Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tyre insert/defender/procore for 700×42 gravel bike
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

I picked up a Whyte Gisburn earlier this year, loads of fun and been amazed with what you can get it down with a bit of commitment. The more I ride it the more it gets treated like a sketchy, terrifying xc mountain bike.

I’ve found the weak point has been the tyres it came on so have picked up some bigger (42) WTB Resolutes, hoping this will help a bit with grip would also like a bit of puncture protection/support if possible as I’m having to run 40+ psi. Is anyone using anything on a similar sized tyre?

aP
    Free Member

Learn to ride light.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Reading not your strong point? 😆

kerley
    Free Member

Learn to ride light.

Agree.

dawson

Accept that you have found the limit of what it is designed for and ride an mtb for rougher terrain?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Helpful as always.

More than capable of “riding light” thanks, just looking for a way of improving the weakest link on a bike that maybe isn’t being used for its intended purpose.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Where’s the fun in that though? 😉

Speshpaul

**** me the gravel bike grumpies are out in force.
    Have a look for the DIY Crushcore thread, been looking for a similar thing my self.
    Edit Huck Norris not crush core

Source for Closed Cell Foam – for Homemade Huck Norris

epicyclo

SpeshPaul
    **** me the gravel bike grumpies are out in force…

Standard STW type reply.

But there’s usually a nugget in amongst them. 🙂

The OP’s problem illustrates the problem with “gravel” in this country.

Our gravel roads are rarely groomed and graded, or they don’t stay that way for long, instead they are often rough tracks every bit as lumpy as singletrack with added 4wd and tractor ruts.

We need mtb size wheels on our gravel bikes IMO.

BadlyWiredDog

More than capable of “riding light” thanks, just looking for a way of improving the weakest link on a bike that maybe isn’t being used for its intended purpose.

Are you running tubeless? If not, that’d be where I’d go next. I’m riding a cross bike with 35s in the Peak with rocky off road thrown in. I still have to run higher pressures than are ideal for best grip / comfort, but don’t get pinch-flats.

I suspect the issue with running physical protection in a smaller tyre like a 42 is simply fitting the insert without completely. The smallest Vittoria Air Liner size, for example, is 1.9″-2.2″, so I guess that might just work, but presumably you’re going to end up with a lot less air in your tyre, which could be interesting.

kerley
    Free Member

We need mtb size wheels on our gravel bikes IMO.

You may need, I am quite happy using 25c tyres where I live (I do ride light though)

If you NEED MTB size tyres AND/OR a procore type of solution you are really not using the right bike (and I am an expert in not using the right bike.)

rOcKeTdOg

a bike that maybe isn’t being used for its intended purpose

for me this is what brings the fun to gravel bikes.
    not sure there’s a procore skinny enough for 650bx42mm without a lot of very careful trimming

jamesfts
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. The DIY Huck Norris thread is a good read, been discussing similar ideas with a mate who is also having the same problem.

Fully appreciate it is completely the wrong bike for the job, problem is it’s bloody good fun seeing what it’ll get down.

Already tubeless, have thought about going 650b but a couple of bigger tyres and a foam noodle is way cheaper… if it works!

kerley
    Free Member

Fully appreciate it is completely the wrong bike for the job, problem is it’s bloody good fun seeing what it’ll get down.

Agree, and as someone whose only bike is even more the wrong bike it will get down anything (just slower than the right bike for the job). I run high PSI tubeless and have no problems with them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running 40-45psi on 700×40 G-One Bites, not sure i’m missing much by going lower pressure, had them lower by accident and it was just a bit too squirmy, dinged it to the rim on some stone teps and not lost the tyre either. How rough are you taking it?

monkeyboyjc

I’d been thinking about this for some time, the ‘gravel’ fireroads plates around my way are less gravel and more 5<10cm cotswold stone. The farmes lay the forestry paths with the stuff. It’s quite often I’ve heard a big ‘ding’ on my wheel as ive hit rougher paths.
    However lower pressures have led to tyres burping regularly on the rutted singletrack sections. so a combo of regular pressure and a pool noodle may do the trick.
    It’s only a matter of time before a manufacturer releases a gravel version imo.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Running 40-45psi on 700×40 G-One Bites, not sure i’m missing much by going lower pressure, had them lower by accident and it was just a bit too squirmy, dinged it to the rim on some stone teps and not lost the tyre either. How rough are you taking it?

Local usually means the Malverns, it’ll get down most of the off piste stuff.

I think the problem is I’m wanting slightly lower pressures for the slower, steeper, more technical stuff which in turn leads to the squirm/dinged rims you get riding the more sensible, higher speed “gravely” bits.

I’d be happy with 40psi and a bit of support in the tyre which I’m hoping a backer rod from the above thread may provide.

the00
    Free Member

I too have dinged a rim on my gravel bike using 40c tyres and 40psi. I now run higher pressure – 50 seems an ok balance. It does make for slower progress in the rough stuff, but i accept that as part of the compromise of a gravel bike.

I use backer rod on my MTB. I guess a smaller rod might work on a thinner wheel and tyre. I like the lightweight ride of my gravel bike, and it’s road manners, so I’m not tempted to try it just yet, but it might be worth trying if you ride mostly rougher stuff.

scruff
    Free Member

What tyres did you take off? Resolutes are good, they are towards the grippy chunky gravel tyre spectrum, they should suffice on their own.

orena45

Locally made (well, to me they are) gravel/CX tyre inserts by Ratbite might be worth a look.

jamesfts
    Free Member

What tyres did you take off? Resolutes are good, they are towards the grippy chunky gravel tyre spectrum, they should suffice on their own.

WTB Riddlers in a 37C I think, I’m hoping the Resolutes setup tubeless will be a bit more up to the job but will probably throw some sort of insert in the rear just to make doubly sure.

monkeyboyjc

Those ratbites seem to fill the niche market gap very well….

jamesfts
    Free Member

Resolutes turned up today and have ordered a pair of those ratbite inserts – seems the least faff for sensible money. Will report back once set up and tested.

Went for a potter last night, 60psi as I didn’t want to get caught out in the cold and rain – bloody uncomfortable!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mariposa make something that might work. The awfully named Tyreinvader.

At least the spelling of tyre is correct.

spacemonkey

40c Maxxis Rambler EXO TRs on my Whyte Friston. Thoroughly happy with them on road, gravel and the gnarly stuff up in the Surrey Hills. Wouldn’t charge around the flinty South Downs at warp speed on them though.

Probably running around 50psi, would need to check. Only drop it when riding solely on trails.

Loads of grip and solid commitment in all conditions.

I know, as with all tyres debates, that some people love them and others say they’re crap. Me, I’m about to replace them like-for-like as I believe in them.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just to report back on this one.

Tubeless WTB Resolutes had a bad start, picked up a thorn 500m into 1st ride resulting in jizz everywhere. Bike was thrown into the shed in a huff and not touched for a few weeks.

Finally got around to repairing the tyre and fitting the Ratbite insert and bloody hell it’s an improvement!

Loads more grip also a much more forgiving/predictable tyre, insert seems to be providing some support and currently getting away with 40psi front and 45psi rear, think I could even drop a few psi.

Excuse the flats, put them on for a pub ride at Crimbo but quite liked them so they’ve stayed for now 😆

Whyte Gisburn

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tyre insert/defender/procore for 700×42 gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.