tyre pressures.

Home Forum Bike Forum tyre pressures.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • tyre pressures.
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

drop it to 30.

if you get pinch punctures then pump them back up a bit.

best bet is to experiment and find what works for you really. Maybe slightly higher at the back if you have a hardtail, for example.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

180lbs

With tubes I was running 28 front, 30 rear

Now on tubeless I’m 22 front, 25 rear

bokonon

Does your pump give you an accurate pressure?

I know what numbers I put in from my pump – but actually I know for a fact that these are not the pressures in my tyres (because it would be nonsense for them to be those actual numbers.)

tonup

Pumps not very accurate to be honest !. Measures every 5 psi

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

It’s more about a comparative thing.

“It feels right when my pump says *this much*” and then you know what to put in there in future – it’s not about getting it right to the nearest 1psi.

tonup

Right.
    Done a google search and it appears there are too many variables for a set in stone answer.
    Heres how my profile stacks up.
    Can anyone shed some light cos i ant got a scooby ?

Im 11 and a half stone.
    Running 2.4 continental mountain kings (26)
    And gunna be riding mixed terrain.
    Not much road work.
    Mostly muddy trails and the odd towpath !

Got em ramped up at 35 psi at the moment as suggested by my neighbour who mostly rides to work ?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Big variation between pumps too, 5psi on my joe blow is about 10 psi on my air tower.

If you want to just be good enough, then it’s dead easy, fire in 35-40psi and get on with it. But if you want the best (for you) then there’s no alternative but experimenting, which will mean some flats, but worth doing anyway.

I run mid-low 20s, because I can and I like it, and every so often I put a dent in a rim that looks like it’s been hit with an axe 😉 Pros and cons eh.

Like what northwind says. Used to run 28Fr and 30rr on 26in wheels, tubeless.

now run 24fr and 26rr on tubess 29in wheels.

I’ve been running lower than that recently, but I’ve been paying the price with snabites and rim damage.

MarkLG

I’m your sort of weight and around 28psi, maybe a bit less in the front. (Tubeless)

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

More like an orange than an apple when you squeeze them.

campkoala

I find oranges fold when cornered hard

emac65

I go by how far I can push the knobbles in to the tyre with my thumb.It’s a measured amount of pressure I use…Of course as I’ve worked in hefty manual work for over 30 years my hand grip may well be a bit more than your average desk jockeys is….. 8)

DanW

My track pump gives pressure readings that are way off but being a bit OCD a cheap pressure gauge from Halfords helps keep things consistent.

Same weight as you riding XC (i.e. riding anything and everywhere) and with tubes I would run 28psi front 32psi rear (as much as I could get away with without pinch flats) and drop that a bit more when running tubeless to around 26psi front 29psi rear. Probably could go lower tubeless but it starts to feel a bit “vague” on narrowish XC rims if I drop it any more.

Get the right tool to measure your tyre pressure repeatably then start experimenting 😀

Mantastic

I ride between 6psi to 10 depending on the terrain

With tubeless, twice your weight in stone, minus one for the front, plus two for the back is a good starting point. Bigger tyres, wider rims and wet conditions (so less ultimate cornering force) allow you to go lower before you get annoying squirm or burping. If you’re smooth and it’s not too rocky this is a decent starting point for tubes too but you may pinch flat and have to go higher.

metruscan

Er, doesn’t this depend on the bike as well, ie rigid or suspension, wheel size and all that crap? If they squirm about, they are too flat, if you ping off every bump and rock and feel like you will die on every bend, well, they are too hard. If it feels good, go with it. As said already, gauges can be inaccurate. Use the same pump all the time if you can, so even if the psi gauge is wrong, at least you will be consistent!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

chiefgrooveguru – Member

With tubeless, twice your weight in stone, minus one for the front, plus two for the back is a good starting point.

Hell with that! Can’t see that working for many people tbh.

tonup

ME HEADS A CONKER TREE ! 😕 🙄

Junkyard

I cannot believe you folk actually know this/do this to this degree.

I do the squeeze with thumbs and it feels right I ride.

Might check them all later i bet there is some serious variance.

Road bike 120 psi but that is not helpful here is it.

DanW

It is helpful to know the rough pressure to avoid unnecessarily sliding all over the place or be constantly pinch flatting/ denting rims 😉

Basic advice for the OP would be to experiment and make sure you are consistently measuring tyre pressure (i.e. consistent even if “wrong” readings) and experiment to find a middle ground that sits between the 2 conditions in the first paragraph

Hell with that! Can’t see that working for many people tbh.

That’s what Stan’s recommend so it’s not just me that finds it useful! But I do prefer wider rims and larger volume tyres – and all my pumps and gauges agree with each other. I can detect 10% variance easily – I don’t know if that’s a useful skill or just a hassle because I now check my pressures before most rides so I don’t end up fiddling mid-ride…

The thumb test is useful too but it’s deceptive as stiffer carcasses feel harder to the thumb than they do when riding – yes you can run lower pressures with tyres like that but not to the degree your thumb thinks!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

That’s for their own tyres, xc race kit designed to run at low pressure. If I put 19psi in a front tyre and tried to ride normally I’d not get far, nor would most 15 stone riders with sub-30psi.

3dvgirl

squashy but not to soft pressure

I think most riders run way too high pressures – just look at the psi pro enduro riders are running! Are you generating that much cornering force or running your suspension that hard?

Having just tweaked the pressures on a a Rubber Queen 2.2 UST and Butcher Control 2.3 this evening it was interesting to note how much firmer the 2.2 UST felt at equal pressure because the carcass is quite a bit bigger (despite the 2.2 vs 2.3 nominal widths) and the sidewalls stronger and thicker.

tonup

WHAT HAVE I STARTED !!! LOL
    😆

Junkyard

Not sure tbh as my Remkompressor [spell] gauge is not very graduated and barely moving. I guess [ assuming its accurate] thats about 10 psi or 1 psi per stone

I almost never puncture and only pinch flat if i proper mess up something.
    Thats not tubless either.
    that seems implausibly low I assume but its the only gauge I have

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘tyre pressures.’ is closed to new replies.