Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyre insert or Tougher tyre?
  • Bigmantrials

I have been thinking what the best way would be to go, the additional weight over my current setup is about equal and now with the Nukeproof ARD insert being around £50 the cost to upgrade to either is the same.

Current setup is a Butcher Grid on the rear but find it lacking support, I seem to be quite lucky with regards to punctures and don’t suffer very often.

I have been thinking something like the new Blck dmnd casing or double down.

stevied
    Free Member

I ran a Tomahawk in DD for a while on the rocky stuff in Malvern. No issues with pinch flats etc @ 25psi on the back.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve been using DoubleDown in the rear for a while and it’s been really durable – much more so than the Spesh Grid Tyres I ran previously.

mark90
    Free Member

The Rimpact tyre inserts are even cheaper the Nukeproof ones.

https://www.rimpactmtb.com

Kahurangi

Whats’ the right solution? What’s your problem? Ripping the tyres or trashing the rims?

If the £50 is burning a hole in your pocket, then I’m sure I can provide some snake oil 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

as jon taylor says what is the issue? sidewall support is diff. to punctures.

i was suffering from pinch punctures tubeless with a exo maxxis ion the rear, went with DD and its gone. support was never a problem with a 2.3

Bigmantrials

I think its support that I am looking for really, I don’t like rock solid tyre pressures but at the pressures I prefer I find the standard Grid tyres can feel a little unstable.

Tracey

Our daughter competes and has been using Butcher Grid front and rear for as long as I can remember. When they changed the compound to Gripton which has a softer sidewall she wasn’t happy with the performance or durability of the sidewall.  We bought Minion EXO front and rear but managed to get some of the Blck Dmnd Butchers in June so fitted them 2.6 front 2.3 rear and put the Minions on her spare bike.

Managed to ride them both on the same trails throughout the summer in all conditions with the same pressures 22 front 24 rear and the new Butchers have been great.

She came home from Uni for a couple of hours on Sunday and brought the wheels from the spare bike with her complaining that the sidewalls on the Minions were flexing so has gone back with a 2.6 Blck Dmnd Butcher on the front and a 2.3 Blck Dmnd Eliminator on the rear. I didn’t have a problem with the Minions but I dont ride like her

I was having the same sidewall problems with the 2.8 Butcher on the rear of the Ebike so have gone for the 2.8 Blck Dmnd which seems to have solved it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyre insert or Tougher tyre?’ is closed to new replies.