Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tyre repair
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Slashed the tyre today, right in the middle of the tread (not the sidewall) so clearly something I’d run over. Cut is about ooh, 1.5cm long? I can just about get my little finger in it if I open it up.

Tubeless repair kits seem to be designed to plug the hole to stop sealant coming out. Is there anything that you can apply to the inside of the tyre to glue it together? I’d like to keep the tyre if possible so something that would bind it back together would seem to be better than simply plugging the hole.

Any experiences or advice beyond the obvious option of a new tyre? I’d rather save the £40 if possible, it’s a nice tyre and not very old.

simondbarnes

Stitch it back together and patch the inside.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any material in mind for the patch?

simondbarnes

Any material in mind for the patch?

I’d just buy an internal tubeless repair kit

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d just buy an internal tubeless repair kit

Recommendations? How good are they with gashes of that size?

RicB

Mushroom plug with some blue vulcanising solution

I’d be tempted to put a few stitches in it too- dental floss or strong cotton.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m worried about the amount of cut fibres. How long do plugs like that last?

Tracey

We have run them for the life of the tyre. Never had one fail. If you don’t want to trust it super glue the cut first and then make a hole in the middle to pull the plug through.

carlos
    Free Member

I’m worried about the amount of cut fibres. How long do plugs like that last?

Lasted the life of the tyre and that was a 10mm slit in the sidewall on a three ride old tyre.

As Tracey says, super glue it together first if you’re unsure

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s good info thanks folks.

molgrips
    Free Member

Found a Stanley knife blade *inside* the tyre!

k1100t
    Free Member

😱

BadlyWiredDog

Found a Stanley knife blade *inside* the tyre!

So something was trapped inside the tyre and cut a hole to escape? That’s kind of spooky 🙂

Highly intelligent mouse maybe?

Woodentop
    Free Member

Stitch it with Dental Floss, stick a patch on it then cover with Loctite 5910 gasket sealant- inside and out.
    Will last the life of tyre and still run fine tubeless.

molgrips
    Free Member

Highly intelligent mouse maybe?

A stanimal perhaps.

I glued a big puncture kit patch on with powerflex superglue, and glued the edges of the cut for good measure. Holding up so far.

molgrips
    Free Member

Uh oh. Bit of a bulge showing today…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tyre repair’ is closed to new replies.