Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tyre pressures and a hard tail
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

What are people running there hardtails at.
    I was at cwmcarn today and the ride was terrible ive been messing with tyre pressures and couldnt believe how much of a difference it made to have them soft like 28psi even bounced the chain off on the final decent.
    So what do you run yours at?

andybanks
    Free Member

40 typically but going to drop to 35 as its too harsh

ian martin
    Free Member

I think a good starting point for regular trail riding is 30psi front & 35psi rear.
    Though I’m running more like 25psi front & 30psi rear which is a bit less bouncy on rocky descents.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pointless question

souldrummer
    Free Member

I run front and back at 30psi, Ardent and Advantage respectively. Tried them at 2 bar which is recommended and is a bit harder but really didn’t like it. Used to run Nevegals at 30psi and they were great at that pressure. But, for what its worth, I also find the back end of my Dialled Alpine softer than that of my Soul.

boxfish
    Free Member

35ish rear, 30ish front

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

25 front and rear.

I run front and back at 30psi, Ardent and Advantage respectively. Tried them at 2 bar which is recommended and is a bit harder but really didn’t like it.

2bar = 29psi (i.e the same seeing as most pumps are only in 5psi intervals)

souldrummer
    Free Member

My fault; 2.5 bar is recommended; hence harder. Knew I should have concentrated more during maths lessons; not that we used bars as a pressure measure when I was at school!!

chiefgrooveguru

I run front and back at 30psi, Ardent and Advantage respectively. Tried them at 2 bar which is recommended and is a bit harder but really didn’t like it.

2 bar = 29 psi

The right pressure is higher with:

Heavier rider
    Greater cornering forces
    Smaller tyre (narrower and/or smaller diameter)
    More flexible carcass
    Narrower rim
    Less tough tube (or tube vs tubeless)

iamroughrider
    Free Member

at cwmcarn dh on a ht dual ply tyres and dh tubes about 15 to 20 psi iirc.

seizednuts
    Free Member

So the pressure is about right what tyre widths are you using?
    Im running michelin wild grippers 2.2.
    might go dowm to 2.1 at the same pressure.

parkesie
    Free Member

About this soft (makes that pinching motion with thumb and forefinger).

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said

gears_suck
    Free Member

Oo oo, I have a question. What gear do you think I should use to get up a hill?

boxfish
    Free Member

I_Ache
    Free Member

I use about 36psi on 2.35 maxxis and I’m about 16st kitted up.

I have had to use loads more than that on the likes of mountain kings as the sidewalls are so thin.

mattjg
    Free Member

like an orange not like an apple

many of the pressures here seem very high to me: 20ish back a tad less front

run as low as you can get away with

darrell
    Free Member

for racing 35psi front and rear

for trail riding a lot less

matther01
    Free Member

25 front Hans Dampf 28 Purgatory rear…relatively light at 12.5st on a Soul

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

OP, perfectly acceptable question… i ragged my 29er hardtail around coedy’s beast today, believe me it was testing,…

i had around 28 in the front and nearer 35 on the back, it was pinging around on the back, could have run less, but there is a lot of fireroad climbing on the beast, the front was perfect.

seadog101

Hmm, A bit squishy, but not overly so. And a wee bit more hard up the back.. 😕

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mattjg you must be properly skinny or use dual ply tyres. Last time I tried pressures that low it was tubeless and I pulled the tyre of the rim cornering.

Random
    Free Member

Obvious but you need to work out your snake-bite threshold for your tyres – body weight, riding style etc by actually puncturing a few times. Then decide on the day how lucky you are feeling…
    For me, on my local riding I run 20psi front, 22 psi back – 2.4 tyres, 57kg rider, baby-head rocky terrain. That seems to leave me with around a 1-in-10 chance of a puncture on lines that I know well.

johnhe

I run about 30 on the front and25 on the back on 2.35 tyres. Any more than that and I feel like I’m pinging off rocks. Any less and I might get pinch flats.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends on weight on each tyre, tyre widths and volumes, terrain, whether tubeless or not, and finally rider preference.

Using the 15% carcass sag method (discounting tread block height) is a good starting point to work from.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i cannot tell who is taking the piss and who means it
    Excellent work 8)

somafunk

On my mtb hardtail frame converted into a ss roadbike i run 110psi but they are Hutchinson 1″ slicks so i guess that doesn’t help you in the slightest, on my mtb hardtail i run between 18psi and 25psi depending on where i’m riding and what the surface is like, that prob won’t help you much either as you didn’t ask about rider weight, riding style, rim choice, front suspension or rigid, tyre choice, trail type etc..etc.

70kg
    Relatively aggressive on the front end to get it to dig in but i generally ride light and i’m not bothered bout getting air or collecting G’narr rad points
    Stans Crest rim
    Talas 110mm/140mm fork
    26″ 2.35 Hans Dampf Trailstar on front (tubeless)
    26″ 2.25 Racing Ralph Pacestar on rear (tubeless)
    Mix of natural rootfest/rocky forestry descents and occasional surfaced trail centres but mostly just bimbling out in the galloway hills.

drofluf
    Free Member

Depending on the bike and conditions I find that the sweet spot is somewhere between 8 and 100psi.

Hope this helps 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A few mm of deflection from the obligatory thumb push.

jacob46
    Free Member

Sum **** on here

_tom_
    Free Member

I actually have no idea what pressure my mtb tyres are at. I just pump them up til they feel about right by squishing them with my hand.

johnhe

I find threads like this interesting. I always ran around 40-45psi until I read a thread like this which opened my eyes to the fact that it was possible to run much lower pressures.

Nowadays, I can’t imagine running higher than 30psi, unless I’m going to be covering a lot of ground on tarmac. There is such a difference in the amount of braking and climbing traction at 25-30psi.

Also, on a hardtail, running a large tyre at 25psi feels so much nicer than a 40psi 2.1 tyre.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressures and a hard tail’ is closed to new replies.