Tyre Repairs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tyre Repairs
  • Hit something very hard and cut my Dissector – the cut is a straight inch long slice between knobs on the tread part, so needs a wee repair.

I could try a big plug, but thinking a patch of some sort internally might be better, or superglue?

What have you folks done that’s worked well?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Tubeless patch on the tyre.

Out of stock at CRC, but an example

carlos

Always had success with a Mushroom plug (I got few free after asking nicely at the local car tyre repair centre) same as these – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24PCS-Car-Vehicle-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Wired-Mushroom-Plug-Patch/312885743115?hash=item48d9718e0b:g:9GUAAOSwKEtdJaqW

Fitted these to sidewalls and treads. They have always lasted the remaining life of the tyre, be it on a nearly new one or 1/2 worn.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I tried supergluing a big puncture patch to the inside. Didn’t hold. Mushroom plugs were recommended but it was an inch long gash.

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

I’ve always used similar to DezB, if it’s a really big gash then stitch it with dental floss first.

How is the Dissector (apart from the obvious) and what compound have you got?

Dissector’s been really good, just had it on the rear, and had fully expected to swap the DHR2 back long before now, but it’s been to Revolution bike park on a sloppy day, and down loads of local trails, and it’s braked and cornered just fine, haven’t wanted to replace it yet (well, until I tore it). Definitely a better rolling tyre than a DHR 2, and way, way better braking than an Aggressor. It’s the 3C compound.

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

@honourablegeorge thanks, think I may have to invest when the trails dry out a bit.

Premier Icon jpacey
    Subscriber

I had a 1.5cm tear in DD aggressor that sealed well with super glue and then a standard tube patch over laid with a strip of gorilla tape.
    The glue didn’t hold so I wouldn’t bother with that next time but the patch/tape are still going strong with no bulging after a year

Premier Icon wool
    Subscriber

Stitch with dental floss then patch, Super glue outer.

airvent

Thick repair patch on the inside adhered with vulcanising solution, and possibly a plug too for good measure if required.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

An inch long slice? I’m guessing it’s not an inch long all the way through? If it is, in the tread face, then it’s ****ed. You could patch it as an emergency thing but it’s for the bin. If it’s an inch long slice but not all teh way through for the whole inch, then there’s options

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.