Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tyre choice for Elan Valley
  • dvowles82
    Free Member

Off to do a 30km route at Elan Valley this weekend, organised by British Cycling. It’ll be the first event I have done, and arguably the first ‘proper’ ride I will have done outside of Welsh trail centres, FOD and BPW. No idea what to expect in terms of mud or technical scariness, but it’s graded Red.

I’m a bit paranoid about rear tyre choice though. For 2.5 years now, I have used Maxxis Minion DHF on the front, and a Maxxis Ardent on the rear, of a Bird Aeris. It’s been fine for all the riding I have done, and never really felt the need to change it.

Not familiar at all with the Elan Valley landscape, but would the Ardent be way out its depth? Is a High Roller 2 advised?

Tiger6791

I’m doing the 50k

Ardent on front & a worn cross mark on the rear, looking at the 30k you could happily go round on a cross bike

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not going to matter.  Tyres only matter if you are going really fast and pushing the boundaries of performance, or it’s really muddy.  You won’t be doing the former on a BC ride I’d hope, and Elan Valley is probably not going to be the latter.  I’d take what you have.

If you aren’t in one of those two situations it doesn’t matter much.  Plus those tyres you have are very grippy.  You will definitely not run out of traction, you will definitely be fine 🙂

astormatt
    Free Member

I am doing the 50k. Will be running High Roller 2/Rekon combo.

I doubt there will be any scary technical sections, even though it’s graded red.

More importantly, long range forecast is showing sun! Let’s hope it stays that way…..

Tiger6791

Sunny, icy and so so cold

Wasn’t tech at all just a great route with some tough hills

Got round the 50k on a rigid bike with knackered worn out tyres and it was spot on apart from a couple of descents where a bit more grip would have been handy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice for Elan Valley’ is closed to new replies.