Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyre hand wringing for my big mountain 29er.
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah I know.

I’ve got a Sierra Nevada trip coming up and my existing 29er dhf 2.5 non WT is basically spent. At the same time, I know the Nobby Nic on the back isn’t really up to the rocks, so both are going to be changed.

Tyres are too bloody expensive to speculatively buy now to just try out, so, does anyone give me a feel how the DHR compares to the DHF in front and rear use?

I’m currently thinking DHR on the front because I know everywhere will be dusty and blown out after the summer and the DHF I used last year struggled a bit with the worst of that. I was going to go for a DHF on the rear for a bit more speed.

SirHC

Assegai has been popular with the EWS and dh world cup riders. Tempted to pick one up, fits between the shorty and dhf.

DHR is very good under braking, not a fan of it as a front tyre, prefer the DHF, feel its better for cornering.

Was running a DHF up front (2.5, dh casing, maxxgrip) and a DHR2 out back (2.3 exo), managed to destroy the dhr2 a few weeks ago and have been running a 2.3 dhf on the back, quite a bit less braking traction…

On another note, the 2.5/2.4 variants have a much bigger knobs than the 2.3’s. So a fair bit more traction, I run the dh casing up front for the maxxgrip compound, its a little bit draggier on the ups, but well worth it for the traction on the way down!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Crikey that assegai is a bit of a monster.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bonty SE5 is a good option front or rear and isn’t too expensive, plus it’s tougher than Maxxis EXO, and a slightly leftfield rear option, which I used on my last Spanish holiday, is the Maxxis Griffin 3C DD. Not cheap, and it did look a bit ragged by the end of the week but it performed brilliantly.

chiefgrooveguru

I doubt you’ll be disappointed with DHF 2.5 front and DHR2 2.4 rear, they’re pretty impressive. However the DHR2 does really drop anchor harder when braking.

The DHF is rounder than the DHR2 and the side knobs are further out to the sides. I’m tempted to go DHR2 front and rear because I like how it brakes but not until the DHF wears out.

Every review I’ve read of the Assegai says it’s super grippy but one of the slowest rolling tyres ever. And clogs a bit in mud (if you’re going at amateur speed).

mark90
    Free Member

I was looking at the Vee Flow Snap at the weekend, looks like a good option for the front, DHF esque center tread but with bigger side knobs that should engage quicker and with more bite.

I do like the DHR rear for braking grip, especially when riding the steeps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went years ago with supertacky dual ply 2.5″ high rollers, they were my only regret of the trip as it involved a lot more fire road climbing than the website suggested and my fitness wasn’t upto dragging those beasts up hills! They did however stick like shit to a blanket on pretty much every surface and felt like cheating on the way down.

I wouldn’t worry too much, it’s dry. It’s not like trying to deal with a claggy british hillside with roots, rocks, mud and puddles. Anything with a bit of grip will probably be fine. If I was going again it would be with something more trail orientated, dual compound and tubeless.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Ive been going with DHF 2.5 WT on the front and DHR2 2.3 DD rear for almost everything but recently been thinking about going Magic Mary Addix Soft Super Gravity both ends…. New GoodYear Newton looks interesting too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Anything with a bit of grip will probably be fine.

Its not the first time I’ve been and I’m familiar with the terrain. It’s not like UK dry conditions, you get loads more gravel over hard because of the schist.

Traditional low profile closely spaced nobs for dry conditiins behave exactly like if you use them in mud, they just skate about. I’m actually contemplating taking a shorty or a Magic Mary instead of the DHR for the front!

I’ve not used a DHR and wondered if it might give me a bit more certainty over the DHF on the front.

Alex

Last year with Ciclo Montana, I had 2.8s- Rekon on the front and a WTB TCS something on the back. Survived the week, but the rear did look pretty battered my the end of it.

I’m a massive fan of the Maxxis WT range. 2.5 DHF / 2.4 DHR II. I’ve ridden a few times out there (Orgiva way) and never wanted a shorty!

Maybe the best choice is whatever gives you the most confidence!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Isn’t that always the case Al?!

Alex

It works for me. I make up all sorts of reasons why this set of tyres are perfect/useless confidence inspiring/lethal etc etc. It make be the reason I am the proud owner of the barely used herefordshire tyre mountain 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’d go with Shorty 2.5 / DHR2 2.4 then. You won’t be disappointed with the Shorty and if conditions are still pleasant here when you return you can take it off until the mid reappears.

the00
    Free Member

Magic Mary sounds a good option to me, maybe a bit less aggressive than a Shorty

oldnpastit

I’ve been with Nobby Nics (with the snake skin sidewall protection) and they were fine. Maybe I’m just not aggro enough though (whatever that means).

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

MSC Gripper might also be worth a look?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyre hand wringing for my big mountain 29er.’ is closed to new replies.