Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tyre Bulge
  • stocker
    Free Member

Hi,

Not quite sure what is happening to my tyres.

On friday night riding home from work my tyre had a sudden bulge in it. It looked as if something had been rubbing on the side wall. I checked to see if anything was rubbing but nothing was coming into contact with the side wall.

Today I was riding on different wheels and the exact same thing has happened. All the little bits of rubber that stick out the tyre from being in the mold have warn off. Again I check if it rubs on anything and it dosnt.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Cheers guys

Tom

colournoise

Are they Continentals?

shortcut

This needs pictures and more detail!!

spooky_b329

You can get blisters in tyres when the tyre sealant gets into the carcass, but this sounds different.

Check frame and forks for flex, play, cracks etc, evidence of axles moving in the dropouts. Could only be on contact whilst pedaling hard, or braking.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are you perchance pumping them up to the high end of the pressure range in the morning? I have had similar in very hot weather. After a few issues I checked the pressure during the day – it was markedly different!

matt_outandabout

Sharp edges on rim?

schnor
    Free Member

After putting on (correct pressure / etc) a brand new continental 4000S I found two ~1cm bulges before I’d even had a chance to use them.

I put some boot patches on the inside and they’ve been fine for the last few weeks or so, until the inevitable fiery death at the bottom of a cliff / etc

TheSanityAssassin

Road bike?
    MTB?
    CX?
    Rim brakes?
    Disc brakes?
    Different tyres on the different wheels, or same tyres on the different wheels?

stocker
    Free Member

It was on my road bike, CAAD10.

The tyres were both Planet X Rage ones with the Kevlar band.

First wheelset are Aksium’s and the set today are American Classic 420s.

My track pump has been playing up so perhaps they had the wrong pressure.

Other than that I am completely stumped.

shortcut

Worth a call to Planet X maybe they are faulty?!?

bland

I had a road tyre delaminate in one black causing an egg like bulge, on Nervi g when you are doing high 40’s when it happens

I see others have had issues with contis going funny shapes!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Serious braking can also cause the pressure to rise due to heat, exacerbated in the sun I’d say. Get a pressure gauge?

brakes
    Free Member

it’s not next to the valve is it?
    is the bead seated properly?
    enough pressure in?

stocker
    Free Member

photo (1)

photo (2)

photo (3)

photo

Images are above.

I was thinking about it again today. Did two large hills at quite an effort on both the days, could it be that I over rolled the tyre?

Sending the pics to planet X as well.

Tom

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Bulge’ is closed to new replies.