Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tyre bloody levers.
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Bent two trying to get my hans dampfs off my flow ex wheels. Took me what felt like a year trying to get the buggers on in the first place.

Do I go for plastic coated metal ones for the thinesss or somethimg like pedros?

Del

been pleased with pedros. had them a few years, used with road and mtb tyres, and ghetto tubeless mtb setup too.

Northwind

Pedros are quite good, prefer the Lezyne powerlevers though- they’re not that much thinner but have a perfect hook. I’ve snapped one, can’t remember what tyre it was, ust highroller on a flow ex maybe… But just the once and they’ve been brilliant otherwise

medoramas
    Free Member

Topeak Shuttle 1.1 have been with me few years – great little things! They passed the Ultimate Test Of Schwalbe Marathons Winter – and they did it few times, which means they’re unbreakable 8)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Stans can be tight. Are you definitely pulling the bead back into the rim well all the way round first?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yes, bead in the middle. Tried removing at valve first and also opposite.
    Im usually just a hands no levers man but these are unbelievable. Might actually order a few different ones to see what works best. At least they’re not going to burp.

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve used all sorts of plastic ones over the years, some of which have snapped. The best ones I’ve used by far are the Topeak Shuttle 1.2 – so Id really recommend those:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/topeak-shuttle-tyre-levers-1-2/rp-prod28714

leafylane
    Free Member

Recently bought a crank brother’s one its much like a nuckle duster and works brilliantly.

wwaswas

whatever you use make sure sure it’s in your camel/seat pack.

There’s no point using a 2ft long lever in the garage if the only tyre lever you carry on a ride is the 2″ long bendy plastic one on a multi-tool.

drewd
    creamegg
    Free Member

whatever you use make sure sure it’s in your camel/seat pack.

There’s no point using a 2ft long lever in the garage if the only tyre lever you carry on a ride is the 2″ long bendy plastic one on a multi-tool.

what bag to carry track pump?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Another vote for the Topeak Shuttle. Fantastic lever combo.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another crank brothers user here. Works like the machine they use at the garage for car tyres. Good for putting them back on, too

jonnyrockymountain

topeak shuttle here

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always used park tyre levers.
    they’re pretty cheap so easily replaceable. i’ve managed to bend the tip of one but i’ve yet to have one snap on me.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-tyre-levers-3-x-hooked-tl1/rp-prod7205?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CJO-k8bipMMCFSIYwwoddRIAqA&gclsrc=aw.ds

nedrapier

I’ve got the steel core plastic outer icetoolz ones.

If you can use the std puncture repair kit plastic ones without snapping them or bending them to uselessness, you can probably use your thumbs.

So really, if you need levers, you need need good ones. Icetoolz ones do the trick and are diddy enough for seatpacks.

I’m sure all of them ^ are perfectly good too! Although I found the park tools ones a bit thick, they introduce too much extra tension if you need to get a second one in.

edit: they’re exactly the same as these, bar the name in the middle.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/tools/xlc-tyre-levers-with-steel-core-3-pieces

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got some metal icetoolz ones from halfords.

They utterly trash the finish on the rims, but at least the tyre goes on first time every time so I can live with that as my bikes aren’t ‘smart’ anyway, i just want to ride the **** thing, not spend 2 hours in the garrage trying to get a tyre on the rim!

superfli
    Free Member

Love the Pedros levers. I find them the perfect shape and width to hook out the tyre with. Extremely tough too

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll be able to get any tyre on with your fingers if you just use TALC, it’s the best natural lubricant know to Man for sticky rubber. You’ll kick yourself for not having known this sooner, once you’ve tried it.

ibnchris

I’d avoid park ones at all costs. Snapped several on road bike tyres…

fooman

Topeak Shuttle – strong enough not to break and well shaped to not damage rims.

nedrapier

if you just use TALC

You’ll find out exactly how good a lubricant it is if you slip while pouring it out and you decide to top up your climbing chalk bag with the spillage.

White powders in dissimilar properties shock.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Pedros levers – never snapped one! I still have an original Milk lever in my toolbox as well.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well fortunate smiled upon me as my LBS had some top peak shuttles in stock. Took me 15 mins but got that damn tyre off. The rim tape had screwed up inside (maybe from me squeezing them on) so that could of been a bit of the problem.

Thanks all.

z1ppy

Pedro’s for me, tried some Soma’s, plastic covered steel ones & the plastic broke off..

househusband

Pedro’s! Nice bright colours so you easily find them and also don’t lose them when your on the trail or road fixing a puncture. Never broken one.

hainman
    Free Member

I had to buy some of the icetoolz(cyclepro) ones after having a fight to get my Magic mary off a Sun MMX rim,only found out about these when i punctured at Inners Uplift and started to panic and was given a shot of them,straight home and ordered them

Jeffus
    Free Member
    Tracey

What you want is a Cyclo tyre removal and fitting tool, puts them on and takes them off in seconds with no chipped nails. Can even get it in my backpack.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Im all sorted ta, see post a few above ^^^^^^

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tyre bloody levers.’ is closed to new replies.