Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyre change time – Vittoria tyres
  • dawson

Currently have On-one Chunky Monkey (f) and Smorgasbord (r) on my rigid singlespeed that are pretty worn and getting ready for a change.

Vittoria seem to be getting favourable reviews so fancy giving them a try.

Looking at the Agarro as front tyre as it supposedly still rolls ok

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/agarro-enduro-and-trail.html

Then either Barzo

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/barzo-cross-country.html

Or Gato as the rear (although it looks like it may clog with mud despite being advertised as a mud tyre)

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/gato-cross-country.html

Any feedback on these?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got Goma’s on my Scandal, black, round, sticky, feel like a Minion with even bigger knobs. Not light or fast rolling, but not bad enough to be described as heavy or draggy unless you were against the clock or borderline about keeping up. No idea what price On-One will be selling them at this week but they’re a bargain, I was tempted to stock up but I’ve got crates full of new and part worn tyres!

And 40mm Terrano Wet on my cross bikes, obviously very different tyres but still really good. I was out with a (less fit, but only slightly) mate on his road bike this lunchtime as the brakes are borked on mine and we were pretty much evenly matched. And I was really tipping it over into corners, usually I find cross tyres horrible on the road!

qwerty
    Free Member

I have a Martello front paired with a Barzo rear, which works well as all rounders.

I have run Barzo/Barzo for long (80m) rides when riding less rad and wanting less rolling resistance.

easily
    Free Member

I have Revolutions – which are nothing like what you’re after – but I am pleased with them. Good quality tyres.

matt_outandabout

Goma’s here.

They are ok, nice balance of rolling speed Vs grip, supple Vs no punctures so far. Went up tubeless so readily and first time.

£15 the pair with a free camelback bottle from on one….

h4muf
    Free Member

Gato 2 29ee on front, very impressed! Fast and decent in slop even for small knobs.

dpfr

I’m running a pair of Barzos and have come to like them. I’m very much a cross country rider but destroyed a pair of Racing Ralphs within four weeks over the summer so tried the Barzos. They have lasted pretty well and I put over 2000 km on them before I changed the rear a few weeks back. I took a little time to adapt to them at the beginning because they just occasionally seemed to lack a little grip.

kneed

Gato 2 on the rear here.

Bought as it was a 2.2 and has reasonable reviews.

Happy so far: I got it from on-one who list it as ‘black-antrachite’ or something: basically those ones have light grey sidewalls. If that bothers you.

I’ve managed to put 2 cuts in it: from heavy landings – so they’re not bullet proof.

Grip is much better than you’d expect in the wet. It seems to roll well too.

I’d buy another – unless this one gets another cut.

Oh – and some places seem to have v1 of the Gato: which looks like a different beast altogether. I cant comment on that one.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Got a Barzo 2.25 up front and Gato 2.2 on the rear for winter riding. Gato is superb for most wet conditions, even seems to find a bit of grip uphill on off camber roots which surprised me. Does get a bit overwhelmed by really thick sticky slop but I’ll take its other attributes over dealing with that.

stennah
    Free Member

+1 for the Barzo I run them front and back on my Charge Duster done a fair few miles and not lost much tread good for xc not sure about anything else

Kryton57

I do this also on the winter wheels:

Got a Barzo 2.25 up front and Gato 2.2 on the rear for winter riding. Gato is superb for most wet conditions, even seems to find a bit of grip uphill on off camber roots which surprised me. Does get a bit overwhelmed by really thick sticky slop but I’ll take its other attributes over dealing with that.

The Gato grips and rolls much better than it looks like it would.   On my good wheels I have Barzo front, Mezcal rear.  The Mezcal grips surprisingly well in the damp but not in mud.   This is for XC.

jree
    Free Member

Gato 2 front and rear on my soul. Like a mud xc tyre, fast rolling and lots of grip.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve got Barzo’s on my Anthem, I like ’em. good all rounder xc tyres.

bob_summers

After a few years away from MTB, I’ve just started with the 2.4″ Gomas from on-one. Used to swear by 2″ Larsen TTs – riding the same stuff, even though I have lost all the meagre MTB ability I once had – the Gomas feel like cheating. They punctured every ride though with small thorns, so have just tubelessed them which as Matt says, was no drama.

jfb01
    Free Member

Love the Barzos.Used them f&r. 29 x 2.25,2.35 & 2.6. Bought mine from Lordgun. Good prices.

dawson

Thanks all, seems positive.

@jfb01
    – have recently found the Lordgun site – odd name!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyre change time – Vittoria tyres’ is closed to new replies.