Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tyre advice
  • spikyjames
    Free Member

Righto,

As much as this may well turn out to be about me getting a new set of tyres I’m actually after a bit of advice (and the reasons behind) on tyre set up.

I currently have the following sets of tyres

Maxxis Aspen 2.1 front and rear
    Maxxis Crossmarx 2.1 front and rear
    Maxxis Medusa 2.1 front and rear

notice a trend? not so much that they’re all Maxxis (sort of have a soft spot for them) but they’re all the same size.

Now the thing is I had a shoulder op back in March and am starting to get out on the bike a bit more no, but am having a bit of difficulty re-gaining the little confidence I once had.

From reading the forum I’ve noticed the trend seems to be for a bigger tyre up front for a bit of added grip?

So what I’m really saying is I need a bit of advice on what sort of set-up including tyres I should look at for the coming months. Buy a bigger medusa for the front? possibly, but last year I did feel they dragged alot compared to the others I have.

So, hopefully you understand where I’m coming from.

Fire away with your advice and tyre choice, they don’t have to be Maxxis either.

Thanks in advance.

James

stevepitch
    Free Member

James theres a fair few factors to consider, what and where are you riding? Me suggesting a swampthing for greasy rocks is going to end in disaster like wise suggesting a rubber queen for deep gloopy mud isnt going to work either!

Also what type of riding do you do? XC, DH etc etc.

Generally I run a 2.3 front and rear but if your riding in muddy conditions you my want to run a 2.1 as it will cut through the mud easier, if you have little tyre clearance again you may want to keep the 2.1’s to stop mud building up around the chainstays and fork.

Me personally Im running a swampthing 60a at the rear and Minion DHf super tacky on the front which works for my local area which is the chilterns and swinley (so mud and roots)

spikyjames
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

Yeah, type of riding might have been a good idea, pretty much just XC. Not been for a while but for similar trails to Swinley etc. and I’m currently riding a Maxlight Xc pro 3.

I did have a set of the old 2.1 swamp things a while back which I got on with quite well, so I might see how I get on with the Medusa for a bit before actually buying something else.

James

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.