Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyre recommendations…………sorry
  • beaney
    Free Member

Hi all

Have a pair of pulse pro which came on crossmax wheels – never really liked them, and one split yesterday,
    so I’ve now got the opportunity to replace them.

Sorry to ask the impossible, but what are the current favourite XC tyres?

Looking for something that’ll stay on all year, I won’t be doing anything too burly, and have a few very long rides planned (75miles+ which is very long for me) in the summer so they have to roll well!

Seen a lot of Maxxis tyres about (aspen and aspen race) but not sure if they’ve taken over from Schwalbe?

Thanks in advance.

qwerty
    Free Member

Vittoria – Barzo could be worth a look.

WTB – Trail Boss front, Riddler rear

I’ve used both combos for long rides.

Or you could mix it up and go Trail Boss front Barzo rear, or, Barzo front Riddler rear.

I’d probably just opt for the Barzos.

windyg
    Free Member

MSC Roller or Rock & Roller

Trimix
    Free Member

Keep it simple, just look at what Maxxis offer and pick one of their XC tyres. You wont pick a bad one. There are so many variables, but overall they have a wide range of good tyres.

mattyfez

I’m still on schwalbe, Ron front ralph back.

The ralph slips a bit in mud or slimey stone but it’s a decent all year round combo, Jack of all trades /master of none.

Trimix
    Free Member

See, you have started it now. For me Rons and Ralphs are what I call death tyres. Every time I’ve used them they try and kill me on each corner:)

But then I suppose I dont ride XC like a XC rider would. I’m more way too fast in, panic brake and then slide round or fall off.

nickdavies

X king front race king rear, if you actually want xc tyres.

ratherbeintobago

Depends if you mean XC racing or cross country bimbling.

I’m happy with a Mountain King (II) 2.2 and X-King/Cross King 2.2 combo for most conditions, only thing to watch is slightly weepy sidewalls.

beaney
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll have a look at those recommended.

Trimix, you and I sound like we have very similar styles of riding!

Certainly no racer, but riding more and more, and looking forward to some nice adventures this year. The x king is something I hadn’t thought of and will compare with the others, although weepy sidewalks might be a bit of a faff.

Thanks again.

si77

The Barzo has a very similar tread pattern to the x king, and I’ve never had a problem with weeping sidewalls on 3 different Vittoria tyres (all with anthracite sidewalls).

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you expect to be riding in the wet at all? I only used the X King for XC racing. Liked it in the dry but it was a right handful when course was greasy.

I have a Maxxis Crossmark 2 exo 2.25in on the rear for my XC needs, which I’m quite happy with.

Mavic Quest 2.3 on the front, seems OK so far but only had one ride.

ratherbeintobago

@beaney Seems to vary from tyre to tyre; always settles with an extra dose of sealant. Don’t know if it’s better with Conti’s own stuff, I’ve only ever used Stan’s or Orange Seal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyre recommendations…………sorry’ is closed to new replies.