sealant bottle should be bought in addition to possible spare wheel, 12 years is too old. Not that it will work anyway.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Scrapyard is the way to go. They will have them ready for you if you tell them the make and size you need. I think we got a spare, jack and wheel brace for £30.

I did this for my son. Threw the wheel brace in the bin and gave him a proper one from my garage. Stood over him in the dark on our driveway and watched him ‘learn’ how to change the wheel. Told him it was easier to learn now than in the pissing rain on a country lane.

I had a blow out on my merc recently. Can of sealant was pointless. Spacesaver would have saved me a day trip PLUS a 4hour wait for a recovery to arrive who then declared i needed a tyre fitter (No shit).

andy5390

Have a look on ebay, they’re around £120 cheaper for my car than a dealer

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.