Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tyre comparison for alps
  • pedlad

Sorry for the tyre thread but just wondered where people would rank the following tyres I’m thinking of getting.

For context it’s on a trail bike that I’ll take to the alps and I may try foam inserts with them to protect carbon rims. Ideally I’d like mixed conditions “trail” tyres that are not too heavy for using back here after rather than heavy DH specific ones. But obviously trying avoid punctures! Budget ideally <£50

Previously I’ve liked Spez Butcher, Vittoria Goma (discontinued) not so keen on Chunky Monkey so thinking about:

Specialized Eliminator 2.4 either Grid or BB
    Specialized Butcher 2.4 either Grid or BB
    WTB Vigilante 2.5 – assuming these fit in non boost pikes
    Maxis – find the massive range v confusing, plus expensive
    Michelin – latest wild enduro tread looks v odd in pictures at a time when all other treads tend to look similar – any experiences?

Any others to consider? Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

Hans Dampf Supergravity Addix Soft rear 2.35in

Front depends on whether you expect it to be dry. If so then Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Exo 2.5in. If there’s a chance of rain, maybe Magic Mary Snakeskin Addix Soft 2.35in.

kiksy
    Free Member

Big fan of Super Gravity Schwalbes. Been using the same pair of Marys for 3 years in the alps in carbon rims with no punctures or issues. Planning on using them again this year. They are heavier and a bit draggier than the normal versions but for me it’s one week a year in a special place and I’d rather not have the hassle of punctures or damaged rims.

rickon
    Free Member

Depends on what and where you’re riding, the Alps is a big place.

I tend to take a pair that’ll do well is most conditions across France, Italy and Switzerland.

Front: Maxxis DHF Exo 2.5wt 3c, Rear: Maxxis Agressor TR Exo 2.3 or DHR2.

colp

Never had a problem in years with a Shorty on the front, High Roller on the back. Copes with most Alpine conditions.

pedlad

It’s Morzine. I’ll have look at the maxis.

Anyone have any thoughts on the eliminator or the WTB Vigilante?

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of TNT vittoria gomas in 29er that I didn’t get on with – if you want them ping me a message, they’ve done about 20 miles max.

pedlad

v kind offer thanks but I’m 650b.

chakaping
    Free Member

WTB tough carcass tyres will be durable enough for sure, but they’re a bit more wooden in feel than Schwalbe or Maxxis (for want for a better description).

They also used to have very tight beads, which made fitting and removing a pain and something I feared having to do on the trail. That may have changed, but I now prefer to spend a few quid more on Maxxis or Schalwbe so I have full confidence in my tyres.

the00
    Free Member

Totally depends where and which trails, but for me I think the Minion combo of DHF front, DHRII rear is pretty spot on for most stuff. Exo (or Exo+) casing with insert on rear.

The DHF isn’t so great at braking or in loam when on the back, but does roll faster. Ditto the Aggressor, just another step further down the scale.

DHRII can be run on front, although I’ve not tried it.

I like Magic Mary for trails that are a bit wetter, more roots, but find it a bit squirmy on rocks.

Not tried the others.

pinkwafer

I’m currently running Michelin Wild enduro front and the faster drier enduro rear version on a regular Hightower. They’ve been great. Durable, wear well, and very confidence inspiring. Tried Schwalbe HD and ripped the knobs and split the carcass in next to no time. I rate the magic Mary but would choose the Wild Enduro over it now I’ve ridden both.

pedlad

Thanks for info on Michelin – good to know, just wondering about having a bit more volume for the alps than the 2.35 they come in.

Any thoughts experience of the Specialized Eliminator 2.6 – I’ve read it comes up more as 2.4 so would fit in the Pikes

stevied
    Free Member

good to know, just wondering about having a bit more volume for the alps than the 2.35 they come in

The Wild Enduro FRONT is 2.4″ and has good volume.

UK-FLATLANDER

I’m a Schwalbe fan – Hans Dampf upfront and Rock Razor at the back. Would probably move the Dampf to the rear and use a Magic Mary upfront if it’s damp/wet.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Running 2.4 wild Enduros F&R on my 29 specie enduro, carbon rims.  23 psi f, 25psi r.  Survived 5 days in Wales, ranging from wet to dry trail centres including BPW, many huge landings too flat or worse due to being totally FUBAR after 5 days.  Minor nick on sidewall and nobbles still good.  Now on Dartmoor with extended rock gardens and still going strong.  Also ride South Downs where enduro casing seems pretty flint resistant, unlike Kenda and many maxxis.

I will be buying again, though maybe not the sticky front compound as its a bit draggy and its knobblies are beginning to loose their square edges.

Mrs M runs a wild enduro on the front at similar pressure on her 27.5 ebike and she’s smashing out the widow maker (basically its a 2 mile granite garden at the moment)

Grip is good to outstanding on most surfaces.

peaslaker
    Free Member

on a trail bike
    …the alps
    …carbon rims
    …mixed conditions “trail” tyres
    …not too heavy
    …Budget ideally <£50

Being in the alps doesn’t necessarily mean you wreck gear but wrecking carbon rims is a non-trivial hurt.

My own experience is of:

1. Inexplicably discovering (seriously) dinged (alu) rims
    2. Punctures if my fun quotient (confidence) gets up

At the end of several months last year I downgraded from Bontrager G5s (DH tyres) to Wild Enduro front and a Bonty SE4 out back but the riding had become more uplift assisted back country than uplift and park plummet. I’d taken those tyres off the bike months earlier when the puncture occurrence got too high.

Bike was a 170/165 enduro bike. Key thing is to have enough air in your suspension. If your suspension bottoms out, all the load goes into the tyre. That’s always going to get you rim dings and pinch flats. Then decent tyre pressure; nothing mad; at 85kg I was 24/28 psi. Rebound fast; packing down feels godawful and that feeling also ends up loading into the tyres. LSC adjustment (if you’ve got it) to dial down the liveliness of that fast rebound.

FWIW, I find thin casing tyres really pingy in Alpine terrain and that gets worse with tubeless so I managed reasonably well with those tyres on tubes. More than likely YMMV.

Dango
    Free Member

I’m off to Nava in Italy in a few weeks and have had some recent rear tears in the UK on DHR Exo and I’m looking at either Butcher BLCK DMND 2Bliss in 2.6 or a maybe a DD compound Maxxis.

Has anyone experience on the Butcher BLCK DMND on super rocky terrain?

pedlad

Hi Yes

Just back from an Alps week on Butcher BLCK DMND 2.6 rear and Eliminator BLCK DMND 2.6 front.
    Plenty of rocky runs with no punctures. A bit of a bugger to get on initially and seal but that was more to do with inserts and poor valves.

Eventually I ran them tubeless, no inserts and they were great. Pretty darn stiff sidewalls so hard to judge pressures with thumbs. Eventually I ran at about 19-21.

Grip was v good. Impressed for the offer price.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tyre comparison for alps’ is closed to new replies.