Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tyre question (sorry)…experiences of Hans Dampf's
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Now that I have finally got a proper set of UST wheels I am going to give tubeless a proper go.

Currently I run either a Maxxis Super Tacky Minion or High Roller on the front and a 60a High Roller on the rear. Both are 2.35 single ply DH which are not available in proper UST format and as they have been used, I’m not convinced that they’ll seal properly.

I was therefore thinking of trying a set of Schwable Hans Dampf’s…Trailstar on the front Pacestar on the rear. Both are tubeless ready and a bit lighter than my current tyres.

Just wondering what peoples experiences of them are…a few people complain that they drag a lot. How do they compare to High Rollers?

Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

Both are 2.35 single ply DH

Not sure what that bit means, but give them a go tubeless.

Normal 1-ply Maxxis tyres have always worked well for me – wire or folding bead.

Paceman
    Free Member

Big volume and very grippy, rolled fine for me for a tyre of that size. Had clearance issues though up front with my RS Reba’s, no problems other than that though. Worked well in recent mud and snow, and remained competely puncture free despite being run at pretty low pressure. Used in their 29er guise.

dmw536
    Free Member

I have a high roller on the rear and hans on the front (previously high rollers both ends)
    The hans does drag more but grips much better in the wet probably in the dry also but not ridden much dry stuff recently. Make sure you have plenty of clearance as the 2.35 hans looks more like a 2.5 compared to a high roller 2.35. It’s huge. Hence I still have a high roller on the rear as the hans wouldn’t fit!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers chaps…clearace isn’t an issue. The Maxxis 2.35’s look a bit lost if I’m honest (SX Trail with 36’s).

I’ve just ordered some sealant from JRA, so will see if I can get then to work.

The Hans Damf’s appeal because they”ll help shed a bit of rolling weight. I want something that works in all conditions because I’m lazy and never change my tyres until they’re knackered. They’re also cheap from Bike Discount too.

Milkie
    Free Member

As above… Also when you do get them sliding, they are more controllable as there is no transition/loss of grip between the side lugs.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got hans dampfs set up tubeless on my Mojo HD.

They’re fitted to DT ex5.1 d rims, and I’m using a stans no tubes kit.

They work nicely, no punctures/issues since I switched to tubeless about 9 months ago.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the Schwalbe Fat Albert. Not as big as the Hand Dampf but I have run them all winter and found them to be excellent in the wet and dry. Not bad on the road too. You can get them in proper UST as well which I would definitely do if you have UST rims. I run without sealant and have no problems.
    Andy

mindmap3
    Free Member

For the sake of sixty quid I’ll give then a go. That’s how much another set imof Maxxis would cost.

Not sure I’d be willing to take a pint at UK prices.

Juliana, how do you find they roll?

munrobiker
    Free Member

How do they feel compared to a High ROller? I use HRs now with the LUST casing but munch through sidewalls like sweets- they pinch flat very easy, and I had no bother with Schwalbes but none of their treads were as good.

daveb
    Free Member

I bought them recently, really like them. A bit draggier than the Nobby Nics they replaced but that was completely expected, far better on the descents and gave my loads of confidence through the corners.

Northwind

Haven’t seen any bad reports of these, which is weird, usually on the internet you can find at least one person who hates something.

But there’s no reason to think your Maxxi won’t work, used tyres generally work fine tubeless and Maxxis work better than most in non-UST- quite a lot of rubber in them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I tried some over the Maxxis EXO Minion DHF/Ardent setup I had. The only benefit the HD’s had was they rolled a bit quicker.

Less grip in nearly all situations, significantly less in some. But then you only have to put it next to a Minion to see why.

Funnily enough when I had them on the bike, everyone who rode it commented on how bad the tyres felt.

I run my Maxxis tubeless, they go up just as easy as any TLR tyre I have used.

Ringo
    Free Member

They clog up quickly in the mud

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I was therefore thinking of trying a set of Schwable Hans Dampf’s…Trailstar on the front Pacestar on the rear. Both are tubeless ready and a bit lighter than my current tyres.

After faffing with non-tubeless tyres I got a set of these on my Flow EX rims. Popped up straight away, hardly lost any pressure in 2 months, amazing.

As for the ride, very impressed. Big volume, grippy and first ride out I was quicker both up and down some big hills in the Peak District (according to the rough estimating tool that is Strava) despite tyres being heavier.

Have run Advantages and Rubber Queen 2.2 before.

So far I like them.

mactheknife

Has anyone run Pacestar on the front? i have one in the garage i bought new from a mate.just wondering about grip compared to trailstar

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I run pace star 2.35 front and back as i hate pedalling on sticky tyres. No problems. Corner feel very different from Maxxis you have to be more progressive and not just lean and shove or they will drop you. Just tubelessed them on Stans using a mini pump ie very easily. Like

discapade
    Free Member

I’ve run mine, trailstar/pacestar set up all winter, I love the big profile and they drag a bit more than nobbys…but yeah I like em…!

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’re now out of stock, but should be available tomorrow so I’ll get a set ordered.

Having done a bit more research, most people are pretty positive about them, just complaining that they drag a bit but without saying compared to what.

discapade
    Free Member

My comparison was with rubber queen BC

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    I tried some over the Maxxis EXO Minion DHF/Ardent setup I had.

What sizes are you on F&R with those, HN?

I keep meaning to give Maxxis tyres a go….. 🙂

chris_db
    Free Member

I have 2.35 HDs on my full suss and hard tail. Running tubeless on Flows.

I have tried many tyres over the years but I really like them. They really do just about everything well. Sure, they can clog in araldite but they soon clear. Great grip right across the profile, no punctures in 18 momths (that will have blown it!) and they are a good price on bike-discount.de

I have tried the Trailstar compound but it’s too soft – the knobs damage easily. I just use the Pacestar version, no discernable difference in grip and no knob damage (sic)…!

Recommended.

Chris

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What sizes are you on F&R with those, HN?
    I keep meaning to give Maxxis tyres a go…..

2.5 Minion front 2.25 Ardent on the back.

I’ll use that for all the UK Enduro races as well, but probably throw a 2.5 on the back for the Euro stuff

sandal100

I use a trailstar hans dampf on the front with a 2.25 nobby nic pacestar on the rear. I also have a hans dampf pacestar in the garage. The hans has quite a bit more drag than the nobby. As a pairing, hans/nobby, they work quite well! Lots of front end grip with a faster rolling rear. That’s on a Tracer 2, both snake skin, both tubeless on crossmax st’s.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’d be interested in a comparison between these and the chunky monkey

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member

2.5 Minion front 2.25 Ardent on the back.

I’ll use that for all the UK Enduro races as well, but probably throw a 2.5 on the back for the Euro stuff

Might give that a try – that said, I’ve been very happy with HDs, best tyre I’ve used. Not sure the Ardent will have the uphill traction I need around these parts.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sandal, that’s interesting. I thought about the Nobby because they seem quite popular on here but thought that they may be a little light weight.

IA

Not read all the above, but your single ply maxxis will tubeless fine.

sandal100

Sandal, that’s interesting. I thought about the Nobby because they seem quite popular on here but thought that they may be a little light weight.

The nobby out back is a bit skinnier than the HD but I use my bike for everything, hence why I got the snakeskin version for a bit of added puncture resistance. I tend not to buy tyres on how much they weigh! I am doing the gravity enduros at Innerleithen and hamsterley and am thinking of going to HD/HD for that as I imagine it will take place on a few of the dh tracks but for general xc/trail centrs type stuff HD/NN is better in my opinion!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers chaps.

I’ve ordered a set of Hans Dampf’s so hopefully they’ll be here soon. I’m used to quite draggy tyres so think I’ll be ok. Once they arrive I’ll go tubeless. They current High Rollers on the BFe are looking a bit knackered, so I’ll pop the tyres from the SX onto that.

Looking forward to giving them a go after the good things I’ve read about them.

twang
    Free Member

I love my Hans Dampfs
    They’re a fantastic tyre on everything but mud………..true story

mrelectric

Just moved from NNic & Fatal Bert that came on my Nerve AM to new NNic and Trailstar HD, so much as sandal00. Really cool then, though not done too many slippery bits yet.
    It was impossible to get them to sit on the rim on tubeless until I cleaned all the old jiz off, reseated Stan’s rim strip and then stretched them up with a tube (any old rim seems to do). They were well floppy before that, doh!
    Used that Screwfix 7L pump to get the volume of air in; better than my car tyre compressor. Since then, all great with Stan’s.

soulboy
    Free Member

Dampf Trailstar front with Nic 2.25 Pacestar rear on my Whyte 146, both Snakeskin and Tubeless Ready, running tubeless with Stan’s. Excellent combination: pretty fast rolling, puncture resistant and very confidence-inspiring. Can’t fault HD really except for clogging with sticky mud.

sandal100

Mine went on my crossmax with nothing more than a track pump, didn’t fairy liquid the side walls the second time either! Easiest tyres I’ve put on tubeless!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Hans Dampf on the front of my Hardtail and full suss for a while now. I’ve been using the trailstar ones for grip through the wet conditions of the past 11 months or so. It has good tread, a decent squarish edge, sidewalls that are just right for tubeless(snakeskin) and are super easy to tubeless. Grip is excellent although not quite as point and shoot as the fat Albert in trailstar. Irrespective of whether they clog or not, both the fat Albert and Hans Dampf seem to actually grip anyway. My only criticism of them is they’re a bit heavier than I’d like.

I’d agree about trailstar compound being very soft. My fat Albert was never the same after one day of rocky beating at CYB, where we hit everything really hard. The Hans Dampf in trailstar seems more resistant to tearing, probably because the knobs are bigger and better fixed to the tyre carcass. It’s the best tyre I’ve found to balance out most of my demands so far. The last thing that came close before the dampfs was the BC rubber queens, but their sidewalls weren’t good enough, and the UST was too heavy. I found Nobby Nics to be rather too fragile for my riding too.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Not sure how maxxis compare but I’m running my HD tubeless and I put in a LOT less pressure than other tyres i’ve used before; presumably because of the stiff sidewalls. I’ve got about 22psi in the front, 25 rear and I could probably go lower.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tyre question (sorry)…experiences of Hans Dampf's’ is closed to new replies.