Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Typhoon over Stourbridge today
  • Houns

Anyone else see it? I missed it but apparently was zooming low over the area for some time

Have read it was a training mission for the Olympics, practising taking down a light aircraft.

Houns

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dwjiyi-qLhv0%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&feature=youtu.be&v=wjiyi-qLhv0&gl=GB[/video]

jota180
    Free Member

Have read it was a training mission for the Olympics, practising taking down a light aircraft.

They’ll put anything on these days, we should make the final of that sport easy

Houns

😆

Haze

Heard it, peered out the office window but couldn’t spot anything. Sounded like it looped around a couple of times…

MrTall
    Free Member

I heard it twice as well, wondered what it was but couldn’t be arsed to walk 10ft to the window.

grim168
    Free Member

I’ve spent all day EB welding flight re-fuel probes for ’em 😀

tomhoward

One flew over Harrogate on its way back to base from olympics training the other week, the sonic boom shook the whole building! (guess he was in a rush to get home for countdouwn?)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Here’s how you take down a light aircraft…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c2fkjiOP2U[/video]

ian martin
    Free Member

A couple years ago I watched a typhoon dogfighting with a tornado and harrier over the lammermuirs. The typhoon seemed to be able to turn at right angles and fly up vertically at crazy speeds.
    It was way cool.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye, I saw one at Leuchars a few years ago, well impressive innit.

timbur
    Free Member

Two flew over the garden I was working in last week at low levels going at a fair old lick.
    Mad noise and gave me goose bumps :O)

timc
    Free Member

RAF hawks & the occasional Tornado fly up the mersey all the time, right past my bedroom window (15th floor), pretty cool sight!

tomhoward

Cool but in a different way, in Scotland a couple of years ago we saw a Hercules fly over at what couldnt have been more than 250 feet up, just making slow sweeping turns. Majestic it was.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I used to work on the EJ200 (the engines)….but somehow I’m now in IT 😕

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You don’t see it so much now but in the 80’s NATO used to have combat excersises called ‘Mallet Blow’. I lived in a rural area outside Durham & one day while keeping an eye out for low flying stuff saw something approaching at a rate of knots & flying low. Turns out it was an F1 Mirage & it was popping along, I looked around to find his mate only to see something fast & low dissapear behind my local pub which was 500 yds away. An F15 appeared, obviously in persuit of the Mirage & I can honestly say he was at about 200ft & mustv’e been doing 350-400knts mebbe more. Followed closely by HIS wingman. The three of them turned hard with vortices coming off the wingtips of all three. As they headed off to the south two Tornados came from behind the hill & headed off with them. I was gobsmacked to say the least.
    They were just out of sight then two F4’s went over me at daisy cutting height on reheat & chased the rest, I fib you not, I almost pooed my pants.
    Talk about a personal airshow.

CountZero

Used to see all sorts of interesting stuff when RAF Lyneham was open. When I worked in Calne the studio looked directly towards Lyneham, and running up to airshow season I used to regularly watch a C130 stooging around at about 1000ft, before suddenly seeming to pivot at the tail and drop almost vertically before pulling out just above the runway. Khe Sanh Drops are bloody spectacular!
    Also used to get Chinook and Puma flying past at very low level, like less than 200ft and very fast, which is fast with a Chinook; they were certainly low enough to be able to see panel joins and rivets, and the crew looking out of the cockpit windows.
    Damn, I miss that…

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Cool but in a different way, in Scotland a couple of years ago we saw a Hercules fly over at what couldnt have been more than 250 feet up, just making slow sweeping turns. Majestic it was.

Ditto, saw one flying over Brough in Cumbria, real low in the valley practising drops out of the load bay back door, about four of them, was great to watch

Drac

See them often around here because of the ranges, they make a lovely noise.

Houns

It’s back. It’s Intercepting a da 42

Houns

Circling Brierley hill and Stourbridge, the light aircraft must be practicing bombing Stourbridge

smudge
    Free Member

This is pretty good, doubt it will show the military planes up on it though!
    Flightradar

click the plane and all the info comes up about them on the left hand side bar

Haze

Just flew over Netherton, weaving around a bit.

Assuming someone must have locked onto it…

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

What’s more impressive is that they’ve got a serviceable one 😉

Houns

Only one today not two like yesterday, the other must have broken down or they can’t afford the fuel

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps the light aircraft pwn3d it ?

Houns

After Stourbridge it goes off over Kiddy and Bewdley into Wales. When i hear the light aircraft coming back over Brierley Hill i can see the Typhoon following the River Severn then over Kinver, Enville Kingswinford, Wordsley, it then follows Brettel Lane to Brierley Hill then turns heads over my house to intercept the other plane over Stourbridge

PJM1974
    Free Member

I used to live right next to the A12, so every April I was treated to the RAF en route to London for Her Maj’s birthday. I’ve seen formations of Typhoons, Tornados, C-17s and AWACS too.

However one summer’s day in 1984 found me in the playing fields of my primary school. I heard the familiar roar of engines and was treated to a sixteen plane flyby…leading the formation were four F-111s followed by eight Tornados and bringing up the rear were four Lightnings, the only time I have ever seen the latter flying.

Bloody noisy they were too, all the better for leaving a massive grin on my face that even an hour of maths failed to remove.

ferrit32
    Free Member

BAe Warton is not so far from my house so we are regularly treated to the test pilots trying to pull the wings off the Typhoon.

On a side note for some reason there is a Lightening parked up in a back garden behind my nearest petrol station, rather beautiful in a Cold War technology way. They were a very noisy beast when in the air.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Typhoon over Stourbridge today’ is closed to new replies.