Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyre removal – help!
  • matther01
    Free Member

Put a Crossmark 2.1 LUST on a DT Swiss rim and the bloody thing wont come off. It’s got to the point I’m seriously thinking of cutting it off!

Any tried and tested methods for getting tough tyre off?

I’m using a set of plastic Park Tools levers which are also tearing my hands to shreds.

thepodge
    Free Member

Leave it leant against a radiator for a while

simondbarnes

Are you pushing both beads into the centre of the rim all of the way around first?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Leave it leant against a radiator for a while

which will do the grand sum of naff all!

you’ll have a warm, hard to get off tyre!

matt_outandabout

Are you pushing both beads into the centre of the rim all of the way around first?

This, plus the grip of death to pull tyre off to one side before using tyre levers.

mav12
    Free Member

fairy liquid

dannyh
    Free Member

DT Swiss rims area freaking nightmare. Never use contis with them. You need to carry three levers for trailside repairs.

Advice, squeeze bead to middle all round, pull the tyre down on both sides towards the ground. Use three levers. One in and hooked onto a spoke, then put the second one in and hook around a spoke. Then put the third one in right next to the second and bend round to hook spoke. The second lever should then be loose. Take it out and put along from the third in the same way. If you keep working them around like this you’ll get there. Washing up liquid if necessary.

I’ve broken park tools levers on DT rims, though, they are absolute bastards to get tyres on and off!

matther01
    Free Member

Cheers folks…I’ll try tomorrow when my mood is a bit less irate.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just given this advice on another thread- break both beads all the way round, push the bead right into the well of the rim opposite the valve, and work it into the well in both directions to create the maximum slack at the valve, where you should start tyre removal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyre removal – help!’ is closed to new replies.