Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tyre inserts and suspension changes
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi everyone!

I’ve been using an insert in my rear tyre for a few years now, huck norris first then a rimpact. Puncture protection solely. I have recently installed rimpact pro in the front tyre, gave it a test run on tuesday.  2.5 assegai maxxgrip DH.  (will probably try a lighter tyre when this one wears out but i am usually DH tyres or go home, probably with a puncture)

Anyhows, i inflated till 22psi. The grip felt great, but it was and has been dry here for a while. What i did notice however was that it felt more ‘fatiguing’ and the fork felt spikier. Like the first intitial grip was great and supple, then i presume when the trail features reached the insert it was harsher, if that makes sense?  Perhaps rebound from the insert itself?

Have you changed fork settings when using an insert?  ta!

diggery
    Free Member

If anything I noticed the opposite, a more planted and damped feeling with chatter and buzz taken out and a bit of extra cushion feel. That’s when similar pressures but Exo sidewall.

Interesting you have the tougher Pro in the front. I was looking at a Pro for the rear. Could you swap front to back and see if that is noticeable?

happybiker
    Free Member

Not changed suspension settings but I run a couple of psi less in my tyres with inserts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

would rather not swap as i’ve paid for pro and the old one in rear is due for a chnage tbh

continuity
    Free Member

Just put the pro in the rear and run the front without.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sure why didnt  i think of that. 🤦🏻‍♂️

ta11pau1

Are you using the same pressure as you were without the insert? I tend to run a few psi less than I would without an insert, the insert essentially increases the progression of the tyre ‘suspension’ in that there’s less air volume and there’s the foam that will be firmer than the air it replaces.

I’d start with dropping pressure and playing around with that – unless you’re a hard rider who goes fast all the time you can probably run sub 20 psi on the front. Then you may have to reduce your high speed compression a click or 2 (presuming it’s the medium to bigger hits that you’re feeling). Lower pressure should reduce the smaller chatter coming through though.

I’m on about 17psi on a 2.6 mazza up front with a standard rimpact.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ok cheers wow that low psi, will give it a go!

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

As above, reduced tyre pressures for me, Im a heavy rider at 95ish kilos, was running 25 front and rear without inserts, with rimpact fitted (pro rear, normal front) i run around 20.

Feels great, great grip and takes out some of the trail “chatter”

clubby

Definitely know the feeling you are talking about. It’s mentioned in the Pink Bike insert review as well.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-6-best-tire-inserts-2021-ridden-rated.html#rimpact

Took them out and the feeling went away, but so did the damped, planted, supported feeling. Put them back in after a few weeks. Tyre pressures definitely benefit from bring a couple of psi lower than you’d usually run. Also sped up rebound at both ends by a click and took off a two clicks of HSC off the fork. Maybe just got used to them after time.
    For what it’s worth, when it came to choosing inserts for my ebike I went with them again.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@clubby thanks for that, hadn’t seen the pinkbike review, that is exactly what i mean!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.